More frequent BM on grain free?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

More frequent BM on grain free?

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:28 pm

My two pitties Ruby and Stewie have been on Nature's Variety Instinct Rawboost Venison dry kibble now for almost a year and doing fantastic. It's the perfect solution to Stewie's allergies and they love the taste.
Recently I got my first foster dog and he was brought up entirely on on Pedigree, the big yellow bag I am guessing. It's all corn and grains.
I slowly but surely have him 100% transitioned over to the NV Instinct....and he loves it, seems healthy...his poo is nice and firm. But he went from having 2 bowel movements a day to almost 5 now!!! He has been fully transitioned over for 4 weeks now. And just wondering if I need to wait it out? My other dogs just go twice, and 5 seems excessive. But since it's healthy poop I'm not too concerned.
I occasionally give them a small thawed frozen raw venison "chub" made by Nature's variety as well...but other than that there aren't too many treats or people food given to them.
I've found a couple other people online with this issue....but no one has said how it turned out?

They are slightly smaller poo, but definitely a ton more frequent which is the opposite of what I expected!! Everything about grain free should be less poo!

What do you all think?

Wrigley is 4 years old, 65lbs, and what appears to be mainly pitbull, but maybe a small bit of hound or something in him?

Thanks for any thoughts!
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Re: More frequent BM on grain free?

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:44 pm

The only thing I can think of is could you be feeding him too much? It does seem like the frequency of the um, call of duty varies a lot from dog to dog.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 pm

My dogs eat a little raw and 1meal(1 cup) of grain free dog food a day. They poop maybe 3-4x a day, but its a small amount each time. I think the morning poop is the biggest. If that helps lol
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby mhocker10 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 am

Kanobi experienced the same issue after moving him to grain/gluten/potato free. I also feed NV kibble. Three things that he gets on almost a daily basis now that seemed to clear up his multiple bowel movements:

1) his nighttime snack is a small amount of ALL natural Jiff or Skippy peanutbutter. The backside of a teaspoon coated and then smeared onto the bottom of a small bowl. (this also has made his coat and skin beautiful)

2) he has RedBarn knuckle bones always.. that he chomps on when he wants to.

3) He gets fresh sliced apples as often as I have them, 1 to 2 slices a day.

I don't know if any or all of these contributed to his now controlled bowel movements, but it is working.

(side note: it takes different enzymes to digest kibble verus raw. this may be part of the issue)
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:34 am

mhocker10 wrote:Kanobi experienced the same issue after moving him to grain/gluten/potato free. I also feed NV kibble. Three things that he gets on almost a daily basis now that seemed to clear up his multiple bowel movements:

1) his nighttime snack is a small amount of ALL natural Jiff or Skippy peanutbutter. The backside of a teaspoon coated and then smeared onto the bottom of a small bowl. (this also has made his coat and skin beautiful)

2) he has RedBarn knuckle bones always.. that he chomps on when he wants to.

3) He gets fresh sliced apples as often as I have them, 1 to 2 slices a day.

I don't know if any or all of these contributed to his now controlled bowel movements, but it is working.

(side note: it takes different enzymes to digest kibble verus raw. this may be part of the issue)

Sounds like you're onto something here. So, what I had on hand that I know can be okay for dogs is pure pumpkin and cottage cheese. I put a tablespoon of each into his meals...and it seems to help. He was recommended to eat almost 3 cups a day....I did measure my little cup I use, and he's only getting about 2 cups a day...so I'll reduce it a tiny bit and see if that helps.
I feel bad being so lazy and not wanting to have a second kind of dog food, of course I will if I can't make this one work. But it sounds like NV is a great dog food, but maybe missing a little something! I'll be sure to put a little PB in a kong for all 3 of them every night as well and see if that helps too!

Thanks for the suggestions. I know Ruby is a snob and won't eat apples...but Peanut Butter is KING in our house! :)
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:My dogs eat a little raw and 1meal(1 cup) of grain free dog food a day. They poop maybe 3-4x a day, but its a small amount each time. I think the morning poop is the biggest. If that helps lol

I'm gonna take your advice...right now he's at about 2 cups a day....recommended is almost 3 cups, and that seems like a lot for grain free....so I'm gonna go a little under 2, and add pumpkin and or cottage cheese for him and see if that helps!

Thanks!
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm

After switching foods several times, I've seen significant differences between grain free diets, and not all of them worked well for my dogs. Grain free does not necessarily = good food.

If you don't see improvement soon, I'd switch and try a different food altogether.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:52 pm

So, we are at 5 days now, and I did call the vet because I just wanted to be sure, and she recommended that just because his poops are firm, he could be sensitive/allergic to that type of protein. She said that in her experience dogs with allergies do have bowel movements more often. I never knew that!
She said to try an off-the-wall protein...maybe a fish grain free like TOTW or Acana. So we will finish off this bag of Instinct and then I'll do some research on fishy blends. She said basically an elimination diet. Because he is a foster, we don't have any idea what food he was eating before, he is from a Chicago shelter, and they had no info on him...so we really don't know what he was eating or exposed to.

So, if anyone has any good FISHY dog food recommendations. I'd love to hear!!!
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:15 pm

I can vouche for the Acana fish formula (Pacifica?) as my girls have been on that for about 3-4 months now and are doing great! I fed TOTW for about 2 years with great results, but then with the recalls and such we started having many bile issues with the girls and I was constantly checking the bags it seemed for a recall. One of my girls can't have chicken due to allergy flare ups, and beef makes her poop a lot and kinda smelly for some reason with flakey skin.
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Health Issues