Lots of face scratching.....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Lots of face scratching.....

Postby Mooresmajestic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
Mooresmajestic wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Revolution does I think...

Maybe also Advantage multi.

I thought they only covered ear mites in cats since the mites are species specific, and that ear mites in
dogs are so rare... ?

Ear infections will cause the itchy and painful ears too. It's best to see a vet to determine the best course of treatment.

Yeah you might be right! I know we've used Advantage multi off label for something when I worked at the HS, but I can't remember what...

Revolution does sarcoptic mange and I think Multi does too... or maybe it's off label for sarcoptic. It may be demodex it's off
label for... ? That may be it, since Promeris was pulled off the market.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Lots of face scratching.....

Postby Mooresmajestic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 pm

gladahmae wrote:well the verdict is an ear infection, and possibly something with a tooth.

her ears are very red (even I could see that!) and have lots of bacteria going on in them, so we have a flush, drops, and prednazone for the inflammation. they said that if she keeps scratching at her *face* a lot, especially on the right side like she has been, that it might be something in her mouth that's irritating her. they're not sure if the ear scratching is just making the face scratching and gum inflammation a byproduct of the ear infection or if there is an issue with both. so we have meds, and an appt to go back in 10 days.

prednazone = thristy doggy = nighttime trips out to pee. :coffee:

Yea for getting things figured out! Just make sure you go to all of the recheck appointments and don't stop any of the meds until told to. It may take several rounds (and a month or more) to get rid of an infection that is as severe as it sounds. Momma sounds like she has a great home now and is finally getting the care she deserves.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Previous

Return to Health Issues