B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:16 am

Bryan Morris wrote:I've started feeding based on the 3% factor as the dog is just 5 months but have read somewhere that a dog that young should be eating much more than that? Is this really so? If so, what formula should I then use as determining the amount of food I should provide for the dog?

for puppies, you should be feeding 2-3% of their estimated adult bodyweight. :)

Bryan Morris
Newborn Bully

Postby Bryan Morris » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Thanks, kaytenmags.

I'm about feeding him this now and he seems to be a happy camper on raw.

Bryan Morris

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:17 pm

I just want to chime in for a min here......My girl Bella is on a "cancer diet", so her needs are a bit different. She gets no starch and nothing that will turn to sugar (carrots,corn,,,no grains whatsoever)...What I feed is,,,,I buy whole chickens and grind them (grinders are expensive, but I don't worry @ splinters. It's totally worth the investment of a good commercial grade grinder otherwise your arm will want to fall off. 1 hp does the trick). 10% organ meat, 1 ground almond per 10 lbs weight, and vegies,,,they need their fiber, and will help loosen the stool (just think of how you feel when you strain) besides fiber there are many vitamins they get as well. I also buy cans of sardines in water, rinse, and put in the mix 2x a week. She gets egg 2x a week as well. This is what I do in a nutshell and she does really well,,,,and it's probably as expensive as a good kibble to do. Good luck,,,,and feel very good about feeding RAW......

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:24 am

What do you guys think about Darwins Natural RAW? I've just stumbled on this and was thinking of trying it. I don't have the time to do the actual RAW, like cutting/grinding everything, the prep for it and such... so was looking for a good RAW that was already prepped for me. Any suggestions would be awsome too!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:34 am

Curly_07 wrote:What do you guys think about Darwins Natural RAW? I've just stumbled on this and was thinking of trying it. I don't have the time to do the actual RAW, like cutting/grinding everything, the prep for it and such... so was looking for a good RAW that was already prepped for me. Any suggestions would be awsome too!

Here's the link for folks:
http://www.darwinspet.com/darwins-raw-dog-food/

IMO, It looks a-ok. Very similar to the other products out there right now (Primal, Stella and Chewy's, etc)

How's the pricing for you, Curly_07?

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:59 am

The pricing isn't really an issue. I also just found Natures Variety raw...i like the organic chicken frozen diet. For curly she would get 7.5 oz/a day acording to their chart, so that would cost me about $115/month for Curly. I found a local pet boutique by my house that carries it. It's cheaper than the Darwins I found earlier. I'm going to pick up the Natures Variety after work today and try it...

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Curly_07 wrote:The pricing isn't really an issue. I also just found Natures Variety raw...i like the organic chicken frozen diet. For curly she would get 7.5 oz/a day acording to their chart, so that would cost me about $115/month for Curly. I found a local pet boutique by my house that carries it. It's cheaper than the Darwins I found earlier. I'm going to pick up the Natures Variety after work today and try it...

sure - give it a go. My only beef (ha!) about NV is that there is a TON of stuff in them.

If you want to check out a few more products, there's an exhastive list here:
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/rawfoods.html

We make our own and one day, I'd like to open my own company so I'm always interested in pricing and such.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks for that link. I just read over it and it was very helpful!

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:24 pm

I have a really quick question - I know that it's in here somewhere, but I can't find it!

What does it mean if the poop is yellow?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:33 pm

KittyNyanNyan wrote:I have a really quick question - I know that it's in here somewhere, but I can't find it!

What does it mean if the poop is yellow?

like a bright yellow? could be too much bone. What's been on the menu for the past couple of days?

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:13 pm

Today she had a fish with an egg, yesterday she had a cornish game hen with liver, gizzard, heart, etc.

The day before she had goat.

All the meals have bone!

Thanks for your quick reply!

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:17 pm

We just started feeding raw and Leo goes absolutely nuts for the chicken. I had a question about what was suggested to us from an owner of a pet food store who sells pre packaged raw foods, and feeds her dogs raw meats. She told us since we wanted to start feeding raw, we should start off by just feeding chicken backs (removing excess fat and such) for about a week because they are easier to digest for the dogs. Then, feed chicken backs in the morning and chicken leg quarters and an egg if you want for dinner for the next few days. Then after about a week and a half introduce other meats.

Is this ok? I've been reading a lot on here and it seems like I should be feeding organs and such as well? Or is this fine for introducing him to raw? I noticed he hasn't had much water at all in the last 2 days, I'm not sure if this is a problem. Going from dry kibble I imagine there's a lot more moisture in the chicken, and he isn't a heavy drinker to begin with. Let me know if this is ok, thanks in advance!

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Woops, forgot to also ask if there was anyone in the North/Central Florida region (I'm in Gainesville) who has a meat supplier? We can't find a local meat market, and are looking for options, thanks!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Sorry I missed you yesterday!

That doesn't sound like too much bones but it's hard to tell anything else without acutally seeing the poop. Large amounts of chickn fat can give poop a yellow color but a game hen doesn't have much fat.

KittyNyanNyan wrote:Today she had a fish with an egg, yesterday she had a cornish game hen with liver, gizzard, heart, etc.

The day before she had goat.

All the meals have bone!

Thanks for your quick reply!

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Can anyone tell me if these tips on this site are all factual? Especially the substituting eggs for organ meat? Thanks.
http://www.skansen.com/nutrition/diet.htm

Return to “Health Issues”