B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 pm

jewelsdaddy wrote:It probably was the laundry detergent ME. Glad Ruby is doing better.

Ok, now I have a question. I feed chicken, turkey, beef and pork. But, I feed only beef hearts and pork hearts for meaty meat when I feed them those protein sources. Is that okay or should I be feeding other parts of the cow and pig? I do use beef liver and kidneys for organ meat. I just get really good deals on the hearts and that is why I use them. I get pork hearts for .67/lb and beef hearts for.99/lb.

Those are great deals on heart for my area! I say feed whatever is in your price range!

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jewelsdaddy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks, I just lucked out because we have several meat distributors locally. Is bison basically just like beef or is there a difference in the meat?
I thought about getting some bison for the dogs but didn't want to pay the difference if they offer the same nutritional value.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:06 am

jewelsdaddy wrote:Thanks, I just lucked out because we have several meat distributors locally. Is bison basically just like beef or is there a difference in the meat?
I thought about getting some bison for the dogs but didn't want to pay the difference if they offer the same nutritional value.

I'm sure there are more differences than this since it is a different animal, but it's higher in protein and lower in fat if I remember the nutritional profile correctly (I haven't bought it in a while, so.....).

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:06 pm

We tried a bit of regular chicken today :) I was making chicken for lunch, so put some aside for the dogs, and mixed it in with the kibble. Everyone seemed to like it.

I'll most likely pick up some Chicken Leg quarters tomorrow after work. They are on sale as well. I'm still taking things pretty slow...

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:51 pm

megan dont mix raw with kibble , feed one meal raw, and one meal kibble.. like breakfast kibble and dinner raw

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Crap! So you shouldn't give them a bit of the raw with kibble to get them used to it? I'll nix that then :)

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:09 pm

its ok, just dont mix it.you can give raw as a treat later on after the kibble meal to get them used to it, or just jump in and give raw for dinner one night to them. i just stopped feeding kibble one day and gave the dogs raw and didnt look back. they did fine going over to raw..

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:59 pm

ive been feeding raw and kibble, i know its not good but il stop,

she likes the raw, i got 1/2 kilo of minced chicken frame today.

anyone else feed minced chicken frame to there pup?

skada21
Adolescent Bully

Postby skada21 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Question: I got some turkeys from the local butcher, and I'm wondering if I should cut off the pope's nose or if it's OK to feed. I'm worried about it being a little too greasy.

Also, I have a bit of a problem with one of my dogs swallowing bone pieces that are too big (it's only been pork so far, I think) and then upchucking it at three in the morning! I'm not feeding him pork anymore but I was wondering if there's another solution.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:11 pm

so my new supplier told me she can give me whole rabbits 2-3 lbs each for $8 each. she doesnt sell by pound, its basically $8 for a rabbit whether its 2 lbs or 3 lbs.. and she will cut it up for me or leave it whole.. i checked other places and they all want at least $2.25 and up per POUND for rabbit, so this price of $8 per rabbit is pretty good.. i just ordered 4 rabbits cut in half since they will be too big for ruby and rufus to eat whole. jesse can eat a whole 2 lb, but not the other 2..

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:52 pm

so is this a good deal? should i pass on the freezer burned hearts?

We have about 20 pounds of them. Plus two hearts - about 7 pounds total - that have bad freezer burn (they weren't bagged and have been frozen a year and a half. I've used one for my dog, he doesn't have a problem but you might not want it.) We also have about 8 pounds of marrow bones. So it's about 35 pounds of meat/bones. If you wanted it all, you could have it for $40 (figuring the knucklebones worth much less than the heart and marrow.) Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Just a small update:

I haven't made the full switch to raw... recently joined a yahoo raw message thingy, to keep reading. I have been giving them "treats" while making dinner here and there...

Gavin got his kibble in the morning, and I gave him a chicken neck and some heart this evening for dinner. I was a bit freaked thinking he may try and eat the entire neck...so sat there and held it for him. If I ever wanted to know if his food aggression was just limited to dogs--this was the time to find out ;-).

Daisy (moms dog) will not touch the raw food. Venus will take it or leave it..sometimes she wants it, other times it takes her awhile to eat it.. Gavin seems to be the only one who really likes it..but the other two are older... I'm wondering if I should leave well enough alone with them?

skada21
Adolescent Bully

Postby skada21 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:45 pm

I finally made the switch to raw on January 1 after reading a lot of materials for the past four years. I sourced chicken for eighty cents a pound, got free turkey from the local butcher, and have a couple of places to try for beef/bone/organ mix. My dogs love eggs and veggies and fish, and although they aren't keen on kelp, they do eat it if I mix it with something else. They also get yogurt.

Conan has had the best poops so far (he's had the runs pretty much since I got him almost two years ago, no matter what kibble he eats) and they both seem to have wonderfully soft and shiny coats now.

HOWEVER, there's been a lot of barfing going on. Turbo had an upset stomach twice since we started and needed to be let out during the night, which is very unusual for him (I'm thinking it's too much fat or maybe organs). Conan has been throwing up mostly bile, and yesterday it was slimy and mucus-y too. I know sometimes he eats too fast and then the bigger bone pieces come up again so he isn't getting pork for now, but what about the mucus?

My partner is pretty set on switching back to kibble, but I am hesitant since I just bought 100+ pounds of chicken on Friday.

If anybody can offer any suggestions, it would be nice. Otherwise, I have a lot of chicken to get rid of...

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Sometimes if my dogs go too long between meals if I'm caught somewhere else (like, 5:00 a.m., 7:00 p.m.) they will do the vomiting bile thing. Other than that, they never throw up.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:35 pm

I think Beowulf is spot on.

Make sure you are feeding enough and you may need to give them a small snack before bedtime or give them a few treats mid-day.

Return to “Health Issues”