reassurance from BARF/Raw people needed

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 02, 2005 12:03 pm

Erin,
they have a couple brands of pre made raw at the Pet Depot, where you take Raba swimming too. It is up front, beside the coutner in a freezer, at the far end.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon May 02, 2005 7:37 pm

I didn't realized they carried that. We might be up there on Sunday, if we can reserve some pool time in the morning. I'll have to look at their selection.

I worried all day long that I would come home to an accident in the house due to tummy upset, but nope. I got home, she was fine. And when I made her dinner (a raw egg in the shell and a deboned leg/thigh till I get some backs--I just don't like how she tries to swallow those leg and thigh bones in chunks till she "learns" how to eat), she was thrilled with it. It's so funny to see her so excited about food. She watched me prepare it and her eyes didn't leave the counter for a second! Usually when I prepare food for us, she doesn't bother hanging around because she knows she's not getting any. But she's already caught on to the fact that raw meat=feed the dog!

tjbsandy

Postby tjbsandy » Mon May 02, 2005 7:42 pm

Yay!! :clap

I was wondering how it went! Good for you guys!

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Mon May 02, 2005 7:47 pm

excellent Erin!!!!!!!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 02, 2005 8:15 pm

awww, that little angel deserves it!
that food is expensive, and it really smells bad too, but what stopped me from buying/using it was the night two of the dogs heaved it back up about 20 minutes after they ate it, oh the smell.
I gave the rest to the fox outside and went back to kibble and cooked meat.
:crybaby:

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Mon May 02, 2005 8:50 pm

Glad to hear Reba did well with it and had no tummy trouble. I started with wings because I wanted my dog to learn to chew well and it seemed to work. The wing bones are much smaller and softer, you might try those? With the legs and thighs, she will crunch them for a bit and then swallow it, I'd guess the bones get crunched up enough since she has not had any troubles with them. Chicken necks and backs work well, too. I also feed veal neck and lamb neck bones which are bigger and she does fine with those, too. You're doing fine taking it slow...

They sure catch on fast to the raw meat being for them, don't they! Mine loves it and just smiles while she waits for her food. I did try a pre-made raw and, like pblove says, it stank. I did not buy more, I'd rather trust the regular meats.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon May 02, 2005 9:15 pm

it's funny because i keep listening to her belly (yes, i am a freak and i put my head to her stomach) to listen to the noises i hear ... but so far, nothing out of the ordinary!

hopefully we will continue to have good experiences . . .

for anyone who is trying the mixes, i kind of wonder if it isn't too "rich" of a source to start with. everything i've read recommends starting bland and moving to more rich sources as the dog's body acclimates. i have no idea what is in a mix, though, so i can't say for certain. one site recommended going with one meat source and no sugary carbs at all to start (fruits, not too many veggies, etc.) till the body adjusts.

i'm not sure what i think about that but in a way it makes sense.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Mon May 02, 2005 9:42 pm

When I was working Daisy up to raw and her nightly meal was chicken parts and her breakfast was kibble, she did fine. The only trouble was keeping her from, in her excitement, running through the house with chicken backs. Yuk. :tongue:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon May 02, 2005 10:00 pm

that's what my back deck is for! though in winter . . . gross. reba used to get raw knuckle bones till she started carrying them from kitchen to the living room (when i was living with roomies and no other pets) and my roommate found a bone buried underneath a couch cushion one day. :yucky:

tjbsandy

Postby tjbsandy » Mon May 02, 2005 10:18 pm

I have designated a towel for Lilith to eat on, and am teaching her to "keep it on the blanket". She can eat outdoors during the summer, but I needed an alternative for indoors, and this is working well. She has actually started taking her recreational bones to the towel to chew! lol

stella
Matured Bully

Postby stella » Mon May 02, 2005 10:53 pm

Great to hear that she loves her new food and that she is doing well on it. Good for you!! :thumbsup:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue May 03, 2005 11:15 am

So this morning, she barely pooped and she seems really lethargic. Usually she's up and bugging me to wake up in the morning, but today she was just laying next to me wagging her tail but not her usual annoying morning self. She doesn't seem sick or anything--just lazy all fo a sudden.

And now that I think about it, she went to bed really early last night. After I got done caring for the frogs and crabs, it was around 8, and she climbed up on the couch next to me and zonked out for the rest of the night.

Think that's normal? Think it's related to changing her feeding or just coincidence that she's going through this at the same time she's getting on this new diet?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm paying attention to what's going on with her!

tjbsandy

Postby tjbsandy » Tue May 03, 2005 11:25 am

Lilith did the same thing. I don't know if it is normal, but my husband even commented on it, and he doesn't notice much. lol
She is bouncing back quickly though. I have been terrorized all morning.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue May 03, 2005 11:26 am

Yay, thank you Tara! I was hoping others had experienced this too!

cheekymunkee

Postby cheekymunkee » Tue May 03, 2005 12:37 pm

Munkee has been on raw for a week now, Justice & Ollie about 4 days & all are doing GREAT! It took little Ollie dog a day or two to figure it out but she is having no problems now at all. Their coats are looking wonderful & Olie has much less "funk" going on than normal. I am just afraid I am not feeding them enough. Munkee & Justice both get 1/4 chicken & Ollie gets a leg or a thigh. They get a vegetable mix thing that I made ( green beans & yams for now) or egg & cottage cheese. I was feeding Justice 3 cups of Wellness a day, Munkee 2 & Ollie 1. Does what I am feedign them now seem like enough to you guys? I am giving them a cup if veggie crap or cottage cheese egg stuff. They LOVE it so far!

Debby

Return to “Health Issues”