Anal gland question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Anal gland question

Postby mtlu » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Yep, Molly had to have her anal glands manually expressed multiple times after being on salmon oil for about 9 months. Then I stopped giving her salmon oil for over a year but have her back on grizzly pollack oil (for higher EPA percentage) because of early/developing arthritis concerns. I'm adding canned pumpkin to her food when needed. From my observations, it was the lack of firmness of her poops that was causing the anal gland buildup - so the pumpkin is for firming up the poop.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:37 pm

If your dog is expressing the anal glands on his own naturally, don't mess with them. Once you start manually expressing the glands (on a regular basis) you will have to continue manually expressing the glands. It's one those "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" kind of things. A dog *should* express their glands when deficating. The amount expressed will vary, and they may not do it every time they deficate. A dog will also express their glands when under stress. It happens more often than not when we take a temp on a patient at work, and cats are notorious for spraying techs in the face (oh what fun). Normal anal gland secretions are thin liquid in consistency, and a light to medium brown in color. Any "chunks" or a consistency that is "thick" or "pasty" (think toothpaste) is abnormal and needs to see a vet. It always smells bad, it's supposed to. The anal glands are scent glands, and generally act as a passive territory marker. As for how much the glands can hold, it depends on the size of the dog, but generally speaking... a lot more than you would think. lol Small breeds and those that are overweight tend to need their glands manually expressed more commonly than large breeds and and those at a proper weight.

Vi had to have hers expressed every time she came into heat. Since she has been spayed, I have only had to do them once when she had pancreatitis. Sune (my Chi) has to have them done every 6 weeks, and we are still battling impaction issues from 3 years ago when I got her. Lucy has never needed hers expressed.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pblove » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:39 am

El_EmDubya wrote:
pblove wrote:p.s. I do miss seeing Monty's pictures on here, he was really a handsome fella .

Thx, I miss the little Mon'ster, but I think we're almost ready to start the search.... :) :run:

Monty will send you his redplacment I am sure!

yes I do use coconut oil with no issues on both dogs!
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues