B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:57 pm

This thread has some really good resources:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=65467

Bully Boy

Postby Bully Boy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:05 am

thx u so much for the pictures....
well my babies are off and running. thye started raw tonight with sucess so far....pretty damn easy! and my dogs actually chew thier bones!!!!!!!
thx to everyone keep up the good info!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:30 pm

Keep us in the loop bully boy...

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:58 pm

:thumbsup: Most excellent!

vader15
Newborn Bully

Postby vader15 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:58 pm

those pictures made it easy 4 me now i know how to prepare barf...
and i dnt have to read long posts...nice job sir tnx a lot!!

picture says a thousand words! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3 thumbsup!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:21 am

Took Maddie to the vet b/c she has been ill. And as you see below, the subject of RAW come up.

Then the RAW converstaion began, started by my all dog knowing, thinks he is a dog god, lovely other half. I told my vet about us feeding raw back when Jake was in for a physical in July. Anyway, vet said she did not know I was feeding raw and the conversation went down hill from there. I got the looks and the lecture (and Billy was in heaven). Cook the meat, add veggies ,not getting all the nutrients, no bone, no raw eggs yada yada yada. And I must add veggies for vitamins (little did she know I had a phamplet which I waved in Billys face once I got home that shows where they are getting the vitaims from when we do raw) She wants them off RAW and onto cooked meat or Kibble, but defintly get Maddie off raw. So, I think the raw converstation swayed her opinion of Maddie's illness. She has had some digestive issues, and whenever she has liver or hearts even a small amount her system gets all screwed up. Is it possible some dogs can't handle raw? She also suggested getting the dogs on a probiotic. They one I use is just when I introduce new proteins and for one dog a 7 day supply is 6.00. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I don't want to put Maddie on kibble, the thought of it hurts me. On RAW, she is much less a spazz , her coat isn't brittle , and her under belly isn't constantly red. When we left, I told Billy I would take maddie off (but now I am thinking of doing 1/2 raw 1/2 kibble), but I won't change Jake and Zoe because they have had no issues on it. So, I am thinking of still giving Maddie raw chicken on the nights we have that (she has never had issues with chicken), but when i give other proteins I will give her kibble. I just would hate to take her completly off. But she will be on rice and boiled hamburger for the next little bit, so I don't have to make a decision today.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:27 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't take advice from a vet on whether or not to keep your dog on raw. Most don't know enough and they are just reiterating the tiny bit of pet food company sponsored dog nutrition class they got in vet school. My vet is very supportive of my raw diet and even told me make sure to keep Lila on it due to her inhalent allergies. But all she learned on raw she learned herself. She is not even holistic vet, just did her research and knows what she is talking about.

You know your dog, you know how she does. If raw is keeping her allergy symptoms down they why change that? How long has she been on raw? Maybe new protein sources are being introduced too fast? Why not keep her on chicken only for a good month or two and see how she does?

And FYI, I had Lila on 1/2 raw 1/2 kibble for a long time. Eventually though she had digestive issues and was switched to 100% raw. Some dogs can do OK on it but honestly there really is no need for it unless YOU feel it's best for your dog.

Good luck to you and Mattie and keep us posted!!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:41 pm

I replied in your other thread about Maddie and her sensitive stomach.
Basically, was on a webinar last night and vet siad to keep dogs with sensitive stomachs on probiotics and digestive enzymes with what ever you do feed. (he suggested raw or home cooked, not kibble)
And yes, some dogs cannot handle a raw diet.
If Maddie can;t handle raw, how about a basic home cooked diet then? It would still be a LOT better then feeding kibble.(I did get a good, simple, basic recipe to feed home cooked too)

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:50 pm

all mine get prozyme with their raw.. god forbid i give too much liver, they have the squirts... tiny pieces, everyone is fine, too much, squirts... i think you should ignore your vet as you are seeing the results of her on raw, she isnt.. my dogs also dont get pork as they cant handle it for some reason, so they get beef, elk, venison, turkey, chicken , duck instead..

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:36 am

Thanks all. Again, couldn't do raw without your imput. I appreciate the feedback so much.

I would much rather do raw/ home cooked and just avoid those proteins she can't handle. I don't want to do kibble b/c of the results I see with her. I think Turkey is a big no no for her. And hearing that other vets like Raw, reinstate my believe that I am doing the right thing by my dogs.

Pblove you stated you did get a good simple basic recipe to feed home cooked would you mind PMing me the receipe?

If I read site correctly the Prozyme is both a probiotic and digestive enzyme. Am I correct? This is the site http://www.smartcart.com/prozyme/cgi/di ... 908#review
Thanks again!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:09 am

Gust got a phone call fromh my friend whose seminar I took on Raw http://www.puppenschnoodles.com/nutrition.html She read my post about Maddie on another forum. SHe had the same suggstions you all did. She also directed me to this product. I went ahead and ordered some
http://www.b-naturals.com/product_info. ... ucts_id=24
The cellulose in the prozyme wouldn't be good for maddie b/c its derived from peanuts . Maddie has issues with peanuts (she pukes up peanut butter - I use to stuff her kongs with it and I would come home and YUCK)
So, we will try this stuff.
Thanks again you all rock!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:23 pm

akaspaddero wrote:http://www.b-naturals.com/product_info. ... ucts_id=24
The cellulose in the prozyme wouldn't be good for maddie b/c its derived from peanuts . Maddie has issues with peanuts (she pukes up peanut butter -
!

no edit darn it...the cellulose may be derived from peanuts.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:16 pm

Could it have just been PB overload when she puked it up? Give the Proenzymes a go.

We switched vets b/c they statrted giving me crap even after they tell us how great her skin looked.

zifosgirl
Newborn Bully

Postby zifosgirl » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm

I've been seeing this diet alot, and been wanting to try it due to more recalls of pet food. I have 2 dogs that are complete opposites. Puppie, a 1 yo, 10 lb, mini schnauzer, and Tomahawk, a 5 month old, 25+ lb, APBT. I'm still flipping through reading all the posts, but I was wondering if the experienced ones could tell me how to get started. For example, what to buy (possibly where too), and how much to give?

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:31 am

This is what I did, but I am no expert and pretty new to RAW too.

I gave chicken quarters for about 3 weeks. Bought them at walmart. The chickne qtrs at wal mart have some organ in it. Gave an egg every day too (which I foudn out when you feed bone you don't need to give). I also gave them Salmon oil. I took fat and skin off the chicken for the first two weeks and then slowly introducted the skin. Too much gave them the runs.
After three weeks I started to introduce new protein slowly and introduced beef liver and heart too. SMALL AMOUNTS.

I feed 2% of their body wieght. My 50 pound dog gets 1 lb of raw a day.
I am sure others who have more experience can give you more detailed info

Return to “Health Issues”