pit/husky mix in heat...maybe?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

pit/husky mix in heat...maybe?

Postby morganmariah » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Nala went into heat last weekend. I noticed her bleeding on Saturday, and promptly looked up how long it should last (it's been a while since I had an unaltered dog); everywhere I looked said she should bleed for 7 days. it's been 10 days; she's still bleeding (rather, there's still reddish fluid coming out.) should I be worried? I have every intention of calling the vet about it tomorrow, but I wanted to know what y'all thought. shes 7.5 months old, so it's her first heat. would that make it last longer?
morganmariah
Newborn Bully

Re: pit/husky mix in heat...maybe?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:58 am

The entire heat cycle for a dog is about 21 days. Some will only bleed the first 1/3, others will bleed the entire cycle. Its very variable.

As long as its not excessive, odorous, and your dog is acting fine, she's probably fine. If there's any question at all, you should probably still see your vet.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby morganmariah » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:33 am

thanks. is it weird that Nala has already gone into heat, but Luna hasn't? Nala is 7.5 months old, Luna is 11.5 months old. I had read somewhere that they can go into heat anywhere from 6 to 14 months, but I really expected Luna to be first.
morganmariah
Newborn Bully

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Isn't it normal for a bitch to go into her first heat anywhere from 6 months to 2 years old? I thought I'd read that.

Most commonly, it seems to be around 6 months old and usually before they turn a year old, from what I've seen.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues