She ate a bee!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lacy
Super Bully

She ate a bee!

Postby Lacy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Bonneville has been at war with one of those huge worker bees for the past two days. Today she won the battle. I turned around to find her catching and eating the bee just now.

She doesn't appear to be hurt and her mouth looks fine...I didn't see any sign of stings in there. Is this going to hurt her? I've never seen a dog catch a bee before.

melkissa

Postby melkissa » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:00 pm

Sorry if this is insensitive but.. you didn't get any pics?!?!?!
I have no idea if it's bad or good.. Sorry!

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:02 pm

give her some benadryl just in case. with bee stings if she gets stung in the mouth /throat area her throat could close up.. how much does she weigh? i usually give jesse 2-3 benadryls as she is 100 lbs.

Lacy
Super Bully

Postby Lacy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:17 pm

melkissa wrote:Sorry if this is insensitive but.. you didn't get any pics?!?!?!
I have no idea if it's bad or good.. Sorry!

No, I wasn't even looking at her when she started to chase it. I only saw her at the point of consuming it.

Maryellen wrote:give her some benadryl just in case. with bee stings if she gets stung in the mouth /throat area her throat could close up.. how much does she weigh? i usually give jesse 2-3 benadryls as she is 100 lbs.

She weighs between 40 and 45 pounds. How much would I give her?

Crap, I'm really nervous now. She's still acting fine, though.

stella
Matured Bully

Postby stella » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:55 pm

My old dog spent her summers stalking and hunting bees and wasps - she would hang out below flower pots and catch them mid air, shake them, spit them out, pull them apart with her nails - and then eat them. In 12 years, stung once - NEVER stopped her, she continued to hunt with a vengence! lol

Just keep an eye on your dog, if she's acting "fine", she probably is.

Astah
Super Bully

Postby Astah » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:07 am

Yeah my dog is about the same Stella, except she stomps them instead of using her claws before gobbling them up.
At first i was horribly nervous thinking that she would die! I still try and limitate her stingerstalking, but she has never gotten stung as of yet *knock on wood*

Asa and Guinness

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:41 am

Just keep an eye on the dog. If they were going to have a problem it would happen fairly quick. My dog ate a wasp one time and nothing happened.

cisom
Matured Bully

Postby cisom » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:03 am

Wether its a Bumble Bee (fuzzy) or a Carpenter Bee (smooth but similar colors) the Queen and the workers sting. The males do not. Either she ate a little man or the sting didn't bother her. If she got stung she would be working her mouth and you would notice it. Any reaction would happen pretty fast.

tjbsandy

Postby tjbsandy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:19 am

Just last week I had to chase Lilith around the house to try to get a yellow jacket away from her! lol It scared me to death! I managed to get it though, before she ate much of it. I hope Bonneville is okay!

Hey, remember those crazy bees on my deck? Yep, they are male carpenter bees. Looks like my entire deck may be chock full of baby bees. I'm oh so excited about this prospect. :roll:

Lacy
Super Bully

Postby Lacy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:29 am

tjbsandy wrote:Hey, remember those crazy bees on my deck? Yep, they are male carpenter bees. Looks like my entire deck may be chock full of baby bees. I'm oh so excited about this prospect. :roll:

I think I took one of those bees home with me. It was behaving just like those bees on your deck....and then Bonneville ate it.

Bonneville is ok. Thankfully, she didn't have any problems after eating it. However, I almost crashed my car this morning thanks to a wasp flying around in it while I was driving. :po:

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:10 am

oops sorry for not responding you can give her one benadryl if she shows symptoms. since she hasnt shown any symptoms thats good and she wont need a benadryl

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:36 pm

Ruby weighs about 55 pounds and we have given her up to 6 benedryl at a time (under Vet supervision)

Dogs metabolize it differently so you give them more to achieve the same effect.

cisom
Matured Bully

Postby cisom » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:57 pm

tjbsandy wrote:Just last week I had to chase Lilith around the house to try to get a yellow jacket away from her! lol It scared me to death! I managed to get it though, before she ate much of it. I hope Bonneville is okay!

Hey, remember those crazy bees on my deck? Yep, they are male carpenter bees. Looks like my entire deck may be chock full of baby bees. I'm oh so excited about this prospect. :roll:

If your deck is full of carpenter bees, you're in trouble. They are boring holes all through it and will cause a lot of damage. They supposedly don't like cedar or PT wood, but they riddled my brother's cedar sided garage with holes. It looked like swiss cheese.

GotDesl

Postby GotDesl » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:49 pm

Sort of off topic, but if you want to get rid of the carpenter bees, mix a paste of Sevin dust and water. Make it into a putty and fill the holes. It works.

Corliss797

Postby Corliss797 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:49 pm

This reminds me of one of my favorite Homer Simpson quotes...

"Oh, yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs? Or
the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouths and when
they bark, they shoot bees at you?"

:)

(oh and i hope Bonneville's O.K.!!)

Return to “Health Issues”