Past-date kibble

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Past-date kibble

Postby AmberD » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:19 pm

I have fed food a month or so past its "Best By" date. I recognize that "Best By" is not the same as "Expiration," and even then, I will push expiration dates on my OWN food. I trust my nose better than ink to tell me when my milk is no longer safe, eggs are good for about a month past date, and boxed foods - lol there.

But I went to a local pet supply store today and found a pallet of Merrick foods 50% off. I almost jumped at the chance and loaded a cart full of it, but then I got suspicious and checked the dates - Jan & Feb 2014. Even for me, that seems a little... expired. The store employee brushed it off and said dog food was good 8 months past the date.

Any thoughts or opinions there?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Past-date kibble

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:45 pm

We used to feed past date food at the HS where I worked so long as it still smelled okay. I saw a show about a documentary on food waste that says expiration dates are largely arbitrary anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:33 pm

They're very arbitrary, which is why I tend not to observe them for myself, but certain things last longer than others. Milk can most definitely last a week or two after the date, depending on the fat content, the temperature of the fridge, etc. Eggs can go longer than that. Boxed mac & cheese? 6 months, a year? But the length varies based on the type of food, how it's processed, preserved, and stored. I assume.

From what I'm reading on pet food sites, kibble has a one year shelf life from the time of production. That is the "Best By" date, when it's one year old. And like I said, I've fed dated kibble in the past, I'm not worried it's going to kill my dogs. But if the kibble starts to lose its freshness and (possibly?) quality after a year, what's it like after 18 months? It might not be spoiled/dangerous, but is it still good?

Oh and I think kibble is one of the most disgusting smells, so I don't know if I could smell spoiled kibble lol.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:37 am

AmberD wrote:Boxed mac & cheese? 6 months, a year? But the length varies based on the type of food, how it's processed, preserved, and stored. I assume.

Yes I think a lot of it is common sense... Some types of food will spoil much quicker than others. I have cooked and eaten the dried mac & cheese that had an exp date of 2 yrs ago with no problems. It is just dried pasta and dried cheese mix so nothing really to spoil.

Some foods like graham crackers have oils in them that can go bad, and you can usually smell those and certainly can taste them if they are spoiled. But others seem to be fine long past the date on them. I just finished off some corn flakes from 2012 and they were ok.

With the dog kibble, if it was stored correctly and not left in the sun or something, it should be fine for at least 6 months past the date on it. I have fed old kibble and it did not bother my dog. As long as it is kept in a cool dry place and you keep the bag sealed it should be fine.

Half price is a good deal and would be worth trying a bag but I don't think I would stock up unless I was sure I could go thru it fairly quickly.

Yeah kibble does have a stink to it even when "fresh" so I am not sure if smelling it will tell you much. Especially if it is a fish kibble, those always smell more.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:40 pm

I find spoiled kibble smells metallic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:45 pm

The official response from Merrick is "Since we use all natural ingredients, we do not recommend feeding any food past its expiration date."

Ok. So I asked them why a store employee told me that the manufacturer sends out past-date food to be cleared out and that the food was good 8 months past its expiration date. I also stated it was unfair that there were no signs explaining the reduced price was because of the foods being expired. Most customers don't think to look at expiration dates before they put the food in the cart.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:33 pm

This batch of pork flavored Merrick kibble has a strong sweet potato smell. Not rotten, but different than before. Wonder if they put more in there.

Return to “Health Issues”