B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: B.A.R.F. 101

Postby willyg44 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 am

lol ok thanks :) I'll have to see what I can get.

So yesterday I just fed him the chicken with no organ meat because when we started feeding raw the first week we did just chicken and he did great, great energy, hard poops, great.

So he didn't want to poop the whole day and finally at about 11PM we took him out and more diarrhea :( Then when we woke up this morning he had pooped again on the floor. Either that or throw up like the last 2 nights, but this was more chunky and looked more like poop. Was a greenish tint. I don't know what to do, could he still be "coming off" the livers? He has never had diarrhea from just chicken so I'm not sure what the problem could be. The chicken definitely wasn't bad. Any suggestions? I've spent about $1000 in vet bills in the past few weeks for skin issues and a split nail and I don't want to spend more money for a checkup and tests if I can get the same information on here. He doesn't seem to be extra lethargic or anything, he still runs around.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:25 am

as long as he's still full of spunk, eating and drinking well, i'd wait it out.
what bit(s) of chicken is he getting?
you can always remove the skin for a couple days to see if that helps.
his system might just be a bit overwhelmed, see how he does in the next day or two.

is he on meds for skin issues? meds mess up my dogs stomach pretty badly.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby willyg44 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 am

kaytenmags wrote:as long as he's still full of spunk, eating and drinking well, i'd wait it out.
what bit(s) of chicken is he getting?
you can always remove the skin for a couple days to see if that helps.
his system might just be a bit overwhelmed, see how he does in the next day or two.

is he on meds for skin issues? meds mess up my dogs stomach pretty badly.

He's definitely spunky lol.. He's been getting chicken backs (decently meaty ones) and chicken quarters. I have been taking the skin off since I started raw. He's not on any meds right now no. I'll check back in a day or two and give an update. Thanks so much.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:27 am

Woohoo!! Back to normal poops and no waking up to throw up!! :D Thanks for your help. I guess now the question is.. how much liver should I start out giving him? To get him used to it.. I don't want to give him too much again ugh! They were on sale and I have like 10 containers in my freezer so I'd like to still use them.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:38 pm

start TINY.
slip a tiny bit in with the 'normal' meal, and if all goes well then you can increase the ammount the next day.
too much, and you'll know pretty quick!
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Don't worry, Wiley! You'll get the whole raw feeding thing down soon!!!!
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Straight from the horse's mouth

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:59 pm

So I know there has been a lot of discussion on many Raw Feeder's boards about whether pet food has feathers in it, or not. Well I had dinner last night with a former ag. trader and product manager who stated firmly that, YES, "Feather Meal" is found in cattle feed, pig feed, dog kibble, and dry cat food.

It was an interesting conversation that started when she asked me "Why feed raw?"

She answered her own question by the end of the night. roflmao
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby bullheaded » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:28 pm

My mom and I have been feeding a couple of our dogs raw for about 3 weeks and her dog was doing great, but all of a sudden got horrible diarhea. We have been feading chicken up to this point. My mom did start adding a suppliment to her meals (solid gold seameal) wondering if that might have caused it. We just picked up some ostrich and turkey tonight but we were wondering if we should keep her on the chicken until we get her straighten out? Any ideas on what might have caused this? Also she has been steadily losing weight. she started at about 54lbs and she has been getting a little over 1 lb a day. we were going to up that to 1 1/2 lbs per day. Is there a meat someone could suggest that might be higher in fat?

Thanks
bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Did you read this entire thread?

If so, what are your ratios?
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:07 pm

We just started last week to introduce our dogs to RAW. I have been giving them chicken quaters every other day with 1 or 2 chicken hearts. I went to a local meat market today that had a sale going on and stocked up.

They had a 40 pound box of quarters for 18$ and they also had these huge turkey necks for 1.50 each.

I also bought a pack of chicken feet, raw pig ears & gizzards.

Pork and chicken seem to be the most affordable to be able to feed all 5 dogs (4 pits & 1 chihuahua) but most have said to stay away from pork.

Also they had all sorts of liver so I wasn't sure which one to get but I figure it will be at least another week before I even try to start introducing liver to the pack.

Any suggestions on how to structure a daily meal for everyone? That seems to be the hardest & confusin part of this whole process.
Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:43 am

Pork is fine as long as you get it from a reputable source. If you are unsure, then freeze it for two weeks. Then it'll be safe to eat.
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby willyg44 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Back for an update and a question. Well, I've really got the hang of this raw thing now I think. The only issue I think I'm having is that I haven't been able to find anything but chicken livers for organ meat. I know I should be getting another source of organ meat in there, I'm going to try a few ethnic food marts tomorrow, maybe something will come of it.

So now for my question, a natural supermarket by me has these great selections of meats for great prices, and they have these huge Picnic Roasts for 1.59/pound. I picked up a big 10 pound roast because I want to start feeding Leo other things. Just feeding Chicken/Turkey right now for his main meat/RMB sources. I noticed there is a decent amount of fat on the roast. So the question is should I aim to get it as lean as possible? Trim ALL the fat I can? Do you all try to get the meat as lean as possible? Oh also, Should I give him a slab of meat or cut it into small cubes you think? Thanks a bunch, I'm loving this diet :D
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:55 am

willyg44 wrote:So now for my question, a natural supermarket by me has these great selections of meats for great prices, and they have these huge Picnic Roasts for 1.59/pound. I picked up a big 10 pound roast because I want to start feeding Leo other things. Just feeding Chicken/Turkey right now for his main meat/RMB sources. I noticed there is a decent amount of fat on the roast. So the question is should I aim to get it as lean as possible? Trim ALL the fat I can? Do you all try to get the meat as lean as possible? Oh also, Should I give him a slab of meat or cut it into small cubes you think? Thanks a bunch, I'm loving this diet :D

if it's a new meat, keep it as lean as possible and start off with just a little bit at a time.
my dog's been on raw for years now, so she can handle the thick skin/fat on pork. but if she gets it more than a couple days in a row then it will give her a bit of tapass.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Scarsmommy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Picnic roast... is that the same as Pork Shoulder?
Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby willyg44 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Hey, if anyone has a minute to spare, I just got involved with a raw co-op in Central FL, and I'm not sure what I should be ordering. I'm trying to stick to the 80-10-10 ratio, but out of the products this supplier offers, it doesn't really say how much bone and everything is included in their product.

This is some of their stuff:
http://www.raiseapaw4raw.com/

This is the order form, what the co-op offers:
http://tefcotripe.com/store/order.htm

I'm not sure if I should be just feeding either the meat eaters or performance blend ground food? Or if I should also be adding in more organ meat to the diet. It's going to be a big order, so I was wondering if someone could offer their opinions so I don't screw it up :)

And yeah, the picnic roast is pork shoulder from what I know. I talked to the butcher and it's a local product that he trusts, so I wasn't too concerned about the pork issue. I froze it to specifications to kill off anything just in case.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues