Building up my rescue dog's immune system

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jamie&Jessie
Newborn Bully

Building up my rescue dog's immune system

Postby Jamie&Jessie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi all! :hi

I'm loving this forum; I have come across several very helpful ideas. Thanks a bunch.

My current task with my girl, Jessie, is researching building up her immune system. When I first got her she got kennel cough within a week going to a daycare. I have been having her go on lots of hikes and walks instead of daycare and haven't had a problem. However, I just recently started having her go to daycare occasionally again. It's convenient, affordable, gets her out of the crate, and she loves it. Unfortunately she got kennel cough again! I know this isn't a huge deal, but I also can't keep having her go to daycare just to get kennel cough. She has the bordetella vacination, and all of her other required vacinations.

What other things can I do to help prevent her from getting kennel cough in these environments? Even when not at daycare, she's around dogs a lot, so it's something I need to work on. Vitamins? I really have no idea. :oops:

I'm going to look further into a raw food diet, and I will read up on the food thread here for that, too.

Thanks!

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Building up my rescue dog's immune system

Postby turtle » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:45 am

There are lots of different strains of kennel cough and the vaccine does not cover all of them. For a healthy dog, kennel cough is not usually a big deal, it is more like a minor cold in people.

Feeding a good food and adding salmon oil will help your dog's immune system. Most young dogs are pretty healthy and the salmon oil gives them a boost and it is good for their skin and coat too. Apple cider vinegar is also good for them, I just add a little in my dog's food, about a tablespoon.

Kennel cough is easily spread so I don't think there is much you can do if your dog sees a lot of other dogs. As long as she is healthy, it should not bother her much and she should also build up a tolerance to it.

Jamie&Jessie
Newborn Bully

Postby Jamie&Jessie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Thank you for your thoughts and your advice. I will get salmon oil for her. I will also do more research on her food and maybe find a better one.

Any salmon oil is okay, or do you recommend any certain brand?

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-All-Natur ... B0002ABR6E
http://www.petco.com/product/106293/Pet ... -Dogs.aspx

these okay?

Thanks again! Appreciate it. I realize kennel cough isn't a huge deal, but I would still love to try to avoid it best I can!

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:35 pm

Salmon oil is great for dogs. I have bought it on ebay and Amazon but those places can be expensive.

You would want Wild Alaskan Salmon oil that is the best one.

I buy it from a trapping place and it is the Wild Alaskan Salmon oil at a great price. My old dog gets about 4 tablespoons a day and it has really helped her.

Here is where I order it --

http://dakotalinenares.myshopify.com/pr ... salmon-oil

I now buy it by the gallon from the Dakota Snares place since the shipping cost is a flat $10 for any order. The gallon is in small bottles so it is easy to store and use since you don't have to wrestle with a gallon jug. I used to buy a quart but it did not last long.

Salmon oil and a high quality food are 2 of the easiest things one can do for a dog. There is lots of info on here about foods and feeding.

Oh and this thread has a lot of helpful info and links --

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158228

Hope it helps!

sunnygirl01
Adolescent Bully

Postby sunnygirl01 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:27 am

I have been using the Grizzly Salmon Oil and have seen definite improvement in both of my dogs. Someone here recommended it and I am so thankful! I get it from Chewy.com and it is only about $15 for the 16oz bottle. I love that website!

It helps with itchiness, shedding, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I came to this board and researched after my vet said I should be giving my 16 year old Border Collie mix some kind if Omega-3 fatty acids.

***edited to add***

If you try it, start small. My dogs each get two pumps per day. I started off with one and built up to two after a week to make sure it didn't give an upset tummy.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:05 am

X2on the small amount to start with! Two out of my three dogs were fine, but Austin has a really sensitive stomach and even with one pump, it was like poo-Apoocolypse here. He's fine now with two pumps. I've been getting the gallon size of pollock oil from Amazon because it's a bit less expensive, although the pumps always seem to break in transit.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:06 am

I hope it helps, kennel cough sucks!

Jamie&Jessie
Newborn Bully

Postby Jamie&Jessie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:48 pm

sunnygirl01 wrote:I have been using the Grizzly Salmon Oil and have seen definite improvement in both of my dogs. Someone here recommended it and I am so thankful! I get it from Chewy.com and it is only about $15 for the 16oz bottle. I love that website!

I love Chewy.com also, and I found the Grizzly there too, and I think I will start with that.

I will start small, thank you for that recommendation everyone! I'm excited to try this. If it helps with her skin, coat, and shedding also I will be so very happy. :)

Return to “Health Issues”