Dry around the eyes

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chance's mom

Dry around the eyes

Postby chance's mom » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:11 pm

Hey All.

I have a question regarding thinning hair around the eyes and a little dryness as well. We recently noticed the white side of his face (near his eye) had been thinning. Today we noticed it was drying and scabbing. He does not scratch the area.

Could this be the start of a skin disorder or parasites? He also has two 1/8" square patches of hair loss on his shoulder and hind leg.

A skin scrape is probably our next step, but could this be due to weather. Is there a moisturizer that we could give him? Also, could we improve his diet, particularly in regards to his skin. What could we add to his diet? We currently feed him Purina One Puppy Formula.

Thank you in advance.
Lacy

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:04 pm

I'd get a skin scrape done - that sounds exactly the way demodex usually starts out. I went through that with Angel, she had two patches, one around the eye, and one on the muzzle, and it took us a full year to clear it up (not using dips or ivermectin). What finally cleared it up was switching her to BARF.

It COULD be dry skin, but I think it's far more likely that it's demodex. If a scraping shows that it is, I'd really encourage you away from the dips and such, they're awfully hard on the dog, and when demodex is localized it will usually clear up on it's own with good diet and good care.

You can definitely improve his diet, Purina is not a good food. If you look around in here, you'll see a ton of threads about food.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:41 pm

:goodpost:

chance's mom

Postby chance's mom » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:38 am

thanks a lot, we did switch chance over to a raw diet and he loves it. i got the vegi cubes going and give him like 2 a meal and also got a few different raw meats. we got chicken liver,heart, kidney and liver. i know i read no pork meat so none of it is pork, its either chicken or beef. does this all sound right? i am giving him garlic a bit as well. any other help would be great as far as portions or a schedule or something. i am kinda making it as i go to see what he likes and doesnt.
thanks

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:06 am

Don't feed too much offal (hearts, livers, etc.). Shouldn't be more than once a week. I forget the exact reasoning, but I know it's really high in certain stuff, as it's organ meat, not muscle meat. They need it, but in fairly small amounts.

Make sure you're pup is getting plenty of raw meaty bones, he'll need it to help him grow. Chicken backs and necks (or turkey backs and necks) are ideal. If you're freaked about choking issues, you can get it ground up. Or you can feed just straight muscle meat and supplement bone meal. Make sure it's a quality bone meal, cheap, non-human-grade ones can be sources of lead and other nasties.

Make sure you're pup is getting enough. A growing pup should be eating up to 10% of his body weight per day. I find it's best to start at around 8%, then watch his weight closely. You should be able to feel his ribs under a light covering of fat/muscle. You don't want him underweight, but most puppies are fat.

You might want to stick to one or two protein sources max for now, as if you expose him to a ton of proteins as a pup, he may develop food allergies later.

Make sure he gets fish once a week or so also.

Are you supplementing with anything? I'd recommend a good probiotic, or some fresh, quality yogurt. Also kelp is great (or you can get stuff like "sea meal" from Solid Gold). And apple cider vinegar. Ginger helps digestion (and reduces gas). Go easy on the garlic, in high amounts it can cause anemia in dogs. And I find even in small amounts it makes them toot :roll: Fish oil is good, a source of omega's, and good for the skin and coat. And raw egg is great!

Make sure he's getting way more meat than veggies.

When I first started, I fed my dogs 65% raw meaty bones, 20% muscle meat, and 15% veggies, with an offal/fish meal once a week. I added the supplements I mentioned above.

Lately, I'm feeding more like 65% muscle meat, 20% raw meaty bone, only because the bones I use most of the time (beef) are more bone than meat, and the dogs poop a LOT more when I feed them mostly bones, and they don't keep the weight on well. If you're using backs and necks, you probably won't have that problem. I'm much happier with the results now that I've switched their ratios around, but again, if I were feeding chicken backs/necks it wouldn't have been an issue.

As for pork, it really depends where you live. Seems in the States trichanosis is a real concern. If you live in the US, or somewhere else where trichanosis is a threat, you can always cook the pork. I'm lucky in having "clean" pork here, and I occasionally give my dogs raw pork - they love it. It is a fatty meat though, so the first couple of times it can give them the squirts. Most dogs LOVE a raw pig's foot. Chicken feet are a nice treat too. As are smelts (small fish, I keep them frozen, and give them as treats).

Good luck!

Return to “Health Issues”