7 WEEK OLD PUP DEHYDRATED NOT EATING.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
hookilau

Postby hookilau » Wed May 11, 2005 12:44 am

not to throw gasoline on the flames but, does your vet offer Care Credit? I know you've taken your pup to the vet but sounds like she needs hospitalization rather than out patient care.

not to knock the vet who gave you the fluids and ab's but she did the best she could given the circumstances (monetary limitations) and all you and she can do is hope for the best. This is not to be construed as the 'ideal' way to treat such a sick pup, rather a 'make do' solution at best.

To give your pup the best chance possible, she'll need hospitilzation.

Since you must (whatever your reasons are) treat her at home, I suggest you get a rectal thermometer and take her temp.

Give the subQ fluids (as I'm assuming was prescibed by the doctor) warmed, if her temp is below 99, please don't use the microwave, rather, soak the bag/bottle in hot running water and do test it on your wrist before you administer them.

All you can do is offer a small measure of supportive care since hospitalization is not an option. Keep her warm and hydrated as best as you can and hope for the best. If she's not vomitting, feed a high calorie diet (syringed if you must but not if the pup is so lethargic that it can't swallow). There are other drugs that can be given to decrease the instances of blow out diarrhea like Thorazine, however I'm not sure it's indicated in your pup's case. Did they do a parvo antigen test on her?

Even under the best circumstances a pup can easily succomb to parvo although septiserum (administered intravenously) can often help, unfortunately, this can only be done at a veterinary hospital.

Amoxi is the drug of choice generally for an upper respiratory infection but can't hurt your pup, so do give it. If she were hospitalized, she'd be getting intravenous ab's that would increase her chances somewhat.

Does she have bloody diarrhea and vomiting?...if so, again, if she were hospitalized, intravenous drugs would bypass her digestive system and go directly into her bloodstream where they may be absorbed more efficiently if she's vomiting. Unfortunately, I know you've heard it lots already, but the best supportive care can only be given in a veterinary setting in your pup's case.

I do hope you give us an update and let us know how she's doing. You must understand that the concern voiced here is due to our love of man's best friend and not meant to knock you. Many people here are heavily involved in rescues and have gone to much further lengths when faced with dire circumstances like yours so empathy is scarce.

Hoping all goes well with your pup.....

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Wed May 11, 2005 1:10 pm

hookilau...you're so cool... :thumbsup:

mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypitmika » Wed May 11, 2005 3:47 pm

Excellent post hookilau! My adrenaline was rushing as I was reading the responses posted after my last post. By the time I finished reading yours, I was clamed down again.

Arizona - by posting, you're asking for advice and opinions. I understand that the responses you have gotten haven't been what you want to hear, but it's what the members of this forum are offering. The members of this board are caring and a majority of us feel we have a moral obligation to the animals that we share our lives with. Part of that obligation is providing propper health care. In my opinion, it's an obligation that you take on when you become a pet owner. You must care, or you wouldn't be doing anything at all. It just disheatens me to hear that it's a monetary issue. For every excuse that's made, there's an option that will provide that poor puppy with the care that he deserves - and that you, as his owner - are obligated to provide.

Some people have the know-how and courage to care for their animals on their own, outside of professional veterinary care. Although I have no qualms about that, I am not one of those people, so it may be difficult for me to understand exactly where you're coming from.

I do hope that you at least update us on how the pup is doing. And please, for the sake of that dog's life, look into your options - contact the breeder, take her to the vet, etc. There's been a lot of great advice given, even with your animosity, so please use it.

mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypitmika » Wed May 11, 2005 3:48 pm

By the time I finished reading yours, I was calmed down again.

Pardon the dylsexic errors...

DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby DamnWRX » Wed May 11, 2005 6:00 pm

Best drama i've evar read, is this coming out in theatre soon? lol

Tasha

Postby Tasha » Wed May 11, 2005 6:11 pm

DamnWRX wrote:Best drama i've evar read, is this coming out in theatre soon? lol

Stick around...there is something new everyday on PBF! :tongue: (couldnt help myself but u all know i LOVE this forum and have really learned a lot!!!)

P.S. Hope the pup is doing a little better. Please keep us updated, we all really do care!

:hug:

DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby DamnWRX » Wed May 11, 2005 6:16 pm

:yipee: Rated R......

Regards to the pup...Hope, all is well

ARIZONA REDNOSE

Postby ARIZONA REDNOSE » Wed May 11, 2005 10:18 pm

she still has alot of life left in her , befor i had to actually force her to drink, now i just put the syringe infront of her mouth and she just drinks it , hopefully that will be a sign ,v wagged her tail today for the first time scince she stopped eating .
thanks for the advice i will take what is useful.
i know i gave off the impression that i didnt want the vet to take care of her but the funds are not there at this time so i did the only thing i could do was try to save her on my own. yeah i have nice cars and a nice house , but i pay alot of money for them , this house is basically just where i stay at ,you know like a motel you pay but never own it , and no its not a rental home or lease ,its just a figure of speech .
sorry if i offended anyone in the way i handled the situation but i had no other option , so i did what i thought was best for my pup at this present time , if she dies she dies here in my arms.

thats it for me on this subject

hookilau

Postby hookilau » Wed May 11, 2005 11:21 pm

duh, I meant Thorazine to treat vomiting not diarrhea. :oops: though as I said, may be contraindicated (if pet is already lethargic.)..I beleive it's Centrine that's used to stop up the works if treating diarrhea but again, may be contraindicated for a parvo positive pup.

Ariz, glad to hear your pup seems to be doing better. What did you name her/him?

You all are a wonderful concerned bunch and I'm sure everyone realizes that having pets are a luxury and boy does it ever suck when it goes wrong, but the lure of things going right can often be more temptation than a person can handle. With 7 pets in my household, ask me how I know! :))

We're all wishing your pup well Ariz and look forward to updates when you can.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Wed May 11, 2005 11:22 pm

I hope it is a good sign, Mike. Please keep us posted on the little one's progress.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:44 pm

Good luck Mike. Since the diagnosis is out,what would a couple of nights boarding run you? My experience is 15.00 a day tops. With the IV it should still come out to be an insignificant amount of money. Even if things are tight anyone can afford 50-100 bucks. Can you tell your vet your budget and see what that will get you? Just the monitoring alone would be worth spending the price of a tank of gas. You can tell them what you want done and not leave it to be carte blanch on your credit card. I often go into my vet and place an order instead of a daignosis, ask what it will run me, and go from there. if its parvo and they are just keeping an eye then there is really nothing expensive they can hit you with.

HartagoldAST

Postby HartagoldAST » Wed May 11, 2005 11:46 pm

RescueRules wrote:Have you called the breeder?...if they are not a BYB and reputable I'm sure they would like the opportunity to take the pup back and look after it themselves...

Definitely..... in fact last week, a pet pup I GAVE to my best friend was sick- she called me and i told her to take him to the emergency clinic right away based on his symptoms.... to make a long story short, 2 days later (many trips to regular vet/e-clinic trying to decide what the problem was), he had an intestinal blockage.

She called and said they told her up to $1800 for the surgery (after she had already spent about $500 at the e-clinic and another $500 at her vet)- she said her roommate would give her the money when he got home in a few days (he makes big $, does some sort of work w/the army over in Iraq, rebuilding or something), but they needed an $800 deposit before they'd do the surgery- and she only had $300 left in her bank acct, and the other bills had maxed out her credit card.

Now I'm about as broke as they come, esp since I've been out of work for almost 2 mo now, with the surgery & stuff... but I wasn't about to let anything happen to that dog- (even if he is the ugliest one I've ever produced lol- Oscar)- so I got a credit increase on one of my cards, and called and gave them the number to cover the rest of the deposit ($500). She'll pay me back as soon as she can- and Oscar is ok, which is the important thing.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Thu May 12, 2005 12:24 am

That's awesome H.A.G, I know you have had a run of it. Just out of curiosity, what caused the blockage?

HartagoldAST

Postby HartagoldAST » Thu May 12, 2005 1:26 am

moto1320 wrote:That's awesome H.A.G, I know you have had a run of it. Just out of curiosity, what caused the blockage?

COW HOOVES.

For some reason, my friend thought that I gave them to my dogs- so she thought it was ok for them. I quit giving them to my dogs about 13 years ago- after a dog show vendor told me he quit carrying them because he knew of several dogs that died from perforated intestines- they break off sharp, triangle shaped pieces that can slice the intestines open. So I guess it was good that it was "only" a blockage and not shredded intestines- he was lucky and didn't have to have any intestine removed, like sometimes happens with a blockage.

:sad:

RescueRules

Postby RescueRules » Thu May 12, 2005 9:15 am

HartagoldAST wrote:
RescueRules wrote:Have you called the breeder?...if they are not a BYB and reputable I'm sure they would like the opportunity to take the pup back and look after it themselves...

Definitely..... in fact last week, a pet pup I GAVE to my best friend was sick- she called me and i told her to take him to the emergency clinic right away based on his symptoms.... to make a long story short, 2 days later (many trips to regular vet/e-clinic trying to decide what the problem was), he had an intestinal blockage.

She called and said they told her up to $1800 for the surgery (after she had already spent about $500 at the e-clinic and another $500 at her vet)- she said her roommate would give her the money when he got home in a few days (he makes big $, does some sort of work w/the army over in Iraq, rebuilding or something), but they needed an $800 deposit before they'd do the surgery- and she only had $300 left in her bank acct, and the other bills had maxed out her credit card.

Now I'm about as broke as they come, esp since I've been out of work for almost 2 mo now, with the surgery & stuff... but I wasn't about to let anything happen to that dog- (even if he is the ugliest one I've ever produced lol- Oscar)- so I got a credit increase on one of my cards, and called and gave them the number to cover the rest of the deposit ($500). She'll pay me back as soon as she can- and Oscar is ok, which is the important thing.

The Op never answered the question about whether or not he had contacted the breeder and it was asked several times. I think the non-answer speaks for itself.

Return to “Health Issues”