reassurance from BARF/Raw people needed

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BabyReba

reassurance from BARF/Raw people needed

Postby BabyReba » Sun May 01, 2005 1:09 pm

So I haven't been happy with Reba's coat or condition on any of the lower fat dog foods, and my vet insists that she should be on a lower fat diet due to her high cholesterol. She did horribly on Wellness Lite, so I put her back on Canidae platinum, but her coat is just brittle and falling out and she looks less-than-ideal on it right now.

Lots of people have suggested that I try her on raw to see if maybe her cholesterol issue might be due to her eating cooked fat . . . and I also want her to be on a food that's going to make her look and feel good. Low fat kibble dog foods and Reba just don't go well together.

Soooooo . . . I just got back from the grocery store, bought some chicken for us for dinner, and I bought extra for Reba for the week. I am going to feed her half a boneless breast tonight (I know, I know, but I have to break into this "dogs can eat chicken bones" thing slowly!) with some veggie/liver mash . . . I am incredibly worried that she'll be sick from it. She has a pretty sensitive stomach, so I have the Pepcid handy.

But I'm still having a hard time with the bones . . . I have leg quarters and I'm going to go out and buy some backs and beef necks and stuff.

Someone please reassure me that this is a good idea. I've never been so worried about a dog's meal in my life!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun May 01, 2005 1:33 pm

Erin,
did you see the barf 101 in health ?
I am going to be right behind you, setting up now.
So I need the reassuracne too.
Maybe you should stat with wings?? They seem to be softer boens to me, but what do I know?????.
I have been driving myslef crazy over barf for some time now, just so paranoid to start it.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sun May 01, 2005 1:46 pm

I visited with a friend last night who recommended against starting with wings. She said she tried that but the dogs wolfed them down so fast it made her nervous. So tonight it's half a boneless breast, tomorrow morning she'll probably get the other half of the breast . . . then depending on how she's feeling after that, we will try to move onto meat with bones . . . I might actually just go with backs and not do the leg quarters. I don't know yet.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun May 01, 2005 2:01 pm

that made sense too.
I just need to do it and stop worrying.
I hope this heles Reba!

tjbsandy

Postby tjbsandy » Sun May 01, 2005 2:59 pm

Lilith is on her fifth day of raw dinners, bones and all, and she is doing great. With super boney pieces like the bit of chicken back I gave her the other night, I am still pretty nervous as well. So I hold onto the hunk of meat to make sure she is really chewing. She knows how to do it. She doesn't chew up food like people do, but she is crushing up the bones enough to swallow them.

The first wing was terrifying for me. lol It just seems like nothing should be able to swallow things whole like that except snakes. But as I said, she crunched up the bones first, so who am I to say she's wrong. She has had no ill effects at all, in fact, all the effects I've seen are good!

She is still on half kibble but her coat is already smoother, her farts less offensive, her eye boogers almost non exsistant, and her poos are smaller and smaller!

I was scared too, but we are doing super so far. You and Reba are going to do great!

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun May 01, 2005 4:33 pm

Have they checked Reba's thyroid?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sun May 01, 2005 4:42 pm

Yep. She's on thyroid replacement . . . she has been for about a year or so.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun May 01, 2005 4:44 pm

Ahh, What you are describing with her coat was a dead ringer for that period of time when they are trying to get the blood levels adjusted. Same with people...

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sun May 01, 2005 5:06 pm

yeah, we went through that for a while when she was first put on it. at the time, she was ridiculously lethargic, too. but she had blood drawn a few weeks ago, and her thyroid levels are normal.

she just ate her first raw dinner--i decided to just go whole hog with the chicken leg rather than the breast. she went to town on it, and she got a little serving of her veggie/organ mash. she loved it, but now she's nagging me for more!

here's hoping this transition goes smoothly and i'm not up half the night dealing with stomach upset . . .

dopeychristy

Postby dopeychristy » Sun May 01, 2005 5:11 pm

I asked my vet and she is totally against feeding chicken bones, raw or cooked. I realize you've all heard this before. Why would a vet tell you not to if it is OK to do?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sun May 01, 2005 5:17 pm

Oh come on, this is NOT the time to start telling me how evil raw chicken bones are. I was looking for someone experienced with the decision I'd made to try this to HELP. Not looking for someone who doesn't feed or believe in it to make me feel even more anxious about this than I already am.

If you want to start debating raw, why not do it on the Raw/Barf 101 thread instead of coming to a thread looking for help and doing just the opposite?

tjbsandy

Postby tjbsandy » Sun May 01, 2005 5:24 pm

I wonder if it would help ease Reba's tummy if you go ahead and give her a spoonful of pumpkin with her meals? I really don't know if that is a good or a bad idea. Anyone have an opinion?

I think that veterinarians are like doctors. They are taught about body function, taught to diagnose and treat ailments. They aren't taught so much about food. I think the doctor and the vet are great when I need medicine for something, otherwise, I would rather do my own research and deal with food stuff that way. I know all my vet knows about food is what the Science Diet reps tell him! lol
And of course they can't say go ahead and feed your dog bones, no matter what they think. We live in a ridiculously litigious society. The second someone had an issue with a bone the vet would get sued. :roll:

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun May 01, 2005 5:34 pm

Erin,
They are designed to eat bone. If Reba crushed the bone, and was careful to get it all worked around her teeth she will be fine.

Vets are brainwashed in school. I know a couple of vets, have been around for 20 yrs or more, that embrace raw feeding. They have trouble with new graduates spewing crap about raw killing dogs and cats :( . Just make sure she's crushing the bone and not trying to swallow junk whole and she'll be fine. She may regurgitate the food, it takes a little bit to get the right enzymes going, but that's not the food being bad. Just her body having to adjust. After 10 yrs, I don't hesitate to give new dogs raw. I just watch them carefully the first couple of times to make sure they are navigating well and then leave them to it. :thumbsup:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun May 01, 2005 5:38 pm

BabyReba wrote:Oh come on, this is NOT the time to start telling me how evil raw chicken bones are. I was looking for someone experienced with the decision I'd made to try this to HELP. Not looking for someone who doesn't feed or believe in it to make me feel even more anxious about this than I already am.

If you want to start debating raw, why not do it on the Raw/Barf 101 thread instead of coming to a thread looking for help and doing just the opposite?

HEY, don't send them to my thread, I am trying to work up the courage too, roflmao
I will start a debate thread, so us nervouse beginners can have some peace.
Now, you did great!!
Yeah, you did it, she loved it, go Reba!!!! roflmao

doberkim

Postby doberkim » Sun May 01, 2005 6:02 pm

the blood abnormalities are likely related to the fact that her thyroid is still off - it results in hyperlipidemia.

however, if her coat is still poor and she is clinical, even if her thyroid values may LOOK ok, i would look at doing osmsething else - either more supplement, change in diet (which you are trying), or pursuing further diagnostics.

Return to “Health Issues”