To dock or not to dock... That is the question...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:37 pm

freckles wrote:we cant dock tails anymore over here!!!!!!! (as far as i know)

Medical reasons only in many European countries.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:24 pm

I wouldn't do it Boo. if memory serves Connor had alot of bone showing that would not heal. Daisy cracks the tip of hers open at times and it hurts like mofo if she gets you with it but I wouldn't consider having it lopped off as an adult unless it was very serious. A little tail knick can sling alot of blood but it may not be a danger to the dog per se. My .02

Laurier

Postby Laurier » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:40 pm

I don't have an opinion as to whether to dock or not. But I just wanted to say if you do decide to go through with it. You might want to look into getting one of these as opposed to an e-collar.

http://www.bitenot.com

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:15 pm

moto1320 wrote:I wouldn't do it Boo. if memory serves Connor had alot of bone showing that would not heal. Daisy cracks the tip of hers open at times and it hurts like mofo if she gets you with it but I wouldn't consider having it lopped off as an adult unless it was very serious. A little tail knick can sling alot of blood but it may not be a danger to the dog per se. My .02

Yup, the last bone in Connor's tail was exposed for about 1/4 inch. From October 12 (when I started fostering him) until his surgery the Monday after Thanksgiving we never got it to stop bleeding for longer than 2 or 3 days. And he ate or wagged off every bandage we tried.

His tail was really long and had a bad kink in it, probably from being broken.

Return to “Health Issues”