Sensative Stomach? Need suggestions...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Sensative Stomach? Need suggestions...

Postby Mos Jeff » Mon May 09, 2005 6:52 am

I think my 8 month old may possibly have a sensative stomach. Here's a little background on his eating situation....

He was started on Purina, until I realized this was crap and moved him on Canidae. He's been on this for, I'd say, about a month and a half. He seems to enjoy it and was doing fine on it. Now, all of a sudden, for about the past 2 weeks he's had loose stools. It's not quite diarreha, but just loose. This doesn't happen everytime he goes, and it's mainly in the mornings. His behavior is otherwise completely normal and he still has an appetite, so do you all think that this could possibly just be that he has a sensative stomach and Canidae doesn't agree with it? If so, what alternate brand should I consider switching him to with his situation? Thanks for any input.

-Jeff-

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Mon May 09, 2005 2:41 pm

nobody?

dra6onpit
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dra6onpit » Mon May 09, 2005 6:19 pm

It didn't take me long at all to realize that by forum standards I feed my dogs the equivalent of McDonalds however I had the same problem that you were having with my boy Teddy. His vet recommended dry Iams and just a little bit of Nature's Recipe Easy-to-Digest formula

It worked like a charm. We had tried many different things before finding the right combination. Hope it works for you too!

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon May 09, 2005 11:31 pm

dra6onpit wrote:It didn't take me long at all to realize that by forum standards I feed my dogs the equivalent of McDonalds however I had the same problem that you were having with my boy Teddy. His vet recommended dry Iams and just a little bit of Nature's Recipe Easy-to-Digest formula

It worked like a charm. We had tried many different things before finding the right combination. Hope it works for you too!

No diplomacy here. Iams is garbage. Nature's Recipe is right down there with it.

Your pup could be going through a phaze. I know some dogs go through periods where their stools are a little loose. Add some plain yogurt to his food, see if it helps with his gut flora. Intolerance can also be gas, vomiting, and itching. Loose stools aren't always a sign of something wrong unless they don't go away. If they last for more than a few days, or turn to diarrhea, then you need to look at the possiblity of changing his food.

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 12:31 am

barbponys wrote:
dra6onpit wrote:It didn't take me long at all to realize that by forum standards I feed my dogs the equivalent of McDonalds however I had the same problem that you were having with my boy Teddy. His vet recommended dry Iams and just a little bit of Nature's Recipe Easy-to-Digest formula

No diplomacy here. Iams is garbage. Nature's Recipe is right down there with it.

Your pup could be going through a phaze. I know some dogs go through periods where their stools are a little loose. Add some plain yogurt to his food, see if it helps with his gut flora. Intolerance can also be gas, vomiting, and itching. Loose stools aren't always a sign of something wrong unless they don't go away. If they last for more than a few days, or turn to diarrhea, then you need to look at the possiblity of changing his food.

Well Like I said, for the first month or so his stools were fine on Canidae. However, the loose stools have definitely been more then a few days. What I seemed to have noticed is that his loose stools usually occur in the morning. After dinner, his stools seem pretty normal, but when he first wakes up, before he even eats, he has a lot of loose stools. I also noticed that a lot of the times when he starts to "go" the stools start out normal but end loose, if that makes sense, so I dunno if this is a phase. I hope it is, bc Canidae seemed to be working well. So you said just add some plain yogurt? If this continues, what are some suggestions on other good foods that may fit his stomach? Thanks for the help.

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 10:58 am

Ok this morning he had full diarreha, can someone PLEASE post suggestions. I obviously need to switch to a different food, and I am new to this, so I am unsure as to what would be good for his stomach. I see this thread has been viewed a bunch of times, but no ones responding.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 10, 2005 11:17 am

If you can find them these are three really good foods:

Timberwolf organics www.timberwolforganics.com
Nature's Variety www.naturesvariety.com
Merrick www.merrickpetcare.com

You can go to those sites and find retailers in your area. Don't do a gradual switch, choose one and just feed it.

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 11:19 am

barbponys wrote:If you can find them these are three really good foods:

Timberwolf organics www.timberwolforganics.com
Nature's Variety www.naturesvariety.com
Merrick www.merrickpetcare.com

You can go to those sites and find retailers in your area. Don't do a gradual switch, choose one and just feed it.

Thank you so much for actually responding to me and helping out...about the switch though, I thought your supposed to gradually mix the new food in with the old food?

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 11:25 am

Well it seems that the only food that any stores near me have is Merrick. Is there a specific type I should look for? What do you think the reason is that Canidae didnt sit well in his stomach? Thanks again.

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 11:28 am

Oh, and what about Wellness? I've seen people mention that brand in here.

Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Kara » Tue May 10, 2005 11:33 am

I had a similar problem with my dog. She was on Eukanuba as a pup...did terrible on it..and I also realized what crap it was. I switched her over to Canidae at about 6-8 months old ( cant remember exactly) and she did OK on the Canidae. She always had bad gas though, and although her stoll wasnt really loose, it was never firm.
Well about 2 months ago she just plain stopped eating it. She had bad diarhea, terrible gas, and she farted out blood ( I know...gross eh? I think it was just becuase she was crapping soooo much)
Anyhow, I switched her to Wellness Lamb and Rice and she loves it..is doing very well on it, and has hard stools and no gas anymore.
Only problem with it is the price...it is very pricey. Much more so then Canidae. But she really is doing well on it.

Good luck,

Kara

Oh...and in my situation b/c her gas and poop was so bad I switched her immediatly, not slowly over a week. The main reason for doing that is that its easier on their stomach. Well, hers was so upset that I figured this way would be easier on her... and she had no problems.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 10, 2005 11:36 am

Merrick is better than Wellness. I would probably go with the Cowboy Cookout or Wilderness blend. He may have trouble with poultry. Add warm water and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Your guy already has digestive upset, if he's not tolerating the Canidae what's the point in mixing? He'll probably firm up on the Merrick, add the plain yogurt to make sure his flora is in good shape. Give him a tablespoon per meal. There's any number of reasons he could be having trouble with the Canidea, they are as individual as we are.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 10, 2005 11:38 am

You will pay about the same for Merrick as you would the Wellness. I would try the Merrick first. It's a better quality product.

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 11:50 am

barbponys wrote:You will pay about the same for Merrick as you would the Wellness. I would try the Merrick first. It's a better quality product.

Yea I checked Merrick's website and the cost for a 5 lb bag is just about as much as I pay for a 10 lb bag of Canidae

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 11:51 am

Kara wrote:I had a similar problem with my dog. She was on Eukanuba as a pup...did terrible on it..and I also realized what crap it was. I switched her over to Canidae at about 6-8 months old ( cant remember exactly) and she did OK on the Canidae. She always had bad gas though, and although her stoll wasnt really loose, it was never firm.
Well about 2 months ago she just plain stopped eating it. She had bad diarhea, terrible gas, and she farted out blood ( I know...gross eh? I think it was just becuase she was crapping soooo much)
Anyhow, I switched her to Wellness Lamb and Rice and she loves it..is doing very well on it, and has hard stools and no gas anymore.
Only problem with it is the price...it is very pricey. Much more so then Canidae. But she really is doing well on it.

Good luck,

Kara

Oh...and in my situation b/c her gas and poop was so bad I switched her immediatly, not slowly over a week. The main reason for doing that is that its easier on their stomach. Well, hers was so upset that I figured this way would be easier on her... and she had no problems.

Yea his stools are now starting to have small traces of blood in them, I'm guessing bc he is crapping so much also.

Return to “Health Issues”