Isis allergic or doesn't like Wellness?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Isis allergic or doesn't like Wellness?

Postby srichmond » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:16 pm

I have a question. I found a puppy about a month ago. The vet thinks she is approximately 3 months old now. I put her on Wellness Just for puppy. She eats it fine and seems happy and healthy but has had loose runny stool since I found her and now she has a little bit of blood in her stool so of course I took her to the vet. No parisites or worms and parvo came back negative. But it seems to be still happening. Not everytime but randomly. The vet seems to think she is fine. She is eating drinking playing fine she isn't lathargic at all just loose stool with some blood. Anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to find another vet or could the food be causing her issues?
srichmond
Newborn Bully

Re: Isis allergic or doesn't like Wellness?

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Did they test for giardiasis? It does sound like you might need to do another test or two. I wouldn't think it would be the food, Wellness is a good brand.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 pm

What type of tests did they do on her stool and how many/often? One negative fecal float doesn't mean that she is free of parasites.

I don't think you need to find a new vet but I would call them and let them know that she is still having loose stool and what they recommend for a next step.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby srichmond » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Thank you both very much for your help. It was Infact giardia. The vet had tested her for it but it came back negative but today after going in again and her looking at it under the microscope it was giardia. So we are on fenbendazole and flagyll. Hopefully she feels better soon.
srichmond
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Glad you got her checked, hope she gets well soon! Did she get her shots while she was at the vet's? It's awfully nice of you to take in a stray puppy!
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby srichmond » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Yes she did get her first round of shots when we went. I have been wanting to get a dog for awhile just hadn't felt guided yet if that makes sense and then here came Isis out of the blue. It is perfect timing as I had to have surgery so I am not working right now and I have the time to take care of her. We are having our struggles with potty training and me learning how to train her I'm learning how to have patience. Lol. She is doing well. Finally gaining a little weight but still needs to gain more. She is 3 months old and only weighs 12.5 lbs. Anyway baby steps for all of us here.
srichmond
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues