B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby mhocker10 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 pm

well, my local store didnt have TW... so I ended up getting NV Rabbit kibble. He's going to get 1 scoop of it tonight to flush out the Iams crap aswell as 5 more oz of the Rabbit and Produce. Tomorrow he will get his first chicken leg.

the guy at the pet food store also feeds raw/barf.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby mhocker10 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:20 pm

about a week now feeding NV kibble and raw. he loves the fresh chicken! he gets some gas now and then...will that pass as he gets used to the higher protien diet? how long is long enough on 1 protien to try a new 1? and how long till I should add organs?

thanks all for the great thread!

1 last question.... is behavior effected by providing a high protien diet? and if so, in what ways.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:47 pm

I wouldnt worry about organ for a while.

Do you plan on doing 100% raw at some point?

I would stick with 1 protein for 2 weeks or more if he is having trouble adjusting to the protein.

Certain proteins can cause gas for them. Every dog is different. Also changing food and adding raw is probably what is causing it. Around here pork causes the worst gas!
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Thalia_Cache » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:54 am

We have been doing raw for a few days now and the dogs seem to really love it! I have yet to find some really reasonably priced meat though; the cheapest I have found so far was at T&T Supermarket in Coquitlam. Anyone in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley area know of any butchers/markets? All of the ones I have spoken to have their meat shipped in and don't deal with any of the leftover bits/organs.

Also, I cannot find the page that touched on fasting and the broth people use? Could someone touch on that again, please?

Thanks!
Thalia_Cache
Newborn Bully

Postby mhocker10 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 am

well, I went to my local butcher shop yesterday and hit the mother load. I got fresh un-frozen marrow bones and frozen meaty half knuckles. He gets 1 cup of kibble in the morning and 1 marrow bone at night. He has the meaty knuckles whenever he wants to chew. I bought 1 weeks worth of afternoon raw meals for under $6... less then a dollar a day for his meals. He's chewing on a knuckle as I type this.

Chicken quarters will be his next rotation protein and they were on sale for $1.69 / lb. I'm sure though I can get them at a better price if I shop around.

I will continue to provide him kibble as a base for his nutrition....

he also receives ( and loves ) ... peas, green beans, carrots, apples, cottage cheese, lightly cooked eggs, peanutbutter and berries. I will be adding yogurt soon.

he was just at the vet yesterday so I know his true weight is.. 63.8 lbs. Therefore, his afternoon raw meal is around 8/10s of a pound. 1 marrow bones contents basically.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:11 am

mhocker10 wrote:I will continue to provide him kibble as a base for his nutrition....

Why?
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mhocker10 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 am

El_EmDubya wrote:
mhocker10 wrote:I will continue to provide him kibble as a base for his nutrition....

Why?

personal choice.... he gets the needed vitamins and minerals from the kibble, so I don't need to give him supplements. I know for a fact I'm not the only one here that feeds both kibble and raw.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:29 am

I don't doubt that you are. There is no reason why you need to though.

You don't need to supplement if you feed raw.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:55 am

mhocker10 wrote:
El_EmDubya wrote:

Why?

personal choice.... he gets the needed vitamins and minerals from the kibble, so I don't need to give him supplements. I know for a fact I'm not the only one here that feeds both kibble and raw.

Yes, some people choose to feed both. But I was asking to clarify your strategy.

IMHO, feeding kibble and excessive bones is an issue waiting to happen. Most of the minerals in Kibble are balanced with respect to Ca/Mg/Zn etc and the expectation from kibble producers is that you will NOT be feeding additional minerals through providing bones.

From what you've described, your feeding strategy seems like a lot of work. It shouldn't be.

I think many of us went through what you are trying to do: hitting all the nutritional buckets...which is why many of us no longer feed a BARF model. You might want to look up Prey Model Raw to minimize the labor involved in your dog's diet, to exclude allergens, and to minimize the likelihood that specific nutrients are being fed in the wrong proportions, or being excluded completely. (IMHO peanut butter is something I would not feed to my dog (or child, or self) for a myriad of health reasons.

Feeding raw is a learning process ...
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mhocker10 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:49 am

I see where you are coming from El_EmDubya and I am working on not only simplifying my feeding practices, but will also now be moving Kanobi off kibble period and only feeding raw. I am now also a member in both [RC] and [RF] on facebook. Between this site and rf/rc I now have a lot more information to go on to offer my fury friend the best diet I can.

I will be feeding a "prey model raw" diet now until the day he crosses rainbow bridge... which I hope is many , many years down the road.

thank you guys/gals for all the info... much appreciated.
mhocker10
Newborn Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues