B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:22 am

I feed mine 60% raw meat and bones, 40% raw fruits and veggies. About a year now, also. Like ME says, whatever works for your dogs, do. Mine love it.

My vet was VERY upset with me when he found out what I was feeding my dogs. He said "I've made a lot of money off people who feed their dogs bones." I said "Not RAW bones." Now, however, every time he sees my dogs, he tells me what a mistake he made and how awesome they look. They are healthier than ever.

Kristin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Kristin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:14 am

Maryellen wrote:kristen - NO COOKED BONES EVER... bones are to be given RAW....... read all the pages of this topic...

Ok thanks! I read the rest and talked to this lady who has been feeding raw for like 15 years at the petstore about it, she was selling Natures Variety frozen foods. We got a bag of the chicken flavor and some turkey necks and beef bones. The dogs loved them! The ingreidents are great, but it's a little exspensive so were feeding half raw/half kibble diet since we feed a good brand of kibble.
But before that my mother who is a know-it-all went behind my back and cooked the beef marrow bones while I was at school. I told her about all of the bad stuff they can cause, but she didn't believe me until the lady at the pet store told her the same thing I said. -_-

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:26 am

where are you in nj? i am in nj too, and i get my raw from a butcher, that is cheaper then the natures variety patties...

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 am

ok, you are closer to the shore... i would join the raw feeding groups on yahoo, they have alot of people who feed raw who you can hook up with and get great deals on raw food, its cheaper then the natures variety raw....

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:19 pm

Brandy wrote:I have been considering feeding my gals/guy RAW/BARF.

I would like to hear from those of you who have fed RAW/BARF for the entire life of their dog, and how long their dog lived.
I would also like to here from those who have been feeding RAW/BARF long term.
I'd like to know what you considered to be the Pros & Cons as you saw personaly saw them. Please!!!!!!!!!!!! :peace:

Can anyone answer my previous question please!!

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:31 pm

Sorry, I can't answer the long-term questions. I've only been feeding mine this way for maybe 9 months and they are 5 (two) and almost 2 (rescue).

For me the pros are that they LOVE it. Can't wait for the bowl to hit the floor. They seem much healthier. And much leaner.

The cons are that the way I do it, it takes more time than just opening a bag. And for me it is a little more expensive than the crappy Purina I was feeding them.

I feed about 60% raw meat and bones and 40% fruits and vegetables. The strangest part to me is that they ALWAYS eat the vegetable stuff first. And stand around the food processor while I'm making it, whining.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:06 pm

i have been feeding it for a year.

my gsd has BAD food/air allergies. on raw she has actually done excellent, and her allergies are not as prevelent...

my older dog Sonny (rip) was on raw for over a year too, he passed away of osteosarcoma. i have no clue if the raw helped him as he lived to 13 1/2.

my pit bull mix has been on raw for a year and does fantastic on it.

my new pup has been on raw since she was weaned and will remain on raw for her entire life.

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Thank you Beowulf & MaryEllen!

Is there anyone else that has been feeding Raw for longer then a few years?

bolo
Newborn Bully

Postby bolo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:00 am

thank you so so much Maryellen,any more comments guys?

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:44 am

Bolo,

If you want more info from people who've been feeding Raw for +10 years, join RawPaws.com. It sounds as though your vet is giving you a lot of push-back, which is GREAT. (The vets who walk away and won't even discuss the topic are the vets to leave. They say Raw=Bad, end of discussion.) This will make you do your due diligence and "may" cause this vet to convert to the Dark Side roflmao.

As far as the phosphorous issue you mentioned earlier, for some reason Vets who are anti Raw, cling to this myth. I'm guessing that the Pet Food companies who provide much of their nutritional training (because they fund the research, conflict of interest, no?) have some great photos of pets they've damaged in the research lab through feeding Meat Only or some such strange diet.

Anyway, if you are feeding a Prey type model, the ratios should be exactly what your dog needs because you are feeding ratios based on an entire body. I feed no grains and only an occasional veggie and Monte is thriving. He is doing better now than when I was following more of a Pitcarin model - So listen to your instincts and try a couple of the well known dietary models and you'll do great.

Your dog should "glow" on this diet, if it doesn't go back to kibble. It doesn't work for every dog and don't take it personally if it doesn't work for yours.

Marie[/i]

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:30 am

EL_EmDubya wrote:Bolo,

If you want more info from people who've been feeding Raw for +10 years, join RawPaws.com. It sounds as though your vet is giving you a lot of push-back, which is GREAT. (The vets who walk away and won't even discuss the topic are the vets to leave. They say Raw=Bad, end of discussion.) This will make you do your due diligence and "may" cause this vet to convert to the Dark Side roflmao.

As far as the phosphorous issue you mentioned earlier, for some reason Vets who are anti Raw, cling to this myth. I'm guessing that the Pet Food companies who provide much of their nutritional training (because they fund the research, conflict of interest, no?) have some great photos of pets they've damaged in the research lab through feeding Meat Only or some such strange diet.

Anyway, if you are feeding a Prey type model, the ratios should be exactly what your dog needs because you are feeding ratios based on an entire body. I feed no grains and only an occasional veggie and Monte is thriving. He is doing better now than when I was following more of a Pitcarin model - So listen to your instincts and try a couple of the well known dietary models and you'll do great.

Your dog should "glow" on this diet, if it doesn't go back to kibble. It doesn't work for every dog and don't take it personally if it doesn't work for yours.

Marie[/i]

Thank you Marie! I haven't even discussed with my dog's vet yet.:) I'm just of an older generation that feels "the prove is in the pudding".LOL

I will check out RawPaws.com. :thumbsup:

bolo
Newborn Bully

Postby bolo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:47 am

@Marie
thank you so much for you info,im planning to feed my dog 80% raw meat,10% raw meat bones&10%organ,is it the right ratios? some people told me that the meat bones is the most important in raw feeding,can you help me marie. . . .guys do you mine . . :) this is what you guys called Prey type model diet right?any other dietary models?can you guys help?can you guys suggest a book about raw feeding,so i can be sure,and im planning to pull my vet to the dark side ;),i also joined the yahoogroups rawfeeding people

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:20 am

Your ratios are wrong Bolo, so go back and do your homework. RMBs should be 70% of the diet. (Meaty is the important word in RMBs, picture a chicken thigh.) There are many books on feeding Raw listed in this thread. Yes I want you to re-read the whole thread. You'll learn a lot.

Welcome to the Dark Side :cool:

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:16 pm

bolo wrote:im planning to feed my dog 80% raw meat,10% raw meat bones&10%organ,is it the right ratios?

I think maybe you're confusing the ratios 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% organs which is often given.

10% bone would probably work out to be around the same as the example Marie is giving you.

bolo
Newborn Bully

Postby bolo » Sun May 04, 2008 3:35 am

hei guy which one of this books that you can recommend?
Give Your Dog a Bone
By Dr. Ian Billinghurst, B.V.Sc.

Switching to Raw
By Sue Johnson

Earl Mindell’s Nutrition and Health for Dogs
By Earl Mindell and Elizabeth Renaghan

Dr. Pitcairn’s Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats
By Richard H Pitcairn, D.V.M. & Susan Hubble Pitcairn

Ultimate Diet
By Kymythy R. Schultze, A.H.I.

RAW DOG FOOD: MAKE IT EASY FOR YOU AND YOUR DOG
by Carina Beth MacDonald

Raw Meaty Bones.
Tom Lonsdale

Raw Dog Food by: Carina Beth MacDonald
Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog By: Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown, D.V.M.

Return to “Health Issues”