Partially deaf???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Partially deaf???

Postby Sydnops » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Sydnops wrote:I don't think the clinic I work at has that type of technology yet. The man that owns the dang thing (and refuses to retire) is in his 80's. I've read about it but heard it could be kind of pricey and my working minimum wage isn't going to cut it. Just to be safe, I'm probably going to train him like I would a deaf dog then have serious problems in the future. I don't want any behavior problems because I didn't address it early enough.

The screening test is $80 here, but for the same amount of money you could probably do puppy socialization class or something similar.

A resource I recently acquired thats been helpful in handling is the Sophia Yin DVD set - its for professionals, but if you can find it anyone can understand and make use of the tips within.

I started with the Perfect Puppy in 7 days book/DVD set, and decided to buy the whole DVD set at a recent conference. The Tips for handling workshop DVD is fantastic. I don't know if this is something you could find at your local library to rent or not, but its worth checking into.

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/new-d ... active-dog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh wow. That would be nice! I am taking both of the puppies to my vet and the other doctor there really knows his stuff. He could probably tell me where I could get one done for that amount. I use to be a trainer at Petsmart not too long ago so I know a lot of the basics I could do but I can't use a clicker with a deaf dog haha! I'll adjust my training like I would with any other dog. I'm probably going to try out that Sophia Yin DVD eventually though. It'll give me more knowledge which I love learning! The library here is huge so I'm sure I could check it out there. Thank you!!
Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Postby Stormi » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Sydnops wrote:...but I can't use a clicker with a deaf dog..,

Sure ya can! A clicker is just a behavior marker, it doesn't have to be a noise. I use a thumbs up instead of a clicker, which I like better anyway since I can't ever accidentally leave my thumb at home ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Sydnops » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Stormi wrote:
Sydnops wrote:...but I can't use a clicker with a deaf dog..,

Sure ya can! A clicker is just a behavior marker, it doesn't have to be a noise. I use a thumbs up instead of a clicker, which I like better anyway since I can't ever accidentally leave my thumb at home ;)

Oh yea like a little marker of some sort.
Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues