Umbellial Hernia post Spay

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Umbellial Hernia post Spay

Postby R_peloquin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been reading up on umbellical hernias after noticing a bump on Zuzu after she was spayed. She was fixed very early at 8 wks per shelter adoption rules and only recently (about 4 wks later) have I started noticing this. I intend to take her to the vet tomorrow afternoon but was wondering if anyone has ever noticed a post spay bump resembling an umbellical hernia or if its just likely they "missed" it in surgery. I'm skeptical about putting her through surgery so soon after her spay also. What are people's feelings on them closing on their own? Likely? Not so likely? She is of course not in any pain (or I'd drop everything and rush her to the vet obvi.). Wondering if I'm just over stressing like a new puppy mom....

Thanks!
R_peloquin
Newborn Bully

Re: Umbellial Hernia post Spay

Postby ThreeTails » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 am

They spayed at 8 weeks?! Not saying that's wrong, just I've never heard of it.

My Emma has an umbilical hernia too. It's gotten a little bigger as she's grown, to a little larger than a quarter on an 18 lb pup, but it's not causing any trouble. Per the vet's suggestion we're waiting to have it fixed when she's in to get spayed.

Since you don't want to put your girl through anything so soon, I'd think you can wait. I don't think it will close on its own, though.

I was concerned about Emma's until the vet let me know that if it ever starts bugging Emma, she'll start to lick at it and then we'll know to take her in right away. Until that happens or she gets it fixed at 6 months old, it's just a part of her anatomy and nothing to worry about.
ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:15 am

It may not be related to the spay. You'll need to have it looked at to determine whether it's reducible or not and that will determine whether it requires surgery.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:15 pm

If its truly umbilical, it is not related to the spay. The spay surgery is between the umbilicus and the vulva, so if there is a lump about 1/3 the way down from the umbilicus, then it might be the spay surgery. Its hard to keep puppies quiet, and if there were other puppies to play with, a suture may have come loose and now there is a gap.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues