7 WEEK OLD PUP DEHYDRATED NOT EATING.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ARIZONA REDNOSE

7 WEEK OLD PUP DEHYDRATED NOT EATING.

Postby ARIZONA REDNOSE » Sun May 08, 2005 6:42 pm

ALRIGHT I KNOW TAKE HER TO THE VET !
LETS GET OFF OF THAT !!
she is 7 weeks ,getting very skinny and not eating , i have been force feeding pydialite and baby food , she does have anti parvo shots , has not been outside with other dogs has been segrigated scince day 1 .
she did have a hearty appitite 3 days ago but scine then she does not want to eat , no blood in stool as of yet , my guess is parvo , that is why she is being forced to eat and drink , any ideas ??? this is NOT an agressive post if you do not have any positive comments to make keep your thoughts to yourself and do not post here ,this is my pup and im trying to find out what could be wrong short of having to pay 5-600 in vet bills , not all of us have money just to walk into a vet office and say here you go. POSITIVE COMMENTS ONLY . IM NOT LOOKING FOR ANY CONFRINTATIONS HERE JUST PLAIN OL HELP BY KNOWLEGEABLE DOG OWNERS OR SHELTER WORKERS.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sun May 08, 2005 7:06 pm

i'm sorry if you don't like it, but your dog really needs to see the vet. a pup that young can crash and die very quickly, especially if it is parvo.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sun May 08, 2005 7:11 pm

Take her to the vet. They have the appropriate tools and expertise to make the correct diagnosis.

Salival
Super Bully

Re: 7 WEEK OLD PUP DEHYDRATED NOT EATING.

Postby Salival » Sun May 08, 2005 8:27 pm

ARIZONA REDNOSE wrote:this is my pup and im trying to find out what could be wrong short of having to pay 5-600 in vet bills , not all of us have money just to walk into a vet office and say here you go.

Acutally a checkup by a vet is generally about $35 dollars. After that they tell you what is wrong and then tell you your options. A parvo test is about another $25-$40. Most vets are willing to work with you if there is something very serious wrong and you may need help paying them all of it up front.

ARIZONA REDNOSE

Postby ARIZONA REDNOSE » Sun May 08, 2005 9:00 pm

Salival wrote:
ARIZONA REDNOSE wrote:this is my pup and im trying to find out what could be wrong short of having to pay 5-600 in vet bills , not all of us have money just to walk into a vet office and say here you go.

Acutally a checkup by a vet is generally about $35 dollars. After that they tell you what is wrong and then tell you your options. A parvo test is about another $25-$40. Most vets are willing to work with you if there is something very serious wrong and you may need help paying them all of it up front.

thanks salival ill call the same vet i took my last apbt to , hopefully he will remember i spent over 500.00 on my last visit, and is willing to work with me as i can pay in payments , that only reason i was able to spend that kind of money last time was because i did not have 2 brand new cars or a morgage payment , i will continue to force feed until i am able to go to see the vet, hopefully no one at work calls in sick so i can take her first thing in the morning .
when my last pit had a cut tendon no one was willing to work with me ,some people were even saying just dump him in the alley and let him go, but that was not an option for me . thank you for your post

Peerless
Matured Bully

Postby Peerless » Mon May 09, 2005 8:44 am

ARIZONA REDNOSE wrote:ALRIGHT I KNOW TAKE HER TO THE VET !
LETS GET OFF OF THAT !!
she is 7 weeks ,getting very skinny and not eating , i have been force feeding pydialite and baby food , she does have anti parvo shots , has not been outside with other dogs has been segrigated scince day 1 .
she did have a hearty appitite 3 days ago but scine then she does not want to eat , no blood in stool as of yet , my guess is parvo , that is why she is being forced to eat and drink , any ideas ??? this is NOT an agressive post if you do not have any positive comments to make keep your thoughts to yourself and do not post here ,this is my pup and im trying to find out what could be wrong short of having to pay 5-600 in vet bills , not all of us have money just to walk into a vet office and say here you go. POSITIVE COMMENTS ONLY . IM NOT LOOKING FOR ANY CONFRINTATIONS HERE JUST PLAIN OL HELP BY KNOWLEGEABLE DOG OWNERS OR SHELTER WORKERS.

Peerless had parvo about a month and a half ago and the vet said that if we haven’t brought him in as soon as we did he would have died. They explained that timing was very important because dehydration causes the dogs condition to worsen more rapidly. Please let us know what the vet says. Just a couple of things that might help you know if it's Parvo; 1. is she puking and having diarrhea. 2. Do you smell a foul odor coming off your dog. 3. is the diarrhea yellow and the foul oder very strong.
If so you need to get your dog to the vet ASAP. Worry about the money later or you may lose your dog. I wish you the best and please keep me posted on how she is. Peerless was in the 24hr vet for 5 days before he got better. Hopefully you caught it early enough. :pray

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon May 09, 2005 9:50 am

at the very least, the vet could give the dog some subcutaneous fluids to keep the pup from getting severely dehydrated if it won't eat or drink on its own. parvo or no parvo, dehydration can get pretty serious pretty fast, especially in a 7-week-old pup.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Mon May 09, 2005 10:37 am

Just a sidenote about the babyfood: some babyfood includes onion powder and onions are toxic to dogs. Normally it wouldn't be a huge deal, but with a sick puppy it's likely to have more of an effect.

ARIZONA REDNOSE

Postby ARIZONA REDNOSE » Mon May 09, 2005 6:49 pm

well the pup will drink on her own but she will vomit it up about 1 min later , i'v talked to a few vets & i told them money is an issue 200-250 down , none of them work on a payment basis ,even if i came up with the 200 or 250 they wont finance the rest .
i told them i was force feeding liquids and baby food , they said thats all i can do short of going to the vet, force feed & wait to see if she pulls through , i have done this same routine with one of my previous dogs , she got better in a week . i also told of the shots that were given , then they said "corona virus " does the samething to a dog , with the same symptoms, treated in the same way ,the virus is just that "a virus" that attacks parts of the intestinse causing the dog to not eat or want to drink water,once the dog starts vomiting and waterey stool ,the dog gets dehydrated ,and chocolate starts shutting down causing death .
but im sure everyone knew this , i just have to keep doing what im doing , she is very strong spirited .

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Mon May 09, 2005 6:59 pm

Try and get some sugar in her to boost her up a little. Plain vanilla icecream, karo syrup, maple syrup. If she won't lick it up rub some syrup inside her lips.

Also be careful not to make her aspirate while force feeding liquids. A good way to make sure you don't is to make ice cubes out of pedialyte or gatorade and them crush them up or make ships out of them and put them in the puppies mouth to dissovle on their own. Make sure you don't do it too quickly though so her little mouth doesn't freeze.

Foods try using some baby rice - that instant stuff but rather than using water or milk(goats milk preferably) use the pedialyte or gatorade, two birds with one stone. The rice is also easier to get into the mouth and makes it harder for them to spit it out, making them swallow at least some of it.

ARIZONA REDNOSE

Postby ARIZONA REDNOSE » Tue May 10, 2005 5:28 pm

found a vet today , that sold me 3 usp saline bags + hardware ,and something calld amoxicillin ,showed me how to do everything .
she has scine turned worse not walking , just laying there moaning, my little white pup ,my little baby. waiting game.................

mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypitmika » Tue May 10, 2005 6:17 pm

I hate to say it, but if she's getting worse, why let her suffer? She should really be seen by a professional. It just doesn't seem humane to let her suffer or deteriorate like that. Amoxicillin is an anti-biotic. If you don't know what you're doing, you could be hurting her more than helping her. I'd hate to be in your situation and I'm in now way being critical. It hurts my heart to think that poor baby.

RescueRules

Postby RescueRules » Tue May 10, 2005 6:46 pm

ARIZONA REDNOSE wrote:
Salival wrote:
ARIZONA REDNOSE wrote:i spent over 500.00 on my last visit, and is willing to work with me as i can pay in payments , that only reason i was able to spend that kind of money last time was because i did not have 2 brand new cars or a morgage payment

I am sickened by what I'm reading here...you had no right to get another pup if you're not in a position to provide the necessities ...what happens if the others fall ill and need care...and yes vet care is a necessity...maybe having 2 brand new cars is important to you but I'd rather drive an old beater any day and provide humane and proper care for my dogs. To sit here and know that you're pup is suffering and is probably dieing is terribly upsetting.

ARIZONA REDNOSE

Postby ARIZONA REDNOSE » Tue May 10, 2005 7:20 pm

what do you people think i picked this stuff out of a book?
im doing the same as a vet , sorry to say but some of you people are just crazy , do you think i would honestly make a pup suffer intentionally?
what do you crazy people think i just started shooting her up with all kinds of meds , yeah i took her to the vet a holes , here or there it makes no difference , what do you think they put some fizzle magic powder in the fizzle meds ???? what do you think some of you are fizzle perfect , yeah i have a nice house & f yeah i have 2 cars 2004 2005 paid 21,000 19,000 so fizzle what , iv done my sare of vet bills , some of you people think that a dog can only be saved by a vet? you are crazy , even the vet lady said im doing all i am suppose to do,other then bring her to see the vet,,,
what are they gonna say, " yup she has parvo " let us give her an iv and some meds and lets see what happens , oh chocolate sorry she died last night , oh and by the way that'll be 400.00 cash or charge ??
and for those of you who dont know , i have 4 AMERICAN PITBULL TERRIERS 3 FEMALES , 1 & MALE , and what do you think all the stuff i got was free???
so you 'd rather drive a beater huh, ok you can be honorable all you want ,thats you , iv been down the beater path f that .
some of you people are probably single with no one to support but yourself and dog thats why some of you talk so much chocolate.
did you notice some of the smarter people stayed away from the conversation ?? i guess some of you cant frigging read ???
you turned this chocolate into something i didnt want it to be , so give it your best shot.

ARIZONA REDNOSE

Postby ARIZONA REDNOSE » Tue May 10, 2005 7:22 pm

oh yeah befor i gave her the amoxi i looked it up on the web , thanks for trying , anything else ??

Return to “Health Issues”