Cortisone injection?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ChoppersDad

Cortisone injection?

Postby ChoppersDad » Tue May 03, 2005 9:06 pm

I took Choppy to the vet on Monday due to an allergy he had apparently developed to something. His back had little raised welts all over it and they were turning into scabs. He was itching like crazy....staying up all night itching and chewing his feet.

The vet gave him a shot of an anti inflamitory steriod, I believe it was cortisone and put him on antibiotics.

Anyways, the welts are completely gone, his skin and coat look awesome and hes sleeping like a baby and snoring like a lumberjack.

He had this last year around the same time. The vet says it might be something seasonal.

My question is, what are some of the drawbacks of steriod injections? Is there some long term health issues I should be concerned of if this ends up being a yearly thing?

I hate having to give him any medications at all but he clears up so well after the shot. I hate seeing him so uncomfortable even more.

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Tue May 03, 2005 9:14 pm

I was just discussing this with a pathologist(I believe that is what it is called) last week :)

As far as steroids in allergies go, corticosteroids suppress the immune system. So, giving steroids to animals with allergies doesn't change the allergy; it just suppresses the immune response to the allergen, causing fewer outward signs of disease. There's no lack of cortisol in those patients; they're still making a normal amount. We're just supplimenting that to change the way the body works. That's why steroids shouldn't be used to "fix" an allergy problem - giving long-term steroids can seriously muck up the body (iatrogenic Cushings', followed by iatrogenic Addison's when they're discontinued).

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue May 03, 2005 9:16 pm

Keep in mind, the sort of Steroid your vet injected is the opposite of anabolic steriods. It is in fact a catabolic steriod. Doctors give Cortisol to fight cancer for instance. Using an anabolic steroid if cancer is present will GREATLY accelerate the growth of a tumor.

So it is the revese of what you might be thinking. In small doses he should be fine. There can be problems with long term use but that is pretty rare for itching.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:06 pm

Once per year should be fine, vets decisions to put animals (or people for that matter) on cortizone regularly for chronic problems bothers me. It will fry the liver over time.

ChoppersDad

Postby ChoppersDad » Wed May 04, 2005 6:50 am

Of course ideally I would rather find the cause of the allergy and eliminate it.

I dont even know where to begin though. I doubt its food. Hes been on Farmore's buffallo BARF diet meat rolls for his morning feeding and then later in the day I fill his bowl with Wellness lamb and rice kibble to snack on throughout the day.

Hes been on that diet for almost a year with no chronic problems.

This is obviously something he gets exposed to on a periodic basis but I cant imagine what.

:huh?:

sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sam » Wed May 04, 2005 9:51 am

I personally would avoid using cortisone injections if possible. Hav eyou tried giving a bit of benadryl when the itching starts?

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Wed May 04, 2005 10:04 am

Have you talked to your vet about allergy testing? They should be able to do interdermal testing (or refer you to someone who can) to find out what substance your dog is allergic to.

Return to “Health Issues”