To dock or not to dock... That is the question...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Boo439

To dock or not to dock... That is the question...

Postby Boo439 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:54 pm

This isn't really something I wanted to lose in the Official Debate. I am asking you guys as my "friends" if you think I should have Toda's tail docked.

Here's the deal. His annual is coming up and I intend on getting his teeth cleaned. Therefore he will be out. While they do that, they are going to cut his nails most of the way off and use the silver nitrate sticks to stop the bleeding. As some of you may know, he had some insane growth of the quicks of his nails and I can't keep up with them.

As bully owners, you guys know the pain you feel when you get whacked by a tail. It feels like someone whipped you with a piece of cable. I don't want to hear reasons why docking is ethical or not, that's why I didn't put this in the debate thread. I am pretty sure I want to have it done, but I'd like some opinions on the medical part of it, not the ethical part.

Do you think it is worth it to do it to an adult dog when there is no medical necessity? Is he going to have a lot of down-time healing-wise? Are there any other medical concerns that are different for an adult dog vs. a 3 day old puppy?

I already know that Michelle will say "Go for it!" and she's actually the reason I began to consider it in the first place. Connor looks cute with a docked tail and he can be a wiggle butt and not hurt anyone in the process. My company doesn't want me to let Toda out because he hurts them.

If after all of this, the mods feel this needs to go in the Official Debate, then that's okay. I'd just not like this to turn into a debate. Thank you. :peace:

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:10 pm

roflmao

Got for it!

Seriously though, Connor's tail wasn't an easy project, once the inital bandage was off (the one from the surgery) it was a nightmare to keep the new bandage on. We went through one every day or two. Healing time was about 2 weeks. He has not exhibited any 'psycological trauma' over it. The talk came off when the ball came off, so YOU decide which one he was more bothered by!!! lol

The vet did a great job and did the suture line in a V shape that wrapped under so that it looks like he's been cropped since he was a puppy. I would have preferred his tail be one bone shorter, but Demo likes the current length, so that's a matter of preference. I love Ruby's little nub, but you can't get an adult tail that short and have a bandage on it!!

Connor has some tenderness, but only if you grab his tail, and then he just pulls away. He doesn't cry or anything, just doesn't want you to grab it.

Yes, got for it. If it will make your life with your dog better why not?

Michelle

Boo439

Postby Boo439 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:19 pm

I knew it. :)) I totally forgot Ruby was cropped, too. Do you have any pics of Connor's tail right after the surgery and the finished product? I'd like my vet to see so I can explain how I'd like it to look. I'd prefer that there wasn't a huge bald spot if I can help it. I'd like it to look like Toda's always had it docked. If not, I'll see if I can find anything on the web.

With the bandages, was it something that he needed an e-collar for or you just needed to watch him? Toda's pretty good at leaving stuff alone. He never even licked himself after his neuter. I think he'd be more worried about his feet hurting than his tail.

Thanks, Michelle!!!

Has anyone else had their adult dog's tail docked?

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:23 pm

I couldn't do it unless his tail was causing problems for him instead of me. I've got tails whacking me constantly but do not see that as a viable reason to dock them.

jeremy

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:34 pm

Once the dog is more than a few days old, docking a tail is a serious orthopedic surgery. Sometimes it comes off without a hitch (pun intended) but there are some rare and serious complications that can occur as well.

Some of the complications include paralysis, partial or whole (it IS part of the spinal cord), loss of anal tone (can't control pooping) and lots of healing complications considering it's around the dirty anal area.

So definately do your research and see if it's something that you personall think is worth the risk. Personally, unless there was an injury or tumor or something that necessitated it, I don't think I would choose it. Although, after having received a fat lip from Joxer's 'happy tail' I definately wish it had been done when he was a pup.

Good luck!

Boo439

Postby Boo439 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:34 pm

Well, any time we leave for an extended period of time, he cracks it open on his cage. It is a given. We don't know why he won't do it when we're home. The first time we came home from a long trip, there was blood all over the walls, the furniture, everywhere. He has a scar there from opening it up so many times. He hasn't done it so bad recently, but he will crack it open and make it bleed. Then he'll lick at it and lick at it and it stays fresh instead of healing. Eventually it goes away. We haven't been anywhere recently, but we're planning on taking a mini-vacation soon. That's another reason it's being considered right now. Poor Joey freaks at the sight of blood, human or animal. He'd probably pass out. lol

dixieandbacon

Postby dixieandbacon » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:31 pm

i think pits don't look right with there tails cut. plus it throughs off there center of balance.

pinion

Postby pinion » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:32 pm

Boo439 wrote:Well, any time we leave for an extended period of time, he cracks it open on his cage.

I think that's probably reason to go for it right there. If he has a past of craking his tail open you never know when it could happen again & this time it could get infected.

From the posts I've read from Michelle she's a seasoned dog owner and knows what she's talking about. My impression is she wouldn't suggest it if it was going to put your dog in danger.

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:08 pm

Boo439 wrote:Well, any time we leave for an extended period of time, he cracks it open on his cage. It is a given. We don't know why he won't do it when we're home. The first time we came home from a long trip, there was blood all over the walls, the furniture, everywhere. He has a scar there from opening it up so many times. He hasn't done it so bad recently, but he will crack it open and make it bleed. Then he'll lick at it and lick at it and it stays fresh instead of healing. Eventually it goes away. We haven't been anywhere recently, but we're planning on taking a mini-vacation soon. That's another reason it's being considered right now. Poor Joey freaks at the sight of blood, human or animal. He'd probably pass out. lol

I feel ur pain Boo. Sativa gets so excited all the time that for a while she was breaking open the end of her tail. Upon further investigation I noticed that she had this really weird little rice shaped THING attatched to the very tip of her tail and that thing kept bleeding when she would wack her tail on stuff. It eventually fell off, but for a while I was getting worried that I would have to look into docking her tail because it would bleed every single day. Now that that rice shaped thingy fell off it almost never bleeds. I know how messy it gets too having to clean up blood splattered walls, not to mention blood always ends up in the oddest places since they just fling their tails around so much!

Good luck with ur decision, I didnt really have any helpful advice, but I just wanted to share that it is somthing that has crossed my mind in the past and it can be a tricky decision to have to make.

dr961
Super Bully

tails and nails

Postby dr961 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:44 pm

Boo439 wrote:Well, any time we leave for an extended period of time, he cracks it open on his cage.

If you decide to do something about the tail, you might be better just getting part of the tail removed--the tip and maybe a couple inches, ie, the part that breaks open and bleeds. That would be less traumatic for the dog than trying to do a short dock on an adult dog. As someone posted, amputating tails on adult dogs is a major undertaking.

Also, I have to tell you that cutting the nails even right back to the foot won't do much to help get the quick shortened permanently, as it usually just grows back to its original length. It seems that once a dog's nails have got really long and the quick is grown way out, all you can do is keep after them every week or even more often, using a dremel tool to grind them down as much as possible without making them bleed.

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:56 pm

Boo439 wrote:Well, any time we leave for an extended period of time, he cracks it open on his cage. It is a given. We don't know why he won't do it when we're home. The first time we came home from a long trip, there was blood all over the walls, the furniture, everywhere. He has a scar there from opening it up so many times. He hasn't done it so bad recently, but he will crack it open and make it bleed. Then he'll lick at it and lick at it and it stays fresh instead of healing. Eventually it goes away. We haven't been anywhere recently, but we're planning on taking a mini-vacation soon. That's another reason it's being considered right now. Poor Joey freaks at the sight of blood, human or animal. He'd probably pass out. lol

Well, it sounds like you've got a chronic problem there. Silly pooch. :) It would definately be nice to have it taken care of once and for all.

Joxer had to have the very tips of his ears cropped because he shakes so much that they'd bleed all over the place. We also had to deal with the blood spatters on the walls, cabinets, furniture, floor....what a pain. I'm happy to say that once we got some nice new tissue grown in there we haven't had a problem since!

Let us know what you decide!

dopeychristy

Postby dopeychristy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:58 pm

What kind of tails do your dogs have? lol My dog has never cracked it open on anything. In fact no dog I have ever owned has ever cracked their tail open on anything. I think the worst thing any of my dogs have ever done with thier tail is knock a glass off the coffee table. roflmao

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:18 pm

dopeychristy wrote:What kind of tails do your dogs have? lol My dog has never cracked it open on anything. In fact no dog I have ever owned has ever cracked their tail open on anything. I think the worst thing any of my dogs have ever done with thier tail is knock a glass off the coffee table. roflmao

When they wag their tails they hit it on things (walls, tables, desks, dressers, side of their crates... anything!) ... and since they are such wiggle butts they wag them so fast and so much that the very tip will hit something and split open and bleed. Usually it happens when I just get home from work and Sativa is super excited. It must hurt them because I know when their tails hit me it feels like I'm being whipped!

dopeychristy

Postby dopeychristy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:24 pm

I have never had that happen. That's insane. Put some of that soft bathroom tissue around it lol ...what's that called? Northern soft or something? You know like the commercials.

dopeychristy

Postby dopeychristy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:36 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:DUDE! that would be the best commercial EVER! :headbang:

Wouldn't it though? lol

Seriously though I gotta say that IMO it is best not to take a chance with the dogs health over something like that. I mean even if there is the tiniest risk of complications it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

Return to “Health Issues”