ear hematoma...YAY!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

ear hematoma...YAY!!

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:57 pm

I just got home from my and Cbloe's first therapy dog class and Thor's ear is puffed up! Yay, just effimg yay! There 's nothing wrong with it other than that and I know it wasn't that way when we went to bed last night! So its surgery tomorrow for his ears snd his little chinchi's are going to go (finally) at the same time :( my poor bad baby!!
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Re: ear hematoma...YAY!!

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:57 am

Oh no! Poor guy. Forgive my ignorance, are they going to remove part of his ear because of this, or will they just attempt to drain it?

Is it weird to ask for before and after photos? (of the ear...not the chinchis) :)
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 am

She's gonna lance it and drain it and maybe a few sutures so it doesn't fill up again...I'll definitely get pics! I forgot to get one this morning before I left - I was up all night :( She said some dogs can take it with local anesthesia, but she doesn't want to break the trust/bond they have made in the last few years and he needs to be neutered anyway.

Are you sure you don't want pics of his little boys??? roflmao they're pretty cute!! roflmao
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm sure!!!

I hate dog balls...they're so gross. ew. Harley's looked like chicken skin...like two hard boiled eggs fighting over space...and some of his skin was whitish/peachy and some of it was purple. BLARGH

Hope everything goes well for your boy!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:37 pm

I guess we're lucky, his are small and the skin is just like his belly, peach fuzz and all :) They'll be gone tonight though...surgery after hours at 5 pm!

Before:

Its about a half inch thick :(
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:52 am

Ugh hematomas are SUCH a pain in the ass. :( I hope it only takes one draining to be resolved!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:26 pm

So, it appears that the ear hematoma was the least of our worries :( his blood work was way off and she thinks he either has some kind of blood infection (thought it was ehrlichia from a tick, but we did the test and it was negative) or he's got an auto immune disease. I don't remember what any of the stuff means that was low, but the tests results are below and now she's worried about the bruising at the neuter incision. I am at work now and will take another picture of it when I get home and send it to her to compare and we'll go from there. She said the ear hematoma was from whatever is going on with his blood, not injury as we had suspected. He's so out of it, it's KILLING me! We had to carry him out last night, we were there until almost 10 pm, and he didn't even try to walk until 8:30 this morning, but he was kissing me and he peed and wagged his tail at the girls and Blu. He did eat a third of a can of wet food so I started the Doxycycline like she said...I have no idea :( I'll get pics of the drain in his ear tonight when I change the bandage.

chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby sunnygirl01 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:48 pm

Oh no! Healing thoughts for your boy! How scary!
sunnygirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Oh no Val-didn't they do the blood work before the procedure? Why did they go through with it if his blood work was off?

We went through something similar with Bailey-and I think it lead to her having lyme disease. I'll see if I can find any info for you....

ETA-I called the vet, they don't have any notes on it. It was something that happened before her being diagnosed with lyme, but nothing in her charts indicated that it was part of it. I just remember the ehrlichia coming up with her too. I'm no help. :( Please keep us up to date. I feel so bad for him, poor guy.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:16 pm

They actually knocked him out and then took the blood, he's my bad baby and we (my vet or Darell and I) didn't want to risk him doing something stupid. My vet is also my friend, her and her husband are the ones Chloé and I go to dog shows with. I'm sure if she thought this is where we'd end up, she wouldn't have done it. She was surprised it wasn't the tick thing. We've been texting back and forth all day...30 minutes and I'll be off work and able to go home and check his neuter incision again and let her know. If the bruising is worse, we're going back down to run more tests.
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:04 am

How is everything today? Better I hope.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:10 pm

Yes, definitely better today! The bruising didn't get worse so now we're going to get him healed up and some antibiotics in his system for a while. He goes back Wednesday to have the drain checked and she'll decide then if we recheck his blood then or wait the 3 weeks she said originally. He was trying to get frisky last night so I gave him half an ace and he was still loaded this morning:

here is a pic of the ear drain

and this is what I woke up to from cuddling him at 6:55 this morning

Yep, my neighbor took out our mailbox! She was really nice though and she has insurance so we'll get a new one! :beer:
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:33 pm

Glad to hear he's doing better!

Geez, it's just one thing after another. How'd she hit that GIANT mailbox?
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:26 pm

There is a trash can laying just off the road in the top left of the corner of the pic...it blew away from her house. She stopped to get it on her way to work this morning and didn't put her Toyota Tundra in park and it ran it over and then went across the street into a vacant lot before she caught up to it...CRAZYNESS! At least she stopped! I have an appointment for a quote for a new one Monday after work ($475 plus install and extra if he needs to match our paint).
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:17 am

Poor guy! How is he doing today?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues