anyone with issues with there dogs chewing feet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

anyone with issues with there dogs chewing feet

Postby mhocker10 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:00 pm

my APBT has an issue with chewing his feet when he's bored. So, I went out today and bought this: Image

let me tell you guys, this stuff works great. he took 1 lick and hasn't touched his feet since. I have been treating them with a vinegar wash and then I reapply. $12.99 for the big bottle... well worth it.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Re: anyone with issues with there dogs chewing feet

Postby mhocker10 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:03 pm

I had my oldest daughter taste a small drop of the spray.. it was hilarious. it truly is very very bitter. I had a small amount dry on my hand and I rubbed my lip.. holy crap, most bitter nasty stuff I have EVER tasted.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Just FYI a lot of dogs chew their feet because they are itchy from skin allergies. So while it is good to stop them chewing (they can really beat up their feet), it is also important to see your vet to have his skin evaluated.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby Enigma » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:36 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:Just FYI a lot of dogs chew their feet because they are itchy from skin allergies. So while it is good to stop them chewing (they can really beat up their feet), it is also important to see your vet to have his skin evaluated.
Yup, allergies or pain from joint issues, that will also cause a dog to lick/chew his feet. In most cases it's not because the dog is bored.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby mhocker10 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:46 pm

dog was already seen by vet for this issue... since he has no other allergy symptoms present the vet feels it is a boredom thing and to fix it now before it progresses into a habit
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:15 am

mhocker10 wrote:dog was already seen by vet for this issue... since he has no other allergy symptoms present the vet feels it is a boredom thing and to fix it now before it progresses into a habit

This is old school information. Dermatologist now feel behavioral chewing is rare. Get a second opinion.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby mhocker10 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:53 am

he may also be detoxing.... he has been on a raw diet now for almost a month. I have seen other signs related to detox in the last week or so; mucus on stool... small pimple like bumps that appear then dry up and go away in a day or so, and have begun to appear much less frequently. I clean his feet with vinegar several times a day. In the beginning I would notice quite a bit of gunk being washed off, but even that is almost gone now.

in that last 2 weeks it has gone from pad chewing to just licking of all 4 forepaws.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:04 am

mhocker10 wrote:he has been on a raw diet now for almost a month.

What are you feeding? Sources (pastured vs farmed meat)? Supplements?

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mhocker10 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:26 am

El_EmDubya wrote:

LMW

enhancement free = chicken, and beef, beef liver, Beef Heart, chicken hearts all locally sourced from area farms from my local butcher shop... as well as an Omega 3 supplement combined DHA/EPA 850mg, containing only: fish body oil, glycerin and gelatin (sourced from GNC nutrition center)
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:14 pm

mhocker10 wrote:
El_EmDubya wrote:

LMW

enhancement free = chicken, and beef, beef liver, Beef Heart, chicken hearts all locally sourced from area farms from my local butcher shop... as well as an Omega 3 supplement combined DHA/EPA 850mg, containing only: fish body oil, glycerin and gelatin (sourced from GNC nutrition center)

Since you are going the raw route...

Do you know your bone/meat/other ratios?

You might want to exclude chicken for a while and exchange it for fish (canned sardines work if sourcing fish is difficult) and add in some oysters (for copper and zinc which are great for the skin). Sometimes dogs (and people, like me) have what is considered secondary allergies which are related to what their meat sources were fed. A lot of chicken farms use a lot of soy and corn, which both are allergens and they also inject the chicken meat with MSG (wheat), so doing an elimination diet where you only use beef, or fish for a couple of weeks could give some visibility to whether that is the issue.

The other thing is to include some Green Tripe. This is essential, IMHO, to producing healthy guts, which are where the vast majority of immunity is based. Not only does GT contain partially digested fiber, it has a broad assortment of flora, bacteria, dirt, and metal cofactors, all of which help your dog's body function more efficiently and to produce necessary nutrients.

I hope this helps :)

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:01 am

mhocker10 wrote: small pimple like bumps that appear then dry up and go away in a day or so, and have begun to appear much less frequently.

This is a classic symptom of staph infection.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby mhocker10 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:42 am

Do you know your bone/meat/other ratios?

I know the correct ratio is 80-10-10

I get pretty close to that within a weeks feedings.... I am still trying to source organs locally.

it is definitely not a staph infection... it never presents until there is a "bloody" meal given, ie beef heart or when the majority of skin is left on chicken... so I will assume that it is related to what the prey animal was fed... and what is contained in the blood of the meal. The bumps that present after a meal look more like small pimples and they clear up very quickly, usually within an hour or 2 after the meal.

as for enhancements.. I have checked and double checked for any additives in what I purchase from the butcher. I know for a fact that neither the beef or chicken is enhanced.. not even MSG and I believe the majority of the pork sold by the butcher is also unenhanced.

GT I can source from Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow and if I can't source organs locally, I will have to order that as well. They have GT with spleen, ground. I am not a fan of ground anything but I'll feed the ground GT with spleen if I can't find a better source.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:10 pm

mhocker10 wrote:
it is definitely not a staph infection... it never presents until there is a "bloody" meal given, ie beef heart or when the majority of skin is left on chicken... so I will assume that it is related to what the prey animal was fed... and what is contained in the blood of the meal. The bumps that present after a meal look more like small pimples and they clear up very quickly, usually within an hour or 2 after the meal.

Beef is the most common food allergy of dogs. I'd cut out the beef and see what happens. Small pimples, flaking skin etc. are consistent with staph infection. Dogs are not people, the response of the skin is not the same. Larger bumps could be hives, is that what you are seeing?
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:42 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Dogs are not people

I never said they were. Read Dogtor J's site. His was the first that mentioned secondary allergies and since then there are MANY on the raw feeding forums who've tested this theory and PROVEN their dogs are not allergic to grass fed/pastured chicken.

mhocker10, I'd strip the chicken skin off, if you still plan to feed chicken. (You can easily add back in fats from other sources, including adding coconut oil.) If the chickens are vegetarian fed, rather than grass and grubs, their Omega 6 ratios will be too high, which can mess up your dog's hormones. Hormones are linked to immunity through the gut, so it is something to consider.

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mhocker10 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:54 pm

when I give leg 1/4 or breast, I have been removing a majority of the skin.... I should have done it to the whole chicken I fed yesterday, but I forgot to, though I remembered to cut off the wings.

I picked up a new beef source today and I will begin feeding it tomorrow, and see if the same issue occurs.

the high Omega 6's I planned for and give the Omega 3 dose daily.(850mg DHA/EPA combined)

I will also be getting my beef heart from a new source, saves me about $0.30/lb and is grass fed... hell, they will even cut it for me the way I want it... can't beat that.

I am also going to go to a local Mennonite farm tomorrow and haggle on prices.. they produce free range chicken, and grass fed beef -- probably a good place to source organs to.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues