Portsmouth NH/Portland ME area??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Portsmouth NH/Portland ME area??

Postby *ruckus* » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:57 am

I'm hoping for a contact in the Portsmouth NH/Portland ME area--

I've been "managing" a number of health issues and behavior issues with my dog Ruckus (6 y/o) for his whole life, and am hoping to find a trusted expert in the area to help-- his behavioral issues have been easily managed by having him be an in-home dog (late night walks and no one coming over), but he is having health problems kick up and he is such a disaster at the vet that I am afraid to bring him somewhere new. This is basically a mini cry for help, hoping that someone knows someone in my general region that I could reach out to to have a phone conversation or something with.

His quality of life has at least appeared to be pretty swell, until a recent swollen knuckle has left him favoring one foot for two days; and the realization that I am afraid to take him to the vet has left me wanting to reach out for help. I'll happily go into more detail with his health/behavior issues; just being brief in hopes of finding someone locally who will start with me at square one and work with us in the long run--and offer suggestions in the short run to get his immediate discomfort taken care of. I realize that I'm probably sounding like a hugely negligent dog owner, and I will suffer any criticism-- but I'm ready to spend the time and money necessary to get us to a better place.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Re: Portsmouth NH/Portland ME area??

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Is Hillsmouth New Hampshire anywhere near you? I was just wondering if the folks at Peace and Paws rescue would be of any help. The only other things I can think of are to give him a bunch of calming supplements and try a DAP collar when you take him in.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Re: Portsmouth NH/Portland ME area??

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:06 pm

Oh, and one thing that helped me when I was waiting for my appointment to take Roscoe's staples out after his peach pit ingestion incident last year was giving him bits of string cheese to distract him from the other dogs and whatnot. He is nuts for string cheese, so if there is something your dog is crazy about, that might help some.

Return to “Health Issues”