Innova kills dogs??????

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Crash

Innova kills dogs??????

Postby Crash » Tue May 10, 2005 7:37 pm

Okay I'm hoping that this post will die pretty quickly. From my recent post asking about Innova, I was told that Innova "kills dogs". I'm not sure, but it seems as if they made a bad batch and it killed a few dogs. I'm hoping that this was an isolated incident and Innova is just as safe if not safer to feed than other top brands out there.

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Tue May 10, 2005 7:48 pm

I don't know what post you're refering to however a few years back Natura had an issue with their plant. The food went out cooked improperly. They switched plants since then and I haven't heard about any problems in the last few years. Again, I'm not sure what post you are refering to but, I wouldn't worry.

Crash

Postby Crash » Tue May 10, 2005 9:49 pm

yea I wasn't worrying. I figured if a food was remotely unsafe that it would have been taken off the shelves a long time ago. I was just asking for a lil bit of clarification on what the story was about Innova killing dogs.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Tue May 10, 2005 9:52 pm

I did an internet search on it, Crash, and nothing came up. I think it may be an exaggerated rumor or leftovers from the past situation that Skoth mentioned.

doberkim

Postby doberkim » Wed May 11, 2005 6:49 pm

perhaps the poster is confusing the food with solid gold or go! natural?

Crash

Postby Crash » Wed May 11, 2005 7:41 pm

Sorry guys.... if anybody is confused with something, its not me!! If you guys want to know why I'm a bit alarmed and surprised... read towards the bottom of the first page of this post

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18739

Thats why I was wondering how safe and well Innova's foods are processed and stored.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:08 pm

It has been a while but no that long. Pat, who we all know and trust had first hand dealings with this so I was deffering to her. I repeat few things I read but I trust Pat and for her to have first hand knowledge of multiple instances of this from her limited area was enough for me and made me wonder how many nationwide.

Among thier problems caused was horrible and chronic runs which my dogs eventually developed on the food. I stopped feeding it by choice for these reasons before I ever heard anything bad about the food. Later I found out that this was how some of the later fatal cases started. What bothers me is that when it started happening Innova started spitting out hush money. To have a Corp. do this off the jump is an immediate admission of guilt and they didn't change the formula....and I have never heard anything about just a "bad batch".

It may be fine and it sucks that I will never be able to trust the food again personally because before things took a bad turn Daisy looked better than any other food she has been on hands down. It is a notably oily food which she needs, as dry skin was and is often an issue. I supplement the difference but it was nice to feel I really had a kibble I could plop down and not have to add a thing. Back when I fed it Innova was usually touted as one of the top few foods on the market. You rarely hear it recommended by anyone anymore anywhere. I don't know why outside of my own .02 but one would assume that more than one person has had complications for it to suddenly fall off the map from the limelight.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed May 11, 2005 11:49 pm

moto1320 wrote:It has been a while but no that long. Pat, who we all know and trust had first hand dealings with this so I was deffering to her. I repeat few things I read but I trust Pat and for her to have first hand knowledge of multiple instances of this from her limited area was enough for me and made me wonder how many nationwide.

Among thier problems caused was horrible and chronic runs which my dogs eventually developed on the food. I stopped feeding it by choice for these reasons before I ever heard anything bad about the food. Later I found out that this was how some of the later fatal cases started. What bothers me is that when it started happening Innova started spitting out hush money. To have a Corp. do this off the jump is an immediate admission of guilt and they didn't change the formula....and I have never heard anything about just a "bad batch".

It may be fine and it sucks that I will never be able to trust the food again personally because before things took a bad turn Daisy looked better than any other food she has been on hands down. It is a notably oily food which she needs, as dry skin was and is often an issue. I supplement the difference but it was nice to feel I really had a kibble I could plop down and not have to add a thing. Back when I fed it Innova was usually touted as one of the top few foods on the market. You rarely hear it recommended by anyone anymore anywhere. I don't know why outside of my own .02 but one would assume that more than one person has had complications for it to suddenly fall off the map from the limelight.

Thank you Moto.

It's very hard to find around here anymore. All the stores that used to carry it have dropped it. Yes the food killed dogs and cats. Yes the company paid people off or bought them new animals. They did NOT, however, admit to the food being the cause. And they did NOT change the formula.

I have no idea what's happened since they built their own manufacturing plant. THAT in and of itself is disturbing. They claim to be a small family oriented company. That plant cost them hunderds and hundreds of millions to build. I don't know very many small companies that have that kind of money............. I don't trust big money. And there's no way I would ever trust Natura.

Crash

Postby Crash » Thu May 12, 2005 7:13 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply. It is probably nothing to worry about and if it was, hopefully it has been fixed. Its nice to be informed of things like this. Thank you. Wish Nutura was a smaller company so I could speak to the owner or somebody and ask about this, but then again I wouldnt expect them to be compeletey honest with me.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Thu May 12, 2005 9:40 pm

There are a lot of high quality kibbles out there these days. Wellness, Canidae, Innova, CA Natural, Merrick, Timberwolf, to name a few. Each dog will do differently, they are individuals. My dog did not do well on Wellness, yet I still feel it's a good food. I've fed her Innova mixed with CA Natural for over 2 years now and she does great on it. For the past year, I've fed half raw half kibble, and that has worked even better.

I am aware that my dog could develop problems on Innova or on any food, so if she was having loose stools or bad signs, I'd change her food. I do try to rotate dry food when I can, from the chicken to the lamb, and between different brands. Read the labels, pick a good food and try it, if it does not work for your dog, try a different one. I'd love to try Timberwolf, I hear it's top notch, and I just found Merrick in my area so I'm going to try that one.... Good luck, just don't be afraid to try different foods and rotate them.

Return to “Health Issues”