An Egg a Day!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
odog80

Postby odog80 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:37 pm

I give Tank one raw egg with the shell and all about 2 or 3 times per week. I started doing that along with giving him some raw meat a few times a week also. Since doing that and switching his dry food to Canidae, he looks so much better. His coat has gotten very shiney and he has increased muscle tone. Most importantly, he loves the change too :thumbsup: :cool:

Aiaylasdream

Postby Aiaylasdream » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:00 pm

How did you get them to eat raw eggs whole? I would be afraid that they'd choke :(

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:05 pm

Aiaylasdream wrote:How did you get them to eat raw eggs whole? I would be afraid that they'd choke :(

lol They crack them open easily. I have to be careful when I feed them whole eggs now because they like to run around the house with them and crack them in random places.

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:08 pm

I just take them outside and hand it to them and they take it all gentle and run off with it and crack it themselves. You might have to throw it at the ground the first few times you give them so they get the idea....

pitbull_love

Postby pitbull_love » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:08 am

I gave Elvis an egg in his food and he loved it. I think I will do every few days or so cause I also put tuna in his food about everyother day. He loves that stuff!

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:56 pm

I would switch to Salmon as the Mercury content of Tuna can concentrate and toxify. I used to eat alot of tuna fish and daisy loves it so i kept alot around the house for a while until I realized that neither one of us should have it that often. Salmon is cheaper and better for the pup. Daisy Mae goes nuts over it. I think she would take salmon over a steak.

My vote goes to every other day on the eggs too. A TBS. of olive oil in the food one day and an egg the next keeps Daisy's dry skin in check and looking like she's waxed. :thumbsup: Dog food already has enough saturated fat in it so I would move to other sources over the eggs exclusively.

dopeychristy

Postby dopeychristy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:21 am

Well bad news. My vet just told me to stop giving her raw eggs. She said that about 20% of raw eggs now carry Salmonella.

tjbsandy

Postby tjbsandy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:30 am

Wild animals don't worry about salmonella, and they are still around.

It's my personal opinion that vets and people doctors don't know dick about food. I'd listen to Pat and the others on here before the vet any day. They say the safest way to feed raw eggs is to poach them, thus killing any bacteria in the white. If you want to keep feeding eggs, poach 'em. Just remember the key to life: Everything in moderation. :thumbsup:

dopeychristy

Postby dopeychristy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:33 am

tjbsandy wrote:Wild animals don't worry about salmonella, and they are still around.

It's my personal opinion that vets and people doctors don't know dick about food. I'd listen to Pat and the others on here before the vet any day. They say the safest way to feed raw eggs is to poach them, thus killing any bacteria in the white. If you want to keep feeding eggs, poach 'em. Just remember the key to life: Everything in moderation. :thumbsup:

Is the white what carries the bacteria?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:40 am

No. It's not just the white that carries bacteria. The purpose of poaching the white of the egg is to make the biotin available to the body for nutrients. Most dogs can handle eating raw foods and eggs w/no problem. Their digestive tract is a lot shorter than ours, stuff doesn't sit in it long enough to cause as many problems as it does w/us. I am not saying there are no cases of dogs getting salmonella...there are risks in feeding raw as well as kibble. My 12 year old dog who had a compromised immune system due to cancer eats raw eggs (poached) and meat and has never had any problems, in fact she is healthier now than she has ever been. In my personal experience, the benefits of raw outweigh the cons, but it's a personal choice.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:49 am

I did see/or read recently,(can';t remember wehre but think it was WDJ), you have lees chance of the salmonella thing if you buy free rane, organic eggs. Of course trhey cost over $2.00 dozen here, but that is what I use.
I also will feed can mackeral for a switch.

Pitt-terra

Postby Pitt-terra » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:32 am

Pandora gets an entire egg, shell and all every other day in her breakfast. The other days she gets yogurt. I give her the shell because it has calcium in it. She will take a whole egg out of your hand and eat it.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:32 pm

The Salmonella is generally going to be in the yolk but the chances of the dog having trouble with it are slim. I won't say it can't happen cuz it does but for the most part, it's not a big concern. Most of the digestion for dogs and cats happens in their stomach, the main reason very few have trouble with bacteria. I don't know much that can stand up to hydrachloric acid(stomach acid). It's broken down real well, THEN it hits the digestive tract and is there for a matter of an hour, maybe 2. Like Concreterose said, even dogs with compromised immunes systems, those with cancer or severe allergies, can still deal with it and not have trouble.

Corliss797

Postby Corliss797 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:37 pm

Murphy LOVES an egg on his food every few days. And the shell is his favorite crunchy snack. he chows it like potato chips! he gets so excited when he sees me taking out the egg carton for his food.

Big Papa

Postby Big Papa » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:20 pm

i guess im giving my dogs too much egg then i give him 3 a day

Return to “Health Issues”