B.A.R.F. 101

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:33 pm

LazyDaisy wrote:How much space (freezer, fridge, etc.) does your dog food take up? If you don't have an extra freezer, how much do you keep on hand?

Ok, I'll admit there have been times where our stuff has gotten run out of the freezer by meat. But it was too good of a deal to pass up!

(The Honey's ice cream goes in the freezer door!)

I know raw feeders with 4, 5, 6 dogs who have those gigantic chest freezers you could hide a dead body in. We're getting a small one in a couple of weeks because the local raw feeding co-ops sell cheap in big quantities (cases or chicken, whole goats cut 6 ways, etc) and we want to be more careful about spending.

One of the crisper drawers in Franny's drawer and we keep 2-3 meals in there. The rest goes in the freeezer and we can do about 3 weeks at a time in there with careful manuvering (raw Feeders call it "freezer tetris")

Once the drawer is empty we fill it up from the freezer.

it's all new and confusing in the beginning and then it just becomes normal...

except when my step-dad says "what the hell is she eating out there?" and I say "Rack of pork ribs, why?"
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby ssxmetro » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:14 am

Im at work and cant read EVERY post on this topic. My pup is around 17 weeks old and has been on nothing but kibble (crappy kibble like Nutro for puppies and Purina I might add) When is a good age to start feeding raw? I was going to wait until all the kibble is used up since I still have over half a bag left and my boy doesnt eat more than a few cups a day as it is. Should I start off by feeding raw chicken backs WITH the bones in it or should i take the bones out since he is now teething and may have trouble with them?
ssxmetro

Postby concreterose » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:17 am

ssxmetro wrote:Im at work and cant read EVERY post on this topic. My pup is around 17 weeks old and has been on nothing but kibble (crappy kibble like Nutro for puppies and Purina I might add) When is a good age to start feeding raw? I was going to wait until all the kibble is used up since I still have over half a bag left and my boy doesnt eat more than a few cups a day as it is. Should I start off by feeding raw chicken backs WITH the bones in it or should i take the bones out since he is now teething and may have trouble with them?

Wait to start until you do some research on it. My personal opinion is to pick one book or source that YOU are comfortable with, and use that source exclusively. If you read too many books on raw, you will become hopelessly confused. Everyone does it different, but the important thing you want to do is provide nutritionally balanced meals.

Here are some of the more popular books. I dont necessarily agree with what's in them all but I think it's up to people to do what is comfortable for them. I will say that the more easier to read ones (especially if you are new to raw feeding) are the ones I put in bold.

Give Your Dog a Bone
By Dr. Ian Billinghurst, B.V.Sc.

Switching to Raw
By Sue Johnson
Available at http://members.nbci.com/RawSetters
Birchrun5@aol.com

Earl Mindell’s Nutrition and Health for Dogs
By Earl Mindell and Elizabeth Renaghan

Dr. Pitcairn’s Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats
By Richard H Pitcairn, D.V.M. & Susan Hubble Pitcairn

Ultimate Diet
By Kymythy R. Schultze, A.H.I.

RAW DOG FOOD: MAKE IT EASY FOR YOU AND YOUR DOG
by Carina Beth MacDonald

Raw Meaty Bones.
Tom Lonsdale
concreterose
Regulator

Postby pblove » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:14 pm

FransterDoo wrote:
LazyDaisy wrote:How much space (freezer, fridge, etc.) does your dog food take up? If you don't have an extra freezer, how much do you keep on hand?

except when my step-dad says "what the hell is she eating out there?" and I say "Rack of pork ribs, why?"

roflmao
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pittiepride » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:53 pm

I feed 1/2 raw. I alternate days, one day raw breakfast and dinner the next kibble. I have a container in the freezer where I put all my veggies leftovers and scraps into and then once a week or two I put it all through a juicer add the pulp back to the juice and freeze it into ice cubes. Then I can just grab a cube to add to there meals or as a snack/treat.

I feed chicken necks and back that have been ground at the butcher, red meat, ground beef, chuck, beef heart or whathaveyou and raw fish. I will usually do a big shop and then spend a couple hours making up my meals. I feed about 2% bw/day. I weigh out my red meat as a majority of the meal, add about 10-15% of the total meal meal as the ground chicken meal (for the bones) and about 5-10% as offal (beef kidney, beef liver, chicken hearts, chicken liver, gizzards). I will also had a 1/4 pattie of natures valley green tripe patties. I like to have a variety in each meal because I find it easier.

To feed I thaw the food in a dedicated container in the fridge, add a whole egg 2-3 days a week, sometimes I will actually pulverize the entire egg in the blender. A tbsp or so of yogurt, one or two veggie cubes, some cod liver oil or salmon oil and about once a week some digestive enzymes.

When I started I found that I could grind chicken backs and necks in a blender with some water no problem for those of you that have dogs like mine that don't chew well.

The dogs also get marrow bones, knuckle bones with tendons and meat attached, sometimes ribs.

I am pretty new at raw, about a month now. my dogs are doing great with nice firm stool. I think for me I like to make sure I have a variety of meat, organs and a little veggies.

kara
pittiepride

Postby PineysMom » Mon May 15, 2006 11:11 am

Really dumb question:

So it's OK to give them raw chicken bones? They won't hurt their throats/stomachs?
PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby 48lawsofpower » Mon May 15, 2006 11:13 am

PineysMom wrote:Really dumb question:

So it's OK to give them raw chicken bones? They won't hurt their throats/stomachs?

no its just cooked chicken bones you dont want to feed.
48lawsofpower

Postby PineysMom » Mon May 15, 2006 12:26 pm

Thanks. I don't do any kind of strict raw diet, but I supplement Piney's kibble diet with raw stuff.

I'm too lazy to do 100% raw.
PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby 48lawsofpower » Tue May 16, 2006 9:01 am

PineysMom wrote:Thanks. I don't do any kind of strict raw diet, but I supplement Piney's kibble diet with raw stuff.

I'm too lazy to do 100% raw.

I thought I was too, but the enthusiasm that my dogs had from eating RAW was too much to pass up. They love to eat now, and are excited about it.

I am very happy with RAW and really if you buy for a month in advance and pre bag in individual servings for the whole month its not time consuming at all!!
48lawsofpower

Postby Linariel » Tue May 16, 2006 2:34 pm

So all I read here are the good stories-is there anyone around here that had a *bad* experience feeding raw? Impactions from bones, salmonella, etc?

I know that these things aren't common. I also know about what kinds of bones to feed, and that dogs don't often contract salmonella. But it does happen, and I'd like to know if it's happened to anyone here.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby xBullyLovex » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:35 pm

I've been feeding raw for a couple years and I've never had any bad experiences. My guys get a variety.
Whole rabbits (I raise them)
Goat
Sheep
Beef
Chicken
Turkey
Duck
Bison when available
Deer when available
Fish
Just about any meat that I can get minus Pork (doesn't go over well with my crew)

I'm glad I found this topic. It's nice to see such a large group of raw/b.a.r.f. feeders.
xBullyLovex

Postby Rugersmama » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm really new to BARF/Raw - just reading reading reading. Got some pre-made raw (Nature's Variety) to start the switch but want to make my own eventually. This thread has been invaluable to me!!

Couple questions:

1. Can I still give my dog regular packaged dog treats (dry cookies) if they're on raw? I use commercially prepared soft treats for training - is that still ok?

2. I like the idea of creating meals that are well-balanced (rmbs, offal, veggie) - can someone give me a % breakdown if I were to go this way of which % of the total meal should be each?

3. I am putting probiotics on their meals now to ease the transition - how long do I need to do this for?

4. Cottage cheese - low fat/ whole fat?

5. Eggs - I tried giving my dogs whole eggs with the shells - they ate the eggs, left the shells - I'm afraid maybe they just don't like it - should I keep trying or toss the shells?

6. Can I just put a squirt of grizzly salmon oil on each meal and consider the omegas covered?

7. Kelp & alfalfa - whole? powder format? Where do I find this?

Thank you!
Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:30 pm

1. Can I still give my dog regular packaged dog treats (dry cookies) if they're on raw? I use commercially prepared soft treats for training - is that still ok?

Sure. A treat is just that, a treat. I typically shy away from cheapy, bright colored treats but it's fine as long as it stays in the "treat" catagory.

2. I like the idea of creating meals that are well-balanced (rmbs, offal, veggie) - can someone give me a % breakdown if I were to go this way of which % of the total meal should be each?

I don't do veggies so I can't help with that but I do 2-3% of ideal body wieght depending on how active your dog is. Raw Meaty Bones (emphasis on meaty) should be the main course with about 10% of your dog's weekly amount in offal with about 1/2 that in Liver. I typically suggest for Newbies that it they can to give just a little bite of offal each day. Like a couple of little snacks of liver and then a couple of little snacks of another offal meat (kidneys are fairly easier to get).

3. I am putting probiotics on their meals now to ease the transition - how long do I need to do this for?

ummm, until the bottle runs out? I've actually never used probiotics while doing a transition.

4. Cottage cheese - low fat/ whole fat?

Cottage Cheese falls under the "treat" catagory here so we buy 2% for people and they dogs get a spoonful or a bowl lick for fun.

5. Eggs - I tried giving my dogs whole eggs with the shells - they ate the eggs, left the shells - I'm afraid maybe they just don't like it - should I keep trying or toss the shells?

Some dogs do the shells, some don't. I have one that does and 1 that doesn't. Since my non-eater still likes to crunch them: I crack them into a bowl for her. As long as you are feeding bones in the diet as a whole: shells are not a "must".

6. Can I just put a squirt of grizzly salmon oil on each meal and consider the omegas covered?

I do 2 squirts for my 60 pound girl. I'll assume that you are not using exclusivly pasture-raised meat so you want to get some O3 in there. I typically do a couple/a three squirts into the egg bowl 2-3-4 times a week.

7. Kelp & alfalfa - whole? powder format? Where do I find this?

I don't do either but I'd guess you can find it in your local health food store.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby Rugersmama » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:04 am

I typically suggest for Newbies that it they can to give just a little bite of offal each day. Like a couple of little snacks of liver and then a couple of little snacks of another offal meat (kidneys are fairly easier to get).

Are liver treats the same thing? Or have those been cooked some how?
[/quote]
Rugersmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:04 pm

I prefer raw liver since liver treats are, well, treats. They also typically have other stuff in them.

Liver is also way easier to handle if it's frozen so you can freeze it and then cut it into bites.

Franny only eats offal under peer pressure but Hank was raised on Raw so he'll happily eat up liver. Some dogs can also be turned off by how slippery it is defrosted.

You can also try different kinds of liver. Our dogs love Lamb and Pork. Chicken is OK and beef is blech.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues