B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:59 pm

So, why are stainless steel bowls suggested for raw feeding instead of heavy duty plastic dog bowls? Is it for sanitary purposes? Does the plastic retain some of the moisture and make it dangerous?

plastic bowls can retain moisture/food and harbor bacteria as its porous. stainless steel bowls are not as porous as plastic or ceramic, and are safer. i used stainless steel even when i fed kibble

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:09 pm

i'va always used stainless steel too. (they're big and cheap at the feed store ;) )

mine have a rubber ring around the bottom that helps them stop skidding, but even still they do move a little. not enough for me to care tho!

if you're having a problem with it sliding around, i'd suggest getting a placemat under it. at my parents place they have a plastic bowl for maggie, and it slides around like a hockey puck! i got some of that rubbery/foamy drawer liner stuff that you use for toolboxes etc. (i had a roll of it in the garage), and it works GREAT. the bowl doesn't move anywhere now! :thumbsup:

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

Great idea kayte! I think I have some of that drawer liner stuff somewhere. I'm off to search.

jocy
Newborn Bully

Postby jocy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Beowulf wrote:So, why are stainless steel bowls suggested for raw feeding instead of heavy duty plastic dog bowls? Is it for sanitary purposes? Does the plastic retain some of the moisture and make it dangerous?

I ask because I recently made the switch to stainless steel and my dogs push the damned bowls everywhere. They are too light. Plus, Pandora's reflection in the bowl scares the little nitwit.

I was very conscientious about sanitizing the plastic bowls after feedings but I still thought stainless steel would be better. But not if they can't eat the food.

Thoughts anyone?

Hey Beowulf,

My bf was able to buy stainless steel bowls but it has the rubber grip on the bottom of the bowl, so it doesn't slide around.

He got it at Petco... that might help.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:39 pm

:po: How many times do we have to say "READ THE WHOLE THREAD!" ??? :po:

Believe me I really struggled when I started feeding raw and I don't want you to go through the learning curve the way I did. (I had a mange-infested-foster pup, so I was dealing with a lot of issues.)

Rather than reading this thread on line, I recommend that you print out the WHOLE thing and read it using a highlighter. You can toss the pages that don't apply to you and use the other pages to come up with a feeding plan. There are links, formulas, and lots of suggestions for both saving money and minimizing health risks to you and your pups.

Please don't minimize the importance of doing this preliminary work as it will save you time, money, and frustration over the long haul. Plus using some 'active learning techniques' like highlighting and writing notes will help you retain the information more than just skimming through this thread.

Best of luck,

LMW[/b]

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:25 am

Oh great gurus, I need some advice.

Turkey was a big part of Streets' diet until this summer, when we had a run of, well, the runs and limiting his diet to chicken and duck seemed to make it better (in retrospect I think the issue was not so much with diet, but with the stress of constant thunderstorms....). I then re-introduced turkey and he projectile vomited the first turkey meal across my place of work, so I got a bit paranoid and haven't fed it since.

The dogs have been painfully under exercised in the last few weeks because of bad weather and a tendon problem Streets is having, so in spite of cutting back their food a lot, they're packin' on the pounds. Turkey, weirdly, is way leaner than the chickens in these parts and certainly leaner than duck.

So here's the thing, should I try feeding turkey again and assume any digestive disasters were coincidental or is it possible that Streets could have just spontaneously become intolerant of something he used to eat a bunch of? Is there something else I could be feeding, keeping in mind that they can't do beef, bison or pork and lamb seems really fatty?

I guess I'm just looking for ideas.....

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 pm

I've got no help for you Pitgrrl, but I also have a guru question. I know that it is important to have a variety of foods for proper nutrition. What if your dog is allergic to absolutely everything but chicken? Salmon oil, yogurt, everything?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:38 pm

ruby is allergic to chicken, she breaks out in hives and itches, so i dont give chicken at all. maybe try other meats instead? or duck? what about exotics like emu, rabbit, kangaroo stuff like that?

skada21
Adolescent Bully

Postby skada21 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:15 pm

I'm wondering what success you people have had with fish. What is a good kind to feed? Do you do canned tuna or no? Or do people mostly just stick with fish oil?

I tried to feed smelt and then I had some defrosting smelt on my living room floor... lol

Also, I thought there was a thread on supplements and why, but I can't seem to find it. Can anybody assist, please?

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:12 pm

skada21 wrote:I'm wondering what success you people have had with fish. What is a good kind to feed? Do you do canned tuna or no? Or do people mostly just stick with fish oil?

I tried to feed smelt and then I had some defrosting smelt on my living room floor... lol

maggie LOVES smelt. i get frozen lake smelt from the local supermarket, and maggie gets a couple every morning (they're small!).

i'm not sure if she'd eat them defrosted, she generally doesn't like things with a slimey/gooey kind of texture, so she gets them frozen. (same with liver, kidney, etc.)

as for canned tuna, i don't buy it for maggie. she gets canned salmon sometimes when i buy it for me, but that's about it. i think tuna's high on the mercury list, so if i did feed it, it would be in moderation.

blazinZ
Newborn Bully

Postby blazinZ » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:59 pm

I usually feed sardines, I do about 4 per month so once a week
My pup will get fish mixed in with his regular diet. Smelt is good too.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:42 pm

so yesterday i bought a 20 lb leg of pork for $20 at the grocery store...fresh.. brought it home, put in fridge.. today i take it out to cut it up for the dogs, and i cut the bag open.. fine.. as i start cutting up the pork, it smells a little.. which pisses me off as i bought it yesterday.. we are having a major blizzard right now, and i cant get out to drive the half hour back to the store to return it.... should i toss the entire leg and not feed it to the dogs?

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:08 pm

I've fed "sort of" smelly meat to Lila with no problems. My rule is that if it's just past the point that I'd consider it then she can eat it. If it's really gross and disgusting then I just throw it out or call for a refund. That does suck though, esp. since you just bought it. Could you call and complain and explain that you can't get back to return it due to the blizzard? A manager might just give you a credit for it without even having to bring it back. That's happened to me on a few occasions.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:10 pm

the skin smelled more then the meat, i kept smelling it as i was cutting it up and the meat itself wasnt that bad, so i am probably going to feed it.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:47 pm

Maryellen wrote:the skin smelled more then the meat, i kept smelling it as i was cutting it up and the meat itself wasnt that bad, so i am probably going to feed it.

Was it shrinkwrapped?

Pork can off gas a little and give off a "porky" smell when you break the seal of the shrinkwrap.

Was it a full leg? Way to go, ME - you've come a long way, girl!

Return to “Health Issues”