Bloody diarrhea, raw diet, please help!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Bloody diarrhea, raw diet, please help!

Postby Jorsher » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:38 pm

Sorry to start another thread. It's been a long couple of weeks for my dog and I wanted a thread with a more relevant title for her current issues than adding to another.

I just switched her to raw about a week ago from a prescription food the vet recommended to try for her allergies. The first night, she had just a raw chicken leg quarter with bone. The second night, she choked and vomited it up, then wouldn't eat it, so since then I've been grinding the leg quarter up for her. She gets a whole leg quarter, three squirts of salmon oil, and a teaspoon of D-Zyme digestive enzymes. I'm going to start her on pro-biotics today. She is currently taking Temaril-P for anti-itch and because she just had a mast cell tumor removed, Tramadol as a pain reliever, ketaconazole for the infections on her feet and ears, and Pepcid AC because the vet prescribed Deramaxx while she was on Temaril-P which apparently is a very BAD mix and another vet suggested Pepcid to help with her intestines.

I noticed yesterday that she was straining to poop, and when she did it was mostly diarrhea with a bit of blood. Now it's mostly blood with little stool. Bright, red, blood. The stool she did get out was mucous and I could see the ground-up bone fragments. I didn't notice until yesterday, but it may have been going on for longer because I haven't been able to catch her pooping.

I've read it suggested to both increase the bone amount to firm it up, or decrease the bone amount because it could be too firm and causing constipation. She only gets out a little stool at a time, considering she eats about a lb of chicken per day. Yesterday I gave her a chicken breast, no bone or skin, but the same bloody stool today. I'm going to try a cooked leg quarter, no bone, and white rice for the next few days to see if it calms her down (thanks Enigma and turtle!).

Any other suggestions? When should I start worrying? Other than her straining to poo, she seems to be alright otherwise.
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Bloody diarrhea, raw diet, please help!

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:49 am

Bloody stool would warrant a trip to the vet with my dog. Speaking from someone who has dealt with both HGE (haemorrhagic gastroenteritis) and pancreatitis in my old dog, it's not something I would try and treat at home personally.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Jorsher » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:50 am

She has an appointment Weds to check on the wound.

Yesterday morning it was mostly blood. Yesterday afternoon was mucous and brown, no blood. This morning it was yellow, no brown, with flecks of blood...
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby turtle » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:31 pm

How is Molly doing now?

I hope she is better. It is hard to say if her loose stools could be from the raw chicken or from her meds from the surgery.

It does take some time for their system to get used to eating the raw and sharp bones could be a problem if she was not chewing them properly.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues