Isit ok to take my 6 month old pup trail hiking?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mrwiseacre
Newborn Bully

Isit ok to take my 6 month old pup trail hiking?

Postby mrwiseacre » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:40 pm

Planning a backpacking trip and wanted advice on whether or not it was a good idea to take my almost six month old APBT pup. The hike would be on dirt trails, about 12 miles each day for two days. I have read that he shouldn't be running much for another year or so, but I wasn't sure about hikes. Eventually he will carry a pack - but not until he's older. Thanks for your input.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Re: Isit ok to take my 6 month old pup trail hiking?

Postby Jazzy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 am

When Veronica was around 6 months old I took her on a dog walk; not even near 12 miles...and I had to carry her the last half of the walk. lol She let me know by stopping and jumping up on my leg, just like a little kid who wants to be picked up.

So based on my experience, I would think that a fairly long hike might be a little too much for such a young pup.

Either that or I had a really lazy dog; here she is captured by my friend's cell phone. She looks small but she felt pretty heavy by the time I was done carrying her. :lol:

Novy
Newborn Bully

Postby Novy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Have you done this hike before? Has he been on shorter hikes before? If not, I would say leave him at home for sure. Get a better idea of how things go so you will know for next time, and get him accustomed to hiking. If you have, you need to think a lot about exactly what the hike involves and your trip itinerary. Things like:
-Frequency and duration of rests.
-Weather
-Terrain
-Pace
-Opportunities to cool down (lakes, streams, etc).
-Is the trail shaded
-If he can't handle it, is there a shorter return route for you?

mrwiseacre
Newborn Bully

Postby mrwiseacre » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I have hiked the trail a few years ago and there should be good shade this time of year and a river to cool off with (although, his swimming experience at this point is limited to puddles and the tugboat sandbox I fill up with water for them in the yard.) The vet's office gave the all clear and my plan is to break each of the two days into four 3 mile legs. He is currently doing between 2 - 3 miles a few times a day with ease, and I will be increasing that for testing/conditioning prior to the hike. I let my hiking party know that I may be taking additional breaks, and if need be I may have to turn back and wait for them at the car. He is getting practice carrying his empty pack right now and in a year or so will be hauling all his own gear. I will update with some of the things I learn as I go along in this process.
Last edited by mrwiseacre on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrwiseacre
Newborn Bully

Postby mrwiseacre » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Return to “Health Issues”