B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chevelle7175
Newborn Bully

Postby chevelle7175 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:31 pm

this thread is way helpfull and entertaining, i read all 36 pages , thanks everyone for all the great info!

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:36 pm

I have some meat questions, please don't laugh.

What cuts of meat do you typically get? I'm very clueless, but my local supermarket seems to be having a meat clearance or something.

I found pork tenderloin and some sort of roast thing (like a big block of meat with a piece or fat or skin or something on the top :dunno: ) for the most insanely cheap price for this neck of the woods, but pork is a giant mystery to me. Would these things be okay to feed?

There are also whole rabbits really cheap. Can I do anything with a whole rabbit? Is it a meat dogs typically like? Is it a very fatty meat?

.....and finally, legs or lamb? Can I do anything with that?

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:51 pm

pitgrrl wrote:I have some meat questions, please don't laugh.

What cuts of meat do you typically get? I'm very clueless, but my local supermarket seems to be having a meat clearance or something.

I found pork tenderloin and some sort of roast thing (like a big block of meat with a piece or fat or skin or something on the top :dunno: ) for the most insanely cheap price for this neck of the woods, but pork is a giant mystery to me. Would these things be okay to feed?

There are also whole rabbits really cheap. Can I do anything with a whole rabbit? Is it a meat dogs typically like? Is it a very fatty meat?

I feed pork occasionally but my dogs get some nasty farts from it, and yogurt won't even help it...so I would feed pork in moderation.

I would think a small whole rabbit would be a good meal...rabbits are prey of many species of wild dogs, so I don't see why it wouldn't be good for domesticated ones. I don't know about lamb, since it's ridiculously expensive here.

I usually get chicken, turkey, sometimes duck, beef, fish and occasional pork.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:17 pm

get whatever you can on sale...

lamb i wont give mine as they get NASTY runs and smelly gas, rabbits give them wicked gas too..

i dont feed pork, but do feed all other meats, and when the store is having a sale i grab everything i can and stock up...

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:19 pm

What every is a good price that'll fit in my freezer OR not take a ton to butcher into good-sized pieces.

tenderloin = good.
could the big block either be pork shoulder or pork butt? If you can take a picture and email it to me - Lelsie will take a look.

Sounds like "big block o pork" might require some butchering. You need some meat friendly friend, girl.

pork is good. pork is one of Franny's top 3 meats. Pork often comes for free in our house, not as much since L's job changed.

rabbit = good too. My kids like it. Though it's expensive and so they've only had it twice. My experiences is that it's pretty lean.

how big are they? that leg bone in there's pretty big but you could hack the meat off....but the pirce might not be worth that.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 pm

pork tenderloin is boneless as far as i know, so it's good to feed as long as your dog(s) can handle boneles meals. or as an add-on for bonier meals. heck, i'd buy it but it's usually so dam expensive!

the roast thing could be a picnic roast. i feed these all the time, as they often go on sale. pork is fairly fatty (more fatty than rabbit and chicken), but IMO it's a great meat. the thick skin on the outside is a good workout and cleans the teeth well. the big bone in the middle of it might be too hard for the dog to chew up and eat, but i feed it all the time and take the bone away when it's been picked clean.

what to do with cheap rabbit? send it to me! lol
rabbit here is SO expensive. if i could afford to feed it, i would. it's pretty boney, and quite lean. awesome food choice tho!

lamb is quite fatty. my dog can't handle large ammounts of it without some serious gas. the bone in the leg is probably not edible (unless your dog is bigger and stronger than mine!), but nothing wrong with feeding it if your dog can handle it.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:33 pm

Maryellen wrote:i dont feed pork, but do feed all other meats, and when the store is having a sale i grab everything i can and stock up...

Ditto.

I don't feed pork meat but I do feed them pork bones on Saturday just for chewing.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:11 pm

what to do with cheap rabbit? send it to me! lol
rabbit here is SO expensive. if i could afford to feed it, i would. it's pretty boney, and quite lean. awesome food choice tho!

I wish I could send you guys rabbits, they're like a $1.50/lbs (which is cheap meat around here) and there's hundreds of them. I'm just worried that I'll buy a ton, only to discover that it doesn't agree with the dogs. Same with the pork.

could the big block either be pork shoulder or pork butt?

I believe it is pork butt, or at least my dodgey translation skills make me think it is. I'm happy to bust out the knives and hack the thing up if it's a fine thing to feed.

how big are they? that leg bone in there's pretty big but you could hack the meat off....but the pirce might not be worth that.

They're like the size of my thigh lol
It's really tempting, even if just for a photo op, to let them have their way with it, but I probably would need to cut it up. They've eaten lamb before, cooked, but it was fine, so I kind of feel safer than with the pork or rabbit.

...oh shoot, one more question. I found organic, meat/bone/organ grind way cheaper than the pre-made stuff I was getting. They have elk and bison, but would those bones be too hard to digest even when ground or is the issue more one of not breaking teeth or being able to properly chew the bones?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:20 pm

pitgrrl wrote:
I believe it is pork butt, or at least my dodgey translation skills make me think it is. I'm happy to bust out the knives and hack the thing up if it's a fine thing to feed.

I'd feed pork butt. But we never get it because it's what you make Carnitas out of and everyone wants it.

They're like the size of my thigh lol
It's really tempting, even if just for a photo op, to let them have their way with it, but I probably would need to cut it up. They've eaten lamb before, cooked, but it was fine, so I kind of feel safer than with the pork or rabbit.

I'd do it - but I'm weird like that.

...oh shoot, one more question. I found organic, meat/bone/organ grind way cheaper than the pre-made stuff I was getting. They have elk and bison, but would those bones be too hard to digest even when ground or is the issue more one of not breaking teeth or being able to properly chew the bones?

for me, it's more about how big and think the bones are whole. again, I'd buy this is if were the right price for us.

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:59 am

For those of you who get chicken quarters at Walmart; are they the ones with 10% broth added? I've found it hard to get cheap chicken without the broth. Is it ok to feed that chicken or are there too many additives in it?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:04 am

i get the chicken quarters that come with the bone.. not with the broth.

Save A Lot stores too have sales on chicken quarters as well, and Weis stores are cheap to.

pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Postby pit_amor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:01 pm

I have been reading posts you guys have made and I think I am convinced to start making my dogs their food myself. I have an idea of what I want their diet to consist of. I will list it below. If there is something I should add or should not add please let me know.

*Brown rice/wheat pasta
*Chicken/Turkey
*Eggs -(raw or cooked???)
*Yogurt
*Peas
*Carrots
*Oatmeal
*Potatoes
*apple

So far this is my meal plan. Let me know what u think. :)

layla
Newborn Bully

Postby layla » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:02 am

what about deer meat? and how long is too long in the freezer? i believe we have some from last year that never got ate..

i havent seen anything about deer/venison on here so i am curious. its processed like hamburger meat.

thanks!

layla
Newborn Bully

Postby layla » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:13 am

also..if i do decide to feed raw, can i give her raw in the morning and dry food at night? and how many times do i need to feed? i'm trying to get all this straightened out and figured out but its really not working haha..

sorry if these questions have been asked before! just wana make sure.. :oops: thanks! :peace:

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:25 pm

Many people feed one meal of raw and one meal of kibble a day, the general thought though is not to mix the two as it can cause stomach upset. You might want to take some time to do some research before jumping in, not because it's rocket science (though it sometimes feels that way to me :)) ), but just to get an idea of what components you need to include.

I know people certainly feed deer and venison, but hopefully someone a bit more familiar with it than me can answer that, since I've never personally fed it.

Return to “Health Issues”