B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:07 am

When I feed the dogs eggs, or use them myself, I just save the shells, rinse them off and then let them dry overnight or whatever. Then I use a coffee grinder to grind them down to a powder.

The measurement I've read in a few places is aprox. 1/2 tsp. eggshell per pound of meat to balance cal:phos.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks, that is helpful.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:39 am

Well, I fed beef for both meals yesterday and she was just the same as she was on turkey, so that's a good sign. However, I didn't see anything with the chicken until after three days of feeding it, I think. She got beef again this morning, but will eat tripe for dinner.
I'm thinking of trying the chicken again just to be sure it was that and not shampoo that gave her hives.... Maybe in a few days, or next week?

louie
Adolescent Bully

Postby louie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:24 pm

My butcher has ground and whole chicken backs available in 30lb cases. The ground chicken back is only $2 more than the whole chicken backs and for convenience purposes, I bought the ground. The ground chicken backs are easier to store since the case came with 8 relatively square bags of the meat and it's also easier to measure/weigh.

Will my dogs get the same benefit from eating the ground vs whole? I know one of the benefits to feeding whole would be that chewing would clean their teeth but am I missing anything else?

Po.Verse
Matured Bully

Postby Po.Verse » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Quick question.

Been feeding RAW/BONE mixture for a few months

To me, it seems more expensive. But i feed my dog about 2lbs, 2 meals a day. Is that to much? [Shes 52lbs, 7 months]

Ive read alot of people only feed there dogs once?

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:29 am

How many meals a day you feed is kind of an individual thing. I feed 3 times, some feed once, others twice, it just depends on how your dogs do best.

Amount of food is also individual. Are you feeding 2lbs a day split into 2 meals or 4lbs total a day?

The typical starting point is about 2% of the dogs body weight, then adjusted according to the needs of the individual. To use my two as an example, in the summer they eat about 2.5% to maintain a healthy weight, in the winter months that goes up to around 3-3.5%. It's really a matter of finding the right fit for the dog.

As for cost, are you feeding pre-made raw food? That can get pretty expensive. You'd likely be able to cut down costs by doing some research into local meat suppliers, butchers, etc. and stocking up when you find good deals.

Clayton4
Newborn Bully

Postby Clayton4 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:47 am

I feed my male 3-4lbs a day of meat(turkey necks, beef hearts, leg quarters, chicken backs, turkey wings, turkey gizzards) His protein source from meat generally comes in am/pm meals. 3-5 days out the week he gets a carb source(sweat potatos, whole wheat pastas, I even once found a whole wheat rice type product, maybe oatmeal but not often) Since I work him so much I don't worry too much about portion size with carbs, and the fact that he nevers eats all his carbs anyways. His afternoon meal is generally 2 cups kibble(either TimberWolf or Instinct by Natures variety) some 1tbsp flax oil, 1tbsp olive oil, couple eggs (shell and all), 2 tbsp yogurt, 2 tbsp cottage cheese, 1 tbsp Solid Gold Sea Meal, 2-4 cups broccoli, and some fruit from time to time.

I get real good results from this. I feed all my dogs this way and have had nothing but good results. I feed the females in the same manor, just smaller portions.

I find feeding RAW to be much cheaper than kibble and all the added benefits from doing so. I had one female that I helped cure several skin issues and digestion problems with this feeding style. Very little meds were used to treat her. My butcher gives me a real good deal, I spent $275 and got almost 700lbs of meat. I was getting cases of chicken backs and turkey necks for $14.40, that's 40lbs of meat. Beef Hearts is the most expensive at $55 for a 30lb case, but the dogs love it!!

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Thu May 28, 2009 11:23 pm

I have an older Shiba (she's ten, turning 11 in November) that the vet recommends to have a scaling done for some back teeth, which I'm considering having done but I wonder if raw can help instead? I'm considering fish (prey model) as she LOVES fish but I wonder if it has the same benefits for the teeth as the chicken.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri May 29, 2009 8:12 am

Do you currently feed raw?

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Nope, but I'm in research stage still :)

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri May 29, 2009 8:06 pm

If the teeth are yucky (and she's older) then I'd do the scaling and finish up your raw research. IMO raw is better for preventing tooth gunk and some cleaning but it's not going to help a dog in need of a real dental cleaning.

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Fri May 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sat May 30, 2009 12:06 am

I agree. Right before I started raw, my dogs all had a major teeth cleaning. Raw has kept them clean and shiny since then but I don't know if it would work if you started out in the hole, so to speak.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun May 31, 2009 5:25 pm

I think it depends on how bad the teeth are.

Stella started raw at 18 months, so her teeth were fine.

Fiona was almost 3 and had quite a bit of plaque build up (Boston's have notoriously bad teeth), but after a couple of months on raw, her teeth have improved about 50%, and I expect them to improve further.

But, if the teeth are pretty nasty, definitely get a cleaning first, then start the raw, which should help maintain the clean teeth ;)

Kaia09
Newborn Bully

Postby Kaia09 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:30 pm

I just started a raw diet about 2 weeks ago for my 10 month old Pit mix. She is doing very well on it but its making me a little nervous to see chunks of bone in her stool. I have been giving her chicken quarter legs to start. Is it normal to see the bones in her stool? They r not extremely large I actually have to examine her stool to see them. The biggest one I found is maybe an inch long.

Return to “Health Issues”