canine spinal stenosis

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

canine spinal stenosis

Postby twisted » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:00 pm

alot of you might know that socks was diagnosed with the big C (i hate saying the word) but right now his spinal stenosis is giving him more trouble then anything.

the vet made a change to the quantity of his meds in hopes that would help.socks is currently on 3 pills a day of gabapentine (his size max dose) and 1 pill of prednisone a day. they upped the gaba and knocked back the pred.

his moods are always good everyday and he is easily persuaded to play but i can tell he is having more and more trouble. his tail just kind of dangles now and he poops alot. he is pooping a little at a time but 5-10 times a day.getting up takes alot of energy and currently the last few days ive had to carry him up the stairs.

i know there is alot of smart people on here that maybe have gone through this or they are vets and or vet tech that maybe might be able to give me an idea of what to ask my current vet to better help.

thanks, george
twisted
Newborn Bully

Re: canine spinal stenosis

Postby Nickdawg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:23 pm

again I recommend metacam (liquid) and tramadol - I am not a fan of gabapentin but that is just b/c I tried it for my back and it made me feel wacked out in the head and didn't work - bad story to tell I guess, sorry- I am sure it is and can be very helpful and dogs vs humans different of course- but it is bascially a nerve blocker from what I understand which I am sure helps a lot but the others I mention would more directly imo address the pain.

also I want to give you a :hug: I am so sorry for you and Socks - enjoy the good times and know you are doing everything you can I also think diet and supplements can be a big help but don't know a lot about... lots of knowledgable people here though...
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:18 pm

You can't use metacam or any other NSAID with prednisone but I second the tramadol.

Also, gabapentin in dogs vs humans is vastly different and it really helped my old lady with no noticeable side effects.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Nickdawg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:40 pm

thanks for adding your experiences - I had no idea about the mix (not being able to with metacam) and nice to hear gabapentin so effective for your dog- I knew it wasn't comparable (to dogs) but at that time I couldn't seperate my experience (luckily other things were very effective with Nick who had arthritis only).
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby twisted » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:25 pm

i did some reading today on turmeric and i went out and bought some supplements. alot of folks use it with dogs with cancer and for arthritis. i checked online if it interfered with his current meds and i couldnt find anything. so i think we will give this a try.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues