Natural Blend

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
twolilones0002

Natural Blend

Postby twolilones0002 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:02 am

Ok I was using Nutro Natural Choice, cuz that is what someone told me is good. Anyway his poops were not regular either runny, or hard. So I went to the store and found something that I think is much better sounding and loaded with stuff. Anyway it is by Royal Canin, Natural Blend (holistic dog food) that is what it says on the back :) Has anyone ever used this? If so did you like it? Here are a few of the things that are in it.... tomato pomace, flax, fish meal, dried egg, dried cheese, apples, blueberries, spinach, sweet potato, kelp, alfalfa, ginger, garlic, tuna oil, and sage. there is more, but that is just the stuff that i found in this food that I didnt find in others while i was there. www.royalcanin.com

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:33 am

I don't like the tomato pomace. It's the leaves and stalks of the tomato plant. It's in the nightshade family and it's toxic. I know they use small amounts and it's a "great source of lycopine" BUT, it's STILL toxic and you are feeding it every day.....................

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:40 am

I used a bag and the dogs did ok on it but it was too expensive to continue(when compared to some other foods).

Tomato pomace is just a cheap marketing gimmick. I'd rather see them toss a tomato in the mix. Even a tomato run over by a steam roller would be better than pomace.

twolilones0002

Postby twolilones0002 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:10 pm

Wow that got me worred so I thought I would go online and check it out, and this is what I found.....Dried tomato pomace is the dried mixture of tomato skins, pulp and crushed seeds that remain after the processing of tomatoes for juice, soup, or ketchup. It is a middle protein, a good source of B Vitamins and a fair source of Vitamin A. It is commonly used in pet foods as a source of dietary fiber, to produce firm stools. Tomato pomace also increases the palatability of cat diets.

I will keep looking to see if I can find more, but I havent found anything that it says it is the stalks and leaves of the plant and that it is toxic. Thanks for the info

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:22 pm

I think it contributes to chewing and scratching but that is hard to prove.

The companies most likely add it to produce firm stools,and also make it sound like its as good as adding a tomato.

The amounts are low so i wouldnt worry too much about one bag causing any major problems.

I view it kind of in the same class as beet pulp. They use it since its a cheap (kind of byproduct) when they could have used something much better but more costly. A dog doesnt need tomato pomace.

I wouldnt stress over it for one bag though.

twolilones0002

Postby twolilones0002 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:41 pm

Ok so are you saying that I shouldnt use this brand of dog food?? Someone told me to buy Innova Evo, but I know that is kinda spendier then what this stuff cost. I mean it is better then some stuff out there that he could be eating. I just cant afford a chocolate load of money, I also want to add raw to his diet a 3 or 4 days out of the week for now to see how it goes.

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:00 pm

If you already bought i bag i would use it and then switch to something else. If not, i would get something like canidae. When i tried natural blend i paid 32.99 for (i think 30 pound bag) when i could have bought canidae for 30.99(40 pound bag).

You could get a bag of canidae for less which i think is a better food.

Evo seems to be good but is expensive.

twolilones0002

Postby twolilones0002 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:08 pm

Ok thank you for your input, I have been told about Canide (sp) but I didnt have it there to compare to. :) So I will check it out. I only bought a little bag, the big ones where like 36bucks. I will look into that other stuff, where do you find it at. I looked at Petco, does Petsmart have it?

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:09 pm

Raw is cheaper than high end dry foods. The dry food I prefer to feed is 2.19 a pound and feeds at 3 cups to the pound. It's a great food, but, I can get chickens for as little as .55 a pound. I got 5.5 pound chickens and they cost me like 3.25. That's enough for 4 dogs and a cat for one meal. I have one dog that eats a LOT. BUT, it's still cheaper than dry.

twolilones0002

Postby twolilones0002 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:36 pm

yeah that is what I have heard, but I am just not ready or sure if I want to totally go to raw, but I do want to add some to his diet. but i also want to find a dog food that is as natural as I can get and loaded with good stuff, but not gonna rob my bank account.

Emi
Forum Junky

Postby Emi » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:56 pm

Dottie likes Wellness, it's also a good quaility food..

Emi
Forum Junky

Postby Emi » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:58 pm

This is what is in the Wellness i get for Dottie ...

Wellness Super 5 Mix Chicken formula dog food is a wholesome blend of human grade chicken, whole
grains, vegetables, fruits and select nutritional supplements. Additional ingredients like Omega-3
and Omega-6 fatty acids make for a lustrous coat.

http://www.epetpals.com/cgi-bin/commerc ... &keywords="wellness_dog_chicken"

Emi
Forum Junky

Postby Emi » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:00 pm

A wholesome blend of human grade chicken, whole grains, vegetables, fruits and select nutritional supplements. Additional ingredients like Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids make for a lustrous coat, and a stunning appearance. As for the dogs, they seem to be happiest with the great taste!
Ingredients:
Deboned Chicken, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fishmeal, Whitefish, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Millet, Canola Oil (preserved with Rosemary, Vitamin C & E), Flax Seed, Amaranth, Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Apples, Whole Blueberries, Whole Clove Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Yucca Schidigera, Probiotics (Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus), and more!

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:45 pm

twolilones0002 wrote:Ok thank you for your input, I have been told about Canide (sp) but I didnt have it there to compare to. :) So I will check it out. I only bought a little bag, the big ones where like 36bucks. I will look into that other stuff, where do you find it at. I looked at Petco, does Petsmart have it?

No petsmart and petco dont carry Canidae. If you go to their website (www.canidae.com) they have a store locater. Just type in your zip and a list of stores in your area that carry it will pop up. I have my 2 dogs on Canidae and they seem to like it. No more eye boogers either :))

twolilones0002

Postby twolilones0002 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:00 pm

i went there and did that, and it couldnt find a store

Return to “Health Issues”