Cancer and supliments?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Cancer and supliments?

Postby twisted » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:25 pm

As some of you may know from my recent posts my buddy socks most likely has synovial cancer of the joint. because of the cost ,the area that its in among other things surgery and chemo might not be the best option. so i was doing some research and came across this link:

http://www.vitalityscience.com/v/articl ... r-info.asp

what do you guys think about his and the supplements?
twisted
Newborn Bully

Re: Cancer and supliments?

Postby tiva » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't know much about him, but it's worth talking with your vet. When my Tiva had mast cell cancer twice, our vet did a lot of research on nutritional support after surgery (we couldn't do chemo for a variety of reasons--mostly because Tiva was 15, and chemo was going to be about $7000 and require long stays at the hospital--not good for a dog with separation anxiety). Our vet put together a collection of supplements that she felt had good research support (if I remember correctly, this included tumeric, Coenzyme Q10, apigenin from parsley, and fish oil. ) I'm not suggesting this particular collection of supplements for your dog, but I am suggesting that your vet might be a good place to start the conversation.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:37 am

There is quite a bit of research suggesting low carbohydrate diets are best for pets with cancer.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby twisted » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:20 pm

i talked to the vet and he thinks that supplements arent really gonna help. i told what i read about the omega 3 fatty acids,soil based probitoic and he said that they wouldnt hurt to put him on it but he doesnt think they will help.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:16 am

My dog Romeo was recently diagnosed with cancer (intestinal adenocarcinoma) and I did quite a bit of reading about supplements, but there's so much conflicting information about so many things, and the only thing solid and consistent seems to be low carbohydrates. Romeo is already on a grain-free diet, so I just decided to stick with that.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby twisted » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:51 pm

i just read something about low carb diet but i could of swore i read conflicting information about that too. so much to take in.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby PitFriend » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:27 am

When my chocolate lab had lymphoma we kept her on a low-carb diet (mostly grain-free kibble, sometimes home cooked meals with meat/egg protein and pureed green veggies), and supplemented with Omega-3. I can't say for sure how much it helped, because she was also receiving chemotherapy, but she managed a high quality of life for 2 years post diagnosis. I like to think the diet and supplements helped her fight the cancer and tolerate chemotherapy better than she might have otherwise.
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:09 pm

This all assumes a 60lb dog...adjust dosage accordingly

Zero Carb
Broad spectrum probiotic (helps with B Vitamins and neurological function)
1gm Fish Oil per 10 lbs of dog (Neuro + cellular messaging/hormones)
Ubiquinol (There are two types of CO Enzyme Q10, this one is more bio available.) esp if you are switching to a Raw diet.
1/2 tsp tumeric + 1/4c coconut oil + 2 egg whites - cook over low heat, remove from heat and add 2 egg yolks to create a syrupy mix for the morning meal. (Yes you can add more meat/bone, this is just a supplement)
1/4 lb of liver per week

And two key epigenetic aids - sleep and cold.

Hopefully you live in a quiet house :)
No TV, noise, or bright lights after 7pm
Give your dog's body enough rest (and encourage HGH repair cycles) through removing unnatural light (computers!)

Depending upon where you live, your dog may like, or hate, this one..

I'd get a "stock tank" and fill it to a height that is equal to your dog's shoulder height. Your dog should be able to stand in the water without floating. Put a mat in the bottom to reduce slippage.
(http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bins-totes-containers/stock_tanks/rubbermaid-fg424288bla-stock-tank-100-gallon-black-270079?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Tanks-Stock-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CPCwpb-pr7gCFcue4Aod1UgAwA)

Get a thermometer, so you know the water temp. Your goal is 55 Degrees F for the water temp, after 30 mins.

Add 1-2 cups of Epson Salts to the water (Yes, you'll have to stir it to dissolve it, or you can boil some water first to dissolve the salts and then dump it into the tub. You will also need to rinse off your dog afterward. The Magnesium from the water bath will help your dog's ATP cycles and mitochondria (the energizer bunnies that keep things going). Mg also helps sleep cycles, which help healing.

Then, +3x per week spend 20-45 minutes trying to cool your dog's body. You should eventually be able to add ice to the bath. Colder is better, but try to limit your dog's stress. If you need to hand feed Prosciutto during this process, I would. If you've already been supplementing with Fish Oil for some time, your dog should already be less sensitive to cold. If not, you'll need to ease into this process, but it will help the O3:6 ratios improve more quickly, so don't worry.

The cold therapy is NOT about Cryotherapy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryotherapy), it is about improving hormonal signals, reducing inflammation, and providing some pain relief. Being in pain over long periods reduces immunity...so you're hitting healing from many directions. This is why professional and college athletes sit in ice baths after workouts. (If you try this after a particularly long weightlifting session, you'll find that you have nearly no muscle soreness.) (Yes, I have tried it and it works! :headbang: )

Best of luck :hug:

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues