Mosquitos = My poor Chloe and Keyser!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jigsaw
Newborn Bully

Mosquitos = My poor Chloe and Keyser!

Postby Jigsaw » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Was wondering if anyone could help me with some suggestions or products that they have either personally used and would stand behind or even things such as products, home remedies, whatever it may be (at this point I am desperate and feel so sorry and helpless for my dogs on a daily basis)! Here is the situation, number on we live in Minnesota! Moving my family back home to Seattle would without question solve this issue, unfortunately it will take some time but we are working on it. Water collects on the back side of our home in excess amounts every time it rains hard, and by excess amounts I mean as if a water main has burst. It stops about 10 feet short of the back of our home. Close enough for unbearable problems! Our male Keyser is a chocolate colored brindle and our female Chloe is a light fawn colored brindle. Her best mosquito repellant is having Keyser as a brother they love him and could care less about her usually. This year they are so bad I have to come up with something. Deet is the only proven killer of this insect, and also proven not to be safe on animals no matter what the specie is. I have heard Lavender Oil essential oil? I have heard Peppermint essential oil? And another one that has been coming up a lot to the point where I considering giving it a go, but am unclear as if they are using regular white vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar? But it says to put a tablespoon full into your dogs water dish and they will drink it and basically it will seep back through their skin and Mosquitoes absolutely hate vinegar? The other option was to dilute it and put it in a spray bottle and spray them each time. Please anyone with any advice would help! I feel so bad for them, and then Mosquitoes give that factor of transferring warm blood from who knows who and where to my dogs! Trust me from a professional Tattooist for over 25 years....THIS DOESN'T SIT WELL WITH ME AT ALL. EVEN KILLING THESE PESTS IN MY OWN HOME ON A WALL MAKES ME CRINGE! THANK YOU ALL FOR ANY HELP YOU COULD OFFER. OUR DOGS THANK YOU MORE!!!!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Re: Mosquitos = My poor Chloe and Keyser!

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:48 pm

The bugs have been awful here too, in northern lower Michigan. The first thing I can think of is to just not let them stay outside for any length of time besides going potty and going for walks, which you probably are already doing that but I just thought I would mention it just in case. We treat ours with Advantix, which is supposed to deter mosquitoes along with ticks and fleas, although they do get on ours when we're out hiking with them. I tried those bug off bandanas for us humans, but they didn't help, so I can't recommend that.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Are the dogs on heartworm preventive?

I don't know of anything that really works all that well but if you find something, let us know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jigsaw
Newborn Bully

Postby Jigsaw » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Yes they are on heartworm stuff. So it's not really the issue that we are worried about them contracting something as much as they are just so uncomfortable going outside. They bite Keyser and all the poor thing can do is jump around like an imaginary ghost is poking him with a stick. I feel so bad for them just being bit. Then of course is the health worry all the time about dioceses and what not. I went to an actual tractor supply store today which carries products made for animals such as horses and pigs etc... rather than stores that sell "pet safe" stuff. I found a couple products "made for" pets. I'll let everyone know how they work.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:33 am

I wonder if a tshirt sprayed with some citronella or essential oils would help? But then, I'm sure that wouldn't be pleasant for them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:52 pm

I was told that the Avon Skin so Soft product works well for repelling mosquitoes. It is really oily so I have not used it so you might not want oily doggies!

Maybe mixing up some apple cider vinegar with water in a spray bottle and spray them lightly with that when they go out? That won't hurt anything and will dry and not be greasy, they will smell like a salad. I have used it on my dog and she did seem to be bitten less.

Or maybe try the spray on an old t-shirt and put that on them when they go out? You could also try the lavender oil sprayed on the t-shirt too.

Yes this is a bad year for bugs. I hear the black flies are out in force in New England and so are the ticks.

Return to “Health Issues”