Molly has a MCT near a lymph node

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Molly has a MCT near a lymph node

Postby Jorsher » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 pm

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

She's had this lump for at least a couple months now. It "disappeared" a couple times and came back. It's located on her hind leg, on the outer back of her "knee." The vet aspirated it Monday and sent it to the lab. Today he called and said it's a malignant mast cell tumor. He's concerned because of its proximity to her lymph node. Next Thursday, they'll remove it with "wide margins," and are going to biopsy the lymph node.

The blood work they did a couple weeks ago came back with everything looking good. If it was a grade III, would this be the case? They've been giving her steroids, antibiotics, and antifungals to combat her foot/ear infections and allergies. She has been happier and more energetic since the treatment started than I've seen in a long time. If it was stage III, would she be as energetic?

I know it's almost futile to self-diagnose, and I won't know until they send it to the lab, but if others have experienced similar situations with good results, it'll help put my mind at east.

Yes, I read the MCT thread, very nice and helpful :)
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Molly has a MCT near a lymph node

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:41 pm

When my Brina had a MCT right on top of a lymph node on her hind leg a couple of years ago they removed it along with the lymph node. It was grade II, but she never had any MCT related problems since then, the surgery took care of it completely. I would wait for the results and go from there.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Jorsher » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Enigma wrote:When my Brina had a MCT right on top of a lymph node on her hind leg a couple of years ago they removed it along with the lymph node. It was grade II, but she never had any MCT related problems since then, the surgery took care of it completely. I would wait for the results and go from there.

They removed the MCT and the lymp node. It hasn't exactly been a smooth process... Thursday they removed it. They said when I picked her up that she tried jumping off the table and opened the wound, so they wrapped her leg. That night I let her out to pee after she slept off the anesthesia. When she was barking to come back in, she was standing in a puddle of blood and her wound was squirting...

Since it was 9pm at night, I had no choice but to take her to the ER. By time we got there it seemed like the bleeding stopped. One the paperwork we filled out, the vet noticed she was on Tameril-P and Deramaxx, and was a bit shocked they were prescribed together. Apparently it can cause severe liver damage and intestinal issues. This of course made me a bit upset. She was prescribed the Tameril-P for help relieving the scratching until her feet/ears healed, and the Deramaxx for pain relief after the surgery. I believe the vet should have known better... Anyway, she told me to give her cetadiene I believe, to help with the stomach after mixing these two medications, and gave her an antihistamine shot, and sent me home with tramadol to use in place of the deramaxx.

She's on a raw chicken diet now, supplemented with fish oil and d-zyme. Today I noticed she was having trouble pooping. Initially her poop was diarrhea with a red tint, and then it turned into mostly blood. I was worried it's either a serious intestinal issue from mixing the two drugs, or that maybe she got a bone stuck in her intestines? She at the chicken once whole, second time choked and vomited it all up so I began grinding it up since.

Should I worry right away or just monitor her until Monday when I can speak to the vet again?

Thanks
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Enigma » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Oh wow, you two really have been through a lot... Id' try cooking her meals untill she recovers, when Brina had her last surgery a year ago I had her on raw but she developed such a horrible diarrhea, I started cooking her meals. I never went back to raw, because she didn't do that well on it, but you can try to go back after this whole ordeal is over. Try with no bones for a while, untill she gets back to her normal self, cooked meals are easily digestable. Cooked chicken should calm her stomach down.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby turtle » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Ouch! She’s had a rough time the last few days… How is she today?

Yes cooked chicken is bland and should help her system settle down, You could add some cooked white rice to the cooked chicken too, chicken and rice is easy on the stomach. If it is a minor problem that should get her back to normal in a few days, if not, then ask the vet.

Any home cooked bland food is better than a store bought dog food, as you know exactly what is in the food you cook for her.

Hope she is feeling better soon!
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues