B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: www.collarshop.org
Contact:

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:29 am

Kaia09 wrote:I just started a raw diet about 2 weeks ago for my 10 month old Pit mix. She is doing very well on it but its making me a little nervous to see chunks of bone in her stool. I have been giving her chicken quarter legs to start. Is it normal to see the bones in her stool? They r not extremely large I actually have to examine her stool to see them. The biggest one I found is maybe an inch long.


In the beginning that's not unusual, no. And typically isn't dangerous.

However, nothing is without risk, and that includes feeding bone :thumbsup:

User avatar
extrablues
BANNED
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:33 pm
Location: New York- brooklyn

Re:

Postby extrablues » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 am

barbponys wrote:When I started it was in the beginning of feeding raw and there wasn't any help out there. I ground all the meat and veggies together, I used oatmeal and millet, I avoided chicken............. It was WAY harder than it had to be.

Now when a new dog comes in, foster or whatever, I hold out a chicken back(in a towel for better grip) and let them learn to chew. After the second or third time, they know what it's all about and I feed them what ever part I feel like. The cat took a little longer (like a YEAR) to figure out that eating bones was fun.........

A meal for Garion is usually a leg quarter and two wings, some cottage cheese and kelp. Sash usually gets a leg quarter and part of a breast, Goliath gets a few chunks of the breast and the neck. Fancy gets the majority of the chicken with cottage cheese. All get kelp daily and a fish oil supplement 4 times a week. Beef I cut up into hunks, when they RMB's I usually give them shoulder blades or ox tails. They have recreational bones available most of the time. It takes me 5 minutes to prepare a meal for them, cutting up the chicken is simple, turkeys take a little more time. They are big enough to feed my 5 straight raw for 4 days. I paid 6.30 for a 17# turkey during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season.


:goodpost: thanks for the info! is it 2-3% two times a day or one time a day?


Image

User avatar
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: www.collarshop.org
Contact:

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:01 pm

It's 2-3% total a day. You can feed that all in one meal or divide it into two, depending on your preferences ;)

Some dogs need more or less, depending on activity level, genetics, etc. About 2% is a good starting point though.

switters
Newborn Bully
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:08 am

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby switters » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Question from a soon-to-be raw feeder:

Everything I've read advises feeding large, meaty bones to begin with. One guideline I saw was to feed a bone "as big as your dog's head" so there is no chance of him swallowing fragments and getting an obstruction. The dog we're about to adopt is 70 lbs., and has some Mastiff in him. I can't think of many bones as big as his head except the weight-bearing bones, which we're supposed to avoid because of the possibility of splintering.

So what RMBs should I start my dog with?

User avatar
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: www.collarshop.org
Contact:

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:48 pm

switters wrote:Question from a soon-to-be raw feeder:

Everything I've read advises feeding large, meaty bones to begin with. One guideline I saw was to feed a bone "as big as your dog's head" so there is no chance of him swallowing fragments and getting an obstruction. The dog we're about to adopt is 70 lbs., and has some Mastiff in him. I can't think of many bones as big as his head except the weight-bearing bones, which we're supposed to avoid because of the possibility of splintering.

So what RMBs should I start my dog with?


My dog isn't huge, but her head is quite long/large, and if I had to only feed pieces that were as big as her head, well, I'd have a helluva time hahaha.

I would try out large chicken leg quarters to begin with. And since my girls were gulpers at first, I would hold one end while they gnawed at it. You can hold with a towel to make the grip easier. This hand feeding in the beginning will also help lessen the risk of resource guarding.

It's also quite normal, especially in the beginning, for dogs to try to swallow too big of a piece, gag it back up, and try eating it again. Unless the dog is actually choking, don't interfere or freak out. It scared me at first, then I realized that the dogs are just learning :)

However, whether you feed raw or not, it is a good idea to learn the basics of the "doggy heimlich" and to know what to do if your dog is actually choking.

Relax and enjoy :)

User avatar
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4443
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:54 pm
Location: smurf landia

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Do you have much cooking or meat handling experience? My big dogs all do well with 1/4 of a chicken (seriously - just wack it into quarters) and I think that can be something easy for new to raw dogs.

BUT since this is a new adoption - I'd suggest letting him settle in. I typically do that unless there's a health reason to get them on Raw first thing.

switters
Newborn Bully
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:08 am

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby switters » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:03 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Do you have much cooking or meat handling experience? My big dogs all do well with 1/4 of a chicken (seriously - just wack it into quarters) and I think that can be something easy for new to raw dogs.

BUT since this is a new adoption - I'd suggest letting him settle in. I typically do that unless there's a health reason to get them on Raw first thing.


Yeah, we're very familiar with preparing and cooking meat so no problem there.

Someone else on another forum made the same suggestion re: not changing his diet right when he moves in. Maybe one big change is enough for a few weeks.

User avatar
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4443
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:54 pm
Location: smurf landia

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Exactly!

more like multiple new things since you folks are new to raw feeding as well. I fed many of my fosters raw but I have the experience to feel confident. It's hard to have a new dog in a new home AND be trying to figure out raw.

I'd suggest that you keep him in a high quality kibble for now and do tons of research on why/how to feed and meat resources in your area.

best of luck.

switters
Newborn Bully
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:08 am

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby switters » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:47 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Exactly!

more like multiple new things since you folks are new to raw feeding as well. I fed many of my fosters raw but I have the experience to feel confident. It's hard to have a new dog in a new home AND be trying to figure out raw.

I'd suggest that you keep him in a high quality kibble for now and do tons of research on why/how to feed and meat resources in your area.

best of luck.


Well, I've already done quite a bit of research (read two books, Lonsdale's and McDonald's, joined Internet forums and read their archives, read this thread, etc.) and we've just joined San Francisco Raw Feeders, a local meat buying co-op with incredible selection and prices. I will be volunteering with them next week and we'll be ready to place our first order after that, which would arrive in December. I figure we'll give ourselves and our new doggie a month to adjust, while we continue to learn and plan, and introduce raw in Dec. What do you think?

broken-pick
Newborn Bully
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:51 am

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby broken-pick » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:35 pm

What are examples of RMBs? Are chicken carcasses considered as RMBs? On average, how many kgs/lbs of chicken does your dog eat per week? I wanna learn more about prey model diet for my puppy. She's about 4 months old, so how many kgs/lbs of chicken should she be eating per week? I'm not gonna feed her chicken only though, but I read that at the beginning, stick to only 1 source.

User avatar
kcalbat
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby kcalbat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi,

So I have read through every single page on this thread...it only took me three days haha. I had been thinking about switching Tito, one of my APBTs, to raw for several months before I decided to try it. I have a Maltese on Natures Variety. Been on it his whole life and does very well.

The other three dogs have been on Avoderm. Tito has really bad allergies so I had decided to switch him to raw. It has been about three weeks and I have noticed a HUGE difference. His stools are smaller, his coat seems to shine more, he doesn't smell as bad, he no longer chews on his feet until he cries(he really is just that dumb), and the staining on his feet is going away. Im LOVING it.

At the moment he is just on chicken as I am watching for his allergies and taking it slow. Mainly chicken quarters and chicken necks. He also gets egg w/shell, fish oil, tripe, small amounts of liver, and yogurt.

I gave him pork feet last night.

Im slowly going to start getting more cuts and different meats. Ox tails, chicken backs, and whatnot.

This is what I have been going off of http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm.

Just thought Id post my xp. Im still learning though.

User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:12 pm

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
:dance: :dance: :dance:

Great job on reading this thread, you've learned probably more in the three days than I did in my first year :))

LMW

User avatar
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1905
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby kaytenmags » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:15 pm

kcalbat wrote: Tito has really bad allergies so I had decided to switch him to raw. It has been about three weeks and I have noticed a HUGE difference. His stools are smaller, his coat seems to shine more, he doesn't smell as bad, he no longer chews on his feet until he cries(he really is just that dumb), and the staining on his feet is going away. Im LOVING it.

At the moment he is just on chicken as I am watching for his allergies and taking it slow. Mainly chicken quarters and chicken necks. He also gets egg w/shell, fish oil, tripe, small amounts of liver, and yogurt.

I gave him pork feet last night.

Im slowly going to start getting more cuts and different meats. Ox tails, chicken backs, and whatnot.

This is what I have been going off of http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm.

glad to hear he's doing so well!
switching to raw helped with my girls allergies too. she would also chew her feet until she cried. (she'll still do this in the springtime, but environmental allergies are a whole nother ball game lol )

i find that website you posted to be an unnecessarily complicated diet that sounds high in bone, but i could be reading it wrong. i only skimmed it. either way, i'm glad it's working out for you and your pup! :) :thumbsup:

User avatar
kcalbat
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby kcalbat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Awesome, ty guys.

I actually printed out this thread lol. I had to toss a few boobie pages away, heehee, but otherwise its SOOO helpful.

I hope the allergies was due to grain only. I guess Ill find out in the summer. Its just nice to see him actually relaxing instead of chewing his feet :)

Still learning the ropes, Im sure over time i'll have it down.

User avatar
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4443
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:54 pm
Location: smurf landia

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:44 pm

GREAT!

so glad to hear it's helping!!!!


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 19 guests