Innova... personal experiences please

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Crash

Innova... personal experiences please

Postby Crash » Fri May 06, 2005 1:43 pm

I know a lot has been said and heard, but I'm wanting to know personal experience that people's dogs have had with this food. I'm currently feeding wellness my dog is having runny stool problems so I'm probably going to change if this lasts through the whole bag. Is Innova the same quality as Wellness?? People reccomened TImberwold but its just a BIT too expensive, but not too bad so please personal experiences please!! THis will help me choose which food to try next in hopes that it will work better as far as stools and it simply being a healtheir diet for the dog.

Thanks

cisom
Matured Bully

Postby cisom » Fri May 06, 2005 2:14 pm

My personal experience with Wellness is that it makes my dog gassy. She is almost done with the bag (Super 5 Mix). I was feeding her Innova chicken or lamb, I don't remember which, but I will probably put her back on it. Her coat stayed nice and shiny and it was easy to keep her at a good weight with the Innova. The Innova is cheaper than the Wellness here in St. Louis. I think they are comparable in quality.

sarcazmo

Postby sarcazmo » Fri May 06, 2005 7:28 pm

I fed Innova up until I ordered some Timberwolf.

It was an excellent food and my dog did fantastic on it.

However all dogs will react differently to food.

Astah
Super Bully

Postby Astah » Sat May 07, 2005 4:13 am

Guinness did amazing on Innova, perfect condition and an insanely glossy coat!!! She also loved the flavour it seemd (she can be a bit fussy). Small stools too (always nice)...
I really wish that i could get ahold of it over here!

Asa and Guinness

doberkim

Postby doberkim » Sat May 07, 2005 5:44 am

no doubt innova is ABOVE the quality of wellness for a variety of reasons.

i fed innova for 9 months to my dog (until i switched to raw) and i LOVED it. he did too. wonderful coat, great energy, he adored the food (which was a problem before- he stopped eating his other kibbles). body condition was great.

i only stopped feeding it because i switched to raw - in the end i donated my last bag to my mother.

we used wellness ONCE when i ran out of food and there was a huge snowstorm and i couldnt go get anything else. the wellness gave him HORRIBLE gas.

canned innova gave bowie gas too - but with just regular innova, he was fine. some dogs have soft stools with switching to innova, mostly because 1) its too rich and 2) they are being fed too much. my 100 lb dobe ate about 2 cups a day to maintain.

i currently have innova EVO in the house for the cats and sometimes the dogs have some too - they love it.

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Sat May 07, 2005 6:46 am

Dreyfus has been on Innova his whole life. Switched to the EVO months ago. He does well on both but the poops are even smaller and lighter colored on the EVO (no grain).

Out of all the labels I have read Innova is one of the highest quality kibbles out there. Just give it a try and see. I judge food by the poop. small, light colored poops mean that the nutrients are being absorbed by the body.

I want to give RAW a try in the future. If I can harvest a few extra deer this hunting season I might give it a try then. I think it's best to switch foods every now and then or even blend different high quality kibbles together to make sure your pooch gets everything they need.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sat May 07, 2005 9:17 am

I've fed Innova Adult for several years, it's a good food and my dog does well on it. I usually mix the Innova and CA Natural adult together and I feed her raw in the mornings so she is on a half raw diet. She does well on that and she did well on just the kibble too. Why not get a medium bag of Innova and try it? I would not try the EVO since it has 42% protein and that is awfully high considering most kibble has about 24% protein.

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Sat May 07, 2005 9:43 am

gf turtle wrote:I've fed Innova Adult for several years, it's a good food and my dog does well on it. I usually mix the Innova and CA Natural adult together and I feed her raw in the mornings so she is on a half raw diet. She does well on that and she did well on just the kibble too. Why not get a medium bag of Innova and try it? I would not try the EVO since it has 42% protein and that is awfully high considering most kibble has about 24% protein.

You're feeding half raw but 42% protein is too much?

What would are dogs eat if they were in the wild? Grain?

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sat May 07, 2005 11:16 am

I've already posted my thoughts on why EVO is a bad choice for food in the thread on EVO, I am sure you've read it.

Raw meat is 70% water, EVO is cooked processed food with no water. 42% protein is way too much, it will over load the kidneys. I do not want my dog to have kidney problems later in life so I will not feed EVO. I'm not going to argue with you about the EVO food, it's your choice to feed it or not. And dogs are not in the wild, they are domesticated, so that's not a good analogy.

The original poster asked for personal experiences with the Innova kibble and I've fed it and been pleased with it.

doberkim

Postby doberkim » Sat May 07, 2005 12:07 pm

protein levels do not cause kidney probllems. a healthy kidney can handle protein, at any level almost. in fact, its not longer even recommended to lower protein levels in kidney patients now either -

you ONLy lower protein in 2 instances: end stange kidney failure, and HE. and even then, its only to effect. it's agreed and accepted that protein is a necessity.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat May 07, 2005 2:23 pm

I was jsut reading an article in The Whole Dog Journal, May 2005 issue concerning kidney diseae and low protein.
It said most American vets prescribe low prot. diet as soon as kidney disease is diagnosed. This was because of early research on rats was assumed to be true for dogs too.
It said thsoe recommendations are believed to be a myth. The whole theory of low prot. for kidney disease was blown apart in 1975 by David Kronfield, PhD who was at the time a vet researcher at U. of Penn. His concept was not to feed less prot., but rather to feed higher quality protein.
"The low protein myth is like an old wives tale, something based on ignorance that just wn';t die"
studies disproving the prevalent low prot. prescription have been widely published in vet journals and text books, but moving into the mainstream, very slowly.

Most vets did not grad in the past few years, are still un -aware or dismiss the newer studies.
the dietary goals for dogs with kidney disease are:
moderate to hight amounts of fat
moderate to high amounts of high quality protein
low amounts of phosphorus, low phos, carbs. and plenty fo water(non fluroide) juices and broths

but to go back ot, I feed Innova here, all dogs love it and are doing well on it, but converitng over to raw/barf diet now.

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Sat May 07, 2005 8:05 pm

We're feeding Stockey a mix of Innova Evo and Timberwolf with very good results after having fed him Wellness SuperMix for about 9 months. I noticed he had less gas and belching with the Innova and Timberwolf than with the Wellness. His poops are smaller and less stinky. His coat is super glossy, too. We checked with our vet before feeding Innova Evo to Stockey...he assured us that the protein level was not excessive for a dog with proper kidney function.

Crash

Postby Crash » Sat May 07, 2005 9:16 pm

Good input.... thank you guys!! I'm looking foward to buying my first bag of Innova! I never did think about blending 2 high quality kibbles together... what an excellent idea!! I'll slowly switch over from Wellness to Innova and once the dog is settled on Innova and doing well (hopefully). I'll buy another bag of high quality kibble and mix it in half/half!

Wellness did give my dog AWFUL gas and very very runny poop so I'm anxious about switching.... since the dog's poop could not be much runnier I'm actually considering just going straight to 100% Innova and not even slowly introducing it.....since the dog obviously needs a switch ASAP!

Thanks again and if there are any things that I need to watch out for when feeding Innova... please let me know.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sat May 07, 2005 11:08 pm

Don't go running off just yet. Many dogs died on Innova. I used to feed it, the immediate results were amazing, and then it started causing problems. I'm sure Pat will be by at some point to put in her experiences. i don't think that Innova is a better food than Wellness. I just switched Daisy to Canidae for 1 bag with horrible results. Is Canidae a bad food? No. Dasiy had been on Wellness for well over a year though and that's a what her system was used to, and that's what i put her back on. problem solved in 24 hours.

Other

Postby Other » Sun May 08, 2005 12:09 am

Get the Innova(Evo)!! :headbang:

Return to “Health Issues”