B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby pblove » Wed May 04, 2005 6:24 pm

we feed organ meat a couple tiems poer week right?
when I feed organ meat, I give them their entire meat portion of organ meat for the day?
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Robby321 » Wed May 04, 2005 6:27 pm

Why wont my dog eat raw stuff only shiba will and Demon wont touch it he will starv his sell if I don't feed him his kibble I give them two raw chicken legs each morning and kibble later on. shiba loves it, well she loves any thing I even seen her eating cat poop. Is Demon smart or just a picky eater he loves to eat stuff that is cooked. Even when he was a pup he would never eat anything raw I got a weird dog.
Robby321
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby chance's mom » Thu May 05, 2005 9:56 pm

yes we give organ meat at least 2 times a week. we dont give chance it more than that.
again: liver, kidney, heart, lung. anything but pork
chance's mom

Postby SunnyDays » Fri May 06, 2005 9:54 pm

doberkim wrote:
all feeding estimations are just that - estimates. the prior statement made that confused you all (the cocker and pit one) is false or the poster just made a mistake. you dont go by breed, or anything else. you look at the individual dog, their current condition, their exercise level, if they are growing or need to lose weight, and go from there.

bowie is 95 lbs and mya is 74 lbs. mya weighs LESS than bowie, but eats MORE to maintain her weight. they get essentially the same amount of exercise - its just that bowie's metabolism is slower.

Darnit. That's what I meant! I'm so sorry for all that confusion. Next time I'll go dig up where I originally learned the topic rather than rambling on and on about something I only half remember. :oops:
SunnyDays

Postby Phi » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:35 am

well i've actually just read the whole thread . . .
i think that the info some people gave were REALLY GOOD
some pages were really helpful and some pages kinda just got off topic . . .
can yoo people somehow just give info like how the 1st page was?
that'll be extremly helpful for some of the people who want to go into the barf diet or people who wanna switch from kibble to raw diet . . .

but anyways . . . after reading some of the really helpful pages in this thread . . . really convinces me to feed my puppy the barf diet when she i bring her home :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
thanx alot yoo guys!

and also a bump for those who have questions bout BARF
Phi

Postby concreterose » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:07 am

bump
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Sirian » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:43 am

Organ meat and great to feed.

Gizzards
liver
lung
kidney

All organ meat. Heart is muscle.

Actually gizzards are a muscle, the gizzard is an oval shaped organ made of two pairs of muscle and contains bits of grit and stone to grind up food.

Sirian
Super Bully

Postby Sirian » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:45 am

Eeek I dont know what happened in the previous post, I meant to quote what someone else wrote not what I wrote.
Sirian
Super Bully

Postby Cooper » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:42 pm

bump - to make it easier for me to find later.
Cooper
Newborn Bully

Postby Cooper » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:02 pm

Double post - I saw on page 5 where someone mentioned the Surrey Meat Packers. I actually stopped in there today and came out with a bag of ten one pound portions of frozen raw food thinking this would be an easy switch over and now I'm so confused! Based on the formulas, my dog (9 month old lab/pit cross) should get 1 1/2 pound of raw food. He is currently only getting 2 cups of kibble a day (with lots of treats and usually a raw bone for entertainment) and I think he's a good weight. Can I feed both (in half portions) for a while until I'm more comfortable with all this? Comments please.
Cooper
Newborn Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:34 pm

Why don't you try a cup of kibble in the morning and raw at night? I had the best of luck avoiding diarrhea if I fed the meals twelve hours apart.
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cooper » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:34 pm

Thanks Satanscheerleader. I gave him 1/2 cup kibble and 1/3 of the 1 pound block tonight and he LOVED it. I might try to switch the raw to mornings instead since I usually need to add something tasty anyway so that he'll eat (he's not much of a morning dog roflmao ). Is it better to feed it at night until he's more used to it?
Cooper
Newborn Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Which ever works best best for him and you I'm sure is fine. I'm so not a morning person and morning around her is so insanely busy kibble in the morning was always easier. :dunno:
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby LazyDaisy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:46 pm

Okay, here's my question. Do any of you actually have ice cream in your freezer lol ?? Just kidding, but really, this is my stopping point with BARF. I'd be at the store every day! I don't have much freezer space with all the people food and whatnot. I think if I got a house, and had an extra freezer in the garage it would be better.

How much space (freezer, fridge, etc.) does your dog food take up? If you don't have an extra freezer, how much do you keep on hand?
LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby PopeyeSaysHowdy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:07 pm

LazyDaisy wrote:How much space (freezer, fridge, etc.) does your dog food take up? If you don't have an extra freezer, how much do you keep on hand?

I have about two weeks of food on hand at any time, and it only takes up 1/2 a drawer in the freeezer and one crisper drawer in the fridge.
PopeyeSaysHowdy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues