size issues PLEASE READ!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
diesel

size issues PLEASE READ!

Postby diesel » Wed May 11, 2005 7:14 pm

Okay now you all have probaly seen this before but i have not gotten a clear answer i have checked apbtconformationsite.com/apbt_size.htm but the measurments seem very small so here are my dog "deminsions" he is 6 monthes old and only 18" high from the base of his foot to the top of his shoulder and 20" long from the butox to the chest is this a little small? and do you think he will get any bigger?
Thank you :thumbsup:

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed May 11, 2005 7:31 pm

He sounds perfect to me.

Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Motodiva » Wed May 11, 2005 7:37 pm

I think he sounds fine. How much does he weigh? You can stand on a scale and weigh yourself, then pick him up and weigh you both together. Subtract your weight from the combined weight and you can get a good idea of weight. I use this to check on my dogs, but not for medications.

He may actually be a little big, but pitbulls are being bred large these days and proportional measurements are more important than actual size. Officially, that's what they say. They also say that a pit should weigh between 35-55 pounds. So, while they size is not the key component, they do put recommendations on size and limit proportions.

I can only assume that you plan on showing him or something like that. Most other people are not too concerned about how their dog stands up. If that is the case, it will depend a lot on the registry (AKC, UKC, ADBA) as to how well your dog will be judged. If this is the case, if you give a little more info there are people here who can help you to understand the conformation world, depending on the registry.

I know it's complicated, and I don't show, so I really only understand the tip of the iceberg. Hang in there, it will makje sense eventually.

Sanya

P.S. Some pictures would help!! :))

diesel

Postby diesel » Wed May 11, 2005 7:58 pm

hey thanks he wieghs 33lbs but i dont have a way to put pics on the web oh by the way he is by no strech of the imaginatoin a show dog he's kind of ugly lol

Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Motodiva » Wed May 11, 2005 8:09 pm

he is by no strech of the imaginatoin a show dog he's kind of ugly

I'm not buying it! I've never seen an ugly Bully!! I hope you can get some pics up one day. I look forward to seeing him.

His weight sounds about right. I'm sure he's fine. My girl was 35 pounds at 6 months and is about 47 now, at over a year and a half. I expect her to continue to fill out for another 6-12 months. She seemed very scrawny until over a year old.

Sanya

diesel

Postby diesel » Wed May 11, 2005 8:40 pm

Okay few :hero: his size had me scared for some reason i thought they mature (get to be full size) at 6 monthes to a year

diesel

Postby diesel » Wed May 11, 2005 8:40 pm

okay that was the wrong emoticon

loon123

Postby loon123 » Wed May 11, 2005 8:45 pm

Be happy he's not bigger! My big boy just had a case of zoomies and did a couple of fly-by playbites...I felt like :bully:
Seriously, nothing at all wrong with the smaller pits. Lots of folks prefer them...they are actually closer to what the pitbull was intended to be. I was at a show a couple weeks ago, and there were quite a few smaller ones. They were all beautiful.

dr961
Super Bully

Re: size issues PLEASE READ!

Postby dr961 » Wed May 11, 2005 9:45 pm

diesel wrote:... the measurments seem very small so here are my dog "deminsions" he is 6 monthes old and only 18" high from the base of his foot to the top of his shoulder and 20" long from the butox to the chest is this a little small? and do you think he will get any bigger?
Thank you :thumbsup:

***I'd think your dog will get a bit larger. Most males grow until they are at least a year old, and fill out more after that for another year or so. But don't worry if your dog doesn't end up a big honking monster--he will be healthier and more athletic if he isn't huge.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Thu May 12, 2005 12:27 am

barbponys wrote:He sounds perfect to me.

Amen, good to hear about a pitbill beaing pitbull size for a change, they are getting rare. Even the accepted standard leanstoward the high side for dogs of good breeding these days.

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Thu May 12, 2005 12:31 am

Motodiva wrote:I'm not buying it! I've never seen an ugly Bully!

You haven't seen Marz! lol

DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby DamnWRX » Thu May 12, 2005 11:00 am

Ok, last week went to the vet, juz for check up for those WELTS on his skin anyway'z, he got weighted for 78.6# 23'tall @ 10 months old just turned ten months last week....So, is he going to be a big focker or is he a big focker...... hope he'd stop growing. Oh, that avatar is when he was 8 mo. So, wat ya think! 8l

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Thu May 12, 2005 4:28 pm

He's ginormous dude.... or really fat! lol

DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby DamnWRX » Thu May 12, 2005 4:53 pm

No! He is not fat, he's actually very fit and getting defined (with muscularity) Anyway'z, one of the doctor's aid said he's going to gain another 30#, is that true or bandini.....

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Thu May 12, 2005 6:08 pm

Who knows..... my male is 95 pounds lean. I can't remember exactly what he weighed around your dogs age but I can't necessarily see him gaining another 30 pounds. That 's ALOT. I bet he will be the size of my boy....

Return to “Health Issues”