Please send thoughts/prayers for my dog Misty

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Please send thoughts/prayers for my dog Misty

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 pm

So glad to hear everything turned out ok. :) :nana:
What a scary situation.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bully_Love » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:14 am

Ok, so.. I got almost no sleep last night. Misty kept me (and everyone else) up the entire night acting like she was in HEAT. She kept barking to go outside, and at first we thought she just had to go, but when I took her out, she marked everywhere. She wanted to go around the entire neighborhood and when I would start heading back to the house, she would completely stop until the point that I had to carry her back. Once in, she just kept barking... and barking... She was also being incredibly clingy at the beginning (something else she's done in the past being in heat) barking and barking for every single person in the house. I have to keep her on a leash to restrict her movement (she can't jump on the couch until she heals) and she was doing everything possible to get off the leash and out of her harness, to the point I had to hold on to her or else she looked like she was going to hurt herself. She. was. terrible. Absolutely nothing could calm her down. She's only gotten this bad when she was actually in heat one time in her life. I know the hormones take a little bit to leave, but how can it be this bad? I called the vet and they said it's going to take a week for her to really settle down and they told me to give her Benadryl twice a day in the mean time to keep her calm. Has anyone else experienced this after a spay?
Bully_Love
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm

I don't see it as a simple spay really - feeling sick/unwell/system "off" then add in the reaction to the anesthetic plus is she still on painkillers? my dog was "nutty" on morphine after dental surgeries etc.... super unsettled, non stop whiny (he didn't bark - rarely) etc.

hope all mellows out soon....
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bully_Love » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Yes, she's still on painkillers. She's on tramadol and carprofen (along with Clavamox as an antibiotic). However, she was acting fine all day yesterday until last night came around. And it was definitely a very hormone-like reaction. She was trying everything to get us to take her outside because she wanted to go around the neighborhood to mark. She's done this before. But before, she was actually in heat. It just worried me because she's supposed to be resting, but instead, she was incredibly stressed/anxious for hours over this. :( The behavior started around 2am and lasted until 5am. Nothing I could do would distract her or calm her down.
Bully_Love
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:09 pm

I see - sure hope tonite is a better night for you both...
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:12 pm

I always miss these threads! I'm glad to hear her surgery went well, I hope she continues to improve. I can't add much else as I don't have experience in that area. :x
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bully_Love » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks everyone! Good news. :) That reaction she had lasted only that one night and ever since she's been wonderful. Her incision is healing beautifully and she's acting 100% like herself again. She's even been playing around with her toys again. ^^ She's still being picky every once in a while about eating but that's because of her meds (same reason why she's drinking a TON ). Just wanted to update to let everyone know she's doing wonderfully! :)
Bully_Love
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:29 pm

That's awesome news!!!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Glad to hear things are going well.
Leslie H
Regulator