Sensative Stomach? Need suggestions...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 11:56 am

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 10, 2005 12:02 pm

Mos Jeff wrote:
barbponys wrote:You will pay about the same for Merrick as you would the Wellness. I would try the Merrick first. It's a better quality product.

Yea I checked Merrick's website and the cost for a 5 lb bag is just about as much as I pay for a 10 lb bag of Canidae

You will feed a bit less though. So the cost per bag isn't as bad as it seems.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 10, 2005 12:03 pm

Mos Jeff wrote:kara, is this what you feed?
http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/wesuladrydog.html

Yes, that's the lamb formula.

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 12:07 pm

OK thanks to both of you for helping me out, as I was totally at a loss. I think I am going to try the Wellness first only bc the store that carries Merrick is a good drive away and is actually more pricey then Wellness, from what I just compared online. If Wellness doesnt seem to show improvement then I will try Merrick. In terms of yogurt, is there a specific type to look for? And is the lamb formula the best type of Wellness to feed to a puppy? thanks again.

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 12:10 pm

Just checked though, only thing that concerns me is that I had tried the Solid Gold lamb formula with him before Canidae and he continuously threw it up, should I expect the same with the Wellness lamb?

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 10, 2005 12:11 pm

If you can find organic plain yogurt it's going to be better than a big name brand. It will have a ton less sugar.

The Wellness lamb is fine to feed a young dog. At 8 months he's ready for adult food anyway. The lamb seems to be the least gassy formula for some reason so he should do fine on it.

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 12:14 pm

barbponys wrote:If you can find organic plain yogurt it's going to be better than a big name brand. It will have a ton less sugar.

The Wellness lamb is fine to feed a young dog. At 8 months he's ready for adult food anyway. The lamb seems to be the least gassy formula for some reason so he should do fine on it.

Even though he couldnt keep the Solid Gold lamb formula down?

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 10, 2005 12:19 pm

The formulas are totally different. It probably wasn't the lamb he had an issue with. 99% of the time it's the grains that dogs can't tolerate. It's not that common for them to have meat issues.

Mos Jeff
Newborn Bully

Postby Mos Jeff » Tue May 10, 2005 12:21 pm

barbponys wrote:The formulas are totally different. It probably wasn't the lamb he had an issue with. 99% of the time it's the grains that dogs can't tolerate. It's not that common for them to have meat issues.

OK then I'll give it a try, thank you so much :))

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 10, 2005 12:28 pm

:thumbsup: You're welcome.

Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Kara » Tue May 10, 2005 4:03 pm

Good luck, let us know how it goes! Like I said, I noticed a complete change with Jada almost right away when I switched her to the Wellness. I chose the lamb and rice mostly because Jada's issue is with chicken so I needed something without chicken in it.
The Lamb and rice also has glucosamine in it, which is another reason, although I also supplement her diet with Syn-Flex which is Glucosamine plus a bunch of other good stuff. Main reason is because she is so flippin big, and I allready had one dog with HD, I'd like to do as much as possible to minimize the chancesof Jada developing it as well.

Anyhow...good luck, and keep us posyed.

Now...question to barbponys... can you tell me what the difference between Merrick and Wellness is? Also, how much do you feed a 100 lb dog of the Merrick a day? How much pricier is it then Wellness? Also...do you know if its avail. in Canada?

Thx

Kara

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue May 10, 2005 5:31 pm

Kara wrote:Good luck, let us know how it goes! Like I said, I noticed a complete change with Jada almost right away when I switched her to the Wellness. I chose the lamb and rice mostly because Jada's issue is with chicken so I needed something without chicken in it.
The Lamb and rice also has glucosamine in it, which is another reason, although I also supplement her diet with Syn-Flex which is Glucosamine plus a bunch of other good stuff. Main reason is because she is so flippin big, and I allready had one dog with HD, I'd like to do as much as possible to minimize the chancesof Jada developing it as well.

Anyhow...good luck, and keep us posyed.

Now...question to barbponys... can you tell me what the difference between Merrick and Wellness is? Also, how much do you feed a 100 lb dog of the Merrick a day? How much pricier is it then Wellness? Also...do you know if its avail. in Canada?

Thx

Kara

The main difference between the Merrick and Wellness is, the Merrick rolls the kibble in dehydrated meat after it'd cooled. It's 50% dehydrated meat......... they also add dehydrated meat in with the kibble. I would expect you to feed that monster of yours 4-5 cups a day. Perhaps less depending on how active she is. Is she done growing? The Cowboy Cookout has the most calories per cup.

gypsydog

Postby gypsydog » Wed May 11, 2005 4:45 pm

This is a bit old but from my experience with Canidae, stay the hell away from that poison.

Pull up any old post on Canidae and you can find what I say every time somebody seems to have a concern over it. To boot their customer service SUCKS!

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:54 pm

Daisy did really badly on Canidae and I switched her back to Wellness. I think I can get Merrick foods now at my local shop so I may try that. I had the same results as you with Canidae, and it wasn't at first. I noticed that you said that there was some blood in stool...not that you shouldn't switch food but just to know what caused the problem....call your vet about a cycle of wormer. Pup may have whipworms.

Return to “Health Issues”