Recomended Flea and Tick Medicine

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Recomended Flea and Tick Medicine

Postby tdm32 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:35 am

Recently my dog has been getting ticks and they started off as just a few here and there but they seem to be getting worse. Last night I found myself spraying him with a flea and tick spray and removing them from his ears where they seem to be hideing most. This was very disgusting!
I'm looking for a proven product (including brand) that has been found to be very effective. When I was at the vet a few weeks ago the they mentioned that flea and tick collars aren't the the best treatment due to a few reasons, one being skin irritation due to the medicine on the collar and I them not really being totally effective. The vetinarian metioned some product to spray around his dog house that would get rid of them, but due to the fact that my dog is not in an enclosed area, but rather a large area of open land I dont know how effective that will work.
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions! :peace: :headbang:
tdm32

Postby Daizy_73 » Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 pm

FRONTLINE!!! Comes in a spray or drops to go between the shoulder baldes. Repel ticks and fleas for 1-3 months!!! I know I sound like a commercial but I have been using the spray for 3 years now and swear by it, and I have 7 dogs!!! You get if from the evt and it is kindof expensive but WELL worth it!!! Good luck!
Daizy_73

Postby barbponys » Thu May 20, 2004 10:46 pm

Frontline works, it's less water soluble so it stays on longer even when they get soaked. The spot on is available over the counter, some feed stores carry it, some pet stores. It isn't cheap, as a general rule. Feed stores are going to be the cheapest source...........IF they carry it. The spray I haven't found over the counter, that will be something you get at your vet.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby abman » Fri May 21, 2004 7:10 pm

I have used frontline with good results. I stay away from anything Hartz, since I have seen so many dogs and cats have reactions to it that required vet care.

I was around beagles growing up since my dad was a hunter. We always had one until I was around 23. My dad would use a product called seven dust on all of our dogs for as long as I can remember and we never once had a reaction to it. We had a few breedings with healthy pups,and almost all of the dogs lived at least 14 years. Just Make sure you get the bag that says its safe for pets.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby elegy » Fri May 21, 2004 9:21 pm

i use advantix.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Bully » Mon May 24, 2004 2:40 pm

elegy wrote:i use advantix.

I also use that, but Frontline is better? Anyone know how good it holds up compare to Advantix?

Anyone know where to get some cheap Advantix? The place I shop at is 888petmeds.com
Bully

Return to Health Issues