B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Iron_Crutch_Lee
Newborn Bully

Postby Iron_Crutch_Lee » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:12 pm

HEY...does anyone know where to find green tripe in Jersey??? I've gone to some ghetto ass supermarkets lookin for the stuff. also, should you only feed green tripe with beef or can you feed it with other meats as well? I can
t seem to find a decent meat connect to make b.a.r.f affordable for me and my 2 puppies, at least not in the long run. Organs I can get super cheap. beef is like 2.67/lb and chicken is pretty high. If anyone from NJ knows of anyplace near me please lemme know. Also, what kind of RMB's should I give to my 9 week old pups (14 and 16 pound pups) that they won't choke on. Thanks Guys :peace:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:23 pm

iron, i just picked up some green tripe today from one of my suppliers www.healthypawsllc.net all food is sold frozen, and she has venison all year round, plus goat, lamb, beef, and she has green tripe. her prices are high though.

i also belong to another raw supplier who is delivering food in different parts of nj the middle of january.. northstar1101@yahoo.com is her email, her name is kelly. tell her what you want, and where you live and she will tell you what area she delivers in. i am driving a half hour to meet her to get my next order. her prices are:
Ground Turkey w/bone is $1.14/lb in 5lb bags
yes, I can custom mix a batch for you. Custom mixes range from $1.49 - $1.79/lb or more depening on meats/ingredients used.
No Venison Available, sold out for the season.
I will have rabbit available at $2.50/lb Whole rabbit, no head, cut in 6 pieces.

again, you MUST read the entire thread here so that you give your pups the right amount of organs, meat, bone, as growing pups need the right amount of calcium/phosphorus and you dont want to screw up their joints by not feeding the right ratio of food...

supermarkets WONT have green tripe, you have to go to a supplier of raw food for dogs to find it.

for cheap chicken Save A Lot stores have sales 10 lbs for $10 and shop rite also has 40-50% off sales every few months..

there is also goffle poultry farm in wyckoff nj that sells free range chicken, turkey, quail for humans and pets as well. ..

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:24 pm

also Iron, your pups are going to need at least 3-5 lbs PER DAY for each of them right now, as they are growing pups..

please do your research before you feed raw. its necessary to do the research as its not just toss a few pieces of meat in their bowls..

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Maryellen wrote:also Iron, your pups are going to need at least 3-5 lbs PER DAY for each of them right now, as they are growing pups..

please do your research before you feed raw. its necessary to do the research as its not just toss a few pieces of meat in their bowls..

I think 3-5 pounds per day each is a little high in my experience. I have had pups that temporarily would get up about 2-2/5 pounds a day but that was short, growth-spurt eating.

For 9 week old pups, I do bone-in chicken breasts and leg quarter (often scoring the flesh so it's easier to rip and eat), heart, organs is very small amounts, bonelss beef-lamb-goat-pork. turkey necks. Poultry feet are also good.

I also typically make a meat-veggie grind for my pups since it's easier to do one of the 3 measl a day out of a bowl.

Iron_Crutch_Lee
Newborn Bully

Postby Iron_Crutch_Lee » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:17 pm

I have my pups on Nutro Max Puppy right now and don't plan to switch right away until i do all the research and find an affordable way to do so. But even though I eat it, isn't the horomones in the meat at the supermarket going to affect the pups growth? Thanks Maryellen & Franster.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:56 pm

oops, i keep forgetting not every pup is a porkster like ruby... sorry .. fransterdoo is right with the figures.. my pup was a porkster and ate a ton more then most normal pups..

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:22 pm

ok so ive read every page in this topic and other topics on raw feeding that have been floating around. Not including a few other sites ive read topics on raw

ive decided to feed raw form the moment i bring my pup home in the next few weeks but am still pretty confused.

i was wondering if someone on this site with a fair bit of experience in raw could help me out?

i need someone to write me up a brief 1 week or even a few days feeding plan for my new pup.

would be very appreciated.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:36 pm

Why don't you write the menu, and we'll critique it.

(You'll learn better by going through the process, rather than having it handed to you.)

For each day explain what you are feeding (product type, amount, supplements) and why.

LMW

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:11 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:Why don't you write the menu, and we'll critique it.

(You'll learn better by going through the process, rather than having it handed to you.)

For each day explain what you are feeding (product type, amount, supplements) and why.

LMW

ok il give it a go,

morning- 5 chicken wings

lunch- a few chicken necks and puree veg

dinner- beef mince

although ive read alot of info on barf im still dumbstruck or what to feed as i haven't done it first hand yet.

not sure weather im going to add any supplements

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:52 pm

OK, now answer how much, and why.

If you've read this thread you should be able to answer those questions.

LMW

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:15 am

El_EmDubya wrote:OK, now answer how much, and why.

If you've read this thread you should be able to answer those questions.

LMW

5% of her body weight i will be feeding, 3 times a day

bones becasue there good for there calcium. And if done correctly i wont need any calcium supps

il be using soft RMB and small ones until she is able to get though a whole one with out any trouble

ill add some cottage cheese or natural yogurt for the good bacteria if its needed.

i know im not ready to raw feed atm, but all this is helping.

the plan i wrote is very simple and im sure needs alot of improvement so my pup grows properly.

so what you think?

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:50 am

Good start but I was looking for something with a spreadsheet-ish format :twisted:
Spell it out like this:

Wt of dog
Energy/age factor
Total Weight fed/day=

Meal 1_______________Wt______________Reason(s)/Content as %of week
Ingredient 1
Ingredient 2

Meal 2_______________Wt______________Reason(s)/Content as %of week
Ingredient 1
Ingredient 2

Supplements:_______Amount__________Reason(s)
Sup 1
Sup 2

Daily total:_______________Wt______________%
Meat
Bone

I want to see how much each ingredient is contributing to the meal plan. And it would also help to be weighing your meats to start as if you are more disciplined in the beginning you will be less likely to make mistakes. Having a pup means your mistakes will last a lifetime :sad:

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:01 am

not sure on weight as i still haven't got her yet

i think il just do my best and il pick it up sooner or later..

practice makes perfect

i don't really want to feed chicken breast as that is quite expensive..

would chicken necks be fine for a meal?

all this research is really doing my head in

anyone here who's had pups on raw post what you used to feed so i get a bit of an idea.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:35 am

sydking, you really really need to read the entire barf 101 from page one to end... you cant just say you will do your best, as that will harm the pups growth and will damage the pup due to lack of nutrition..... yuo cant say practice makes perfect, as you are playing with a pups developmental stage and food the body is going to need... feeding raw is not a practice makes perfct and do the best and pick it up sooner or later. you really really must do your research if you are going to feed a puppy raw....

maybe you should stick to kibble when your pup comes so that the pup grows properly and gets the proper nutrition, and research raw while feeding kibble this way you understand the concept of raw and what it entails...then once you feel more comfortable you can then think about feeding raw...

i think il just do my best and il pick it up sooner or later..
practice makes perfect
i don't really want to feed chicken breast as that is quite expensive..
would chicken necks be fine for a meal?

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:29 am

understood and thanks for the advice,

but i can read all the info i want but unless i actually do it i will never learn

i will start on kibble for her early stages

what is a good one that some of you have tried in Australia?

the one i used to give my last dog they don't make anymore lol, it was a while ago

Return to “Health Issues”