Itchy n Scratchy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Awesome_PIT

Itchy n Scratchy

Postby Awesome_PIT » Thu May 12, 2005 8:10 pm

Champs allergies are pretty bad right now and he is really itching bad. I just bought some Flax oil so I will start him on that tonite or tomorow. He eats wellness Fish and Sweet Potatoe. WHat else can I use to help his itching now. Benedryl doesnt seem to help at all, is there a cream or soemthing else I can try he is starting to scratch almost till he bleeds.

pitbullmom

Postby pitbullmom » Fri May 13, 2005 1:17 pm

do you think it's the food? I swear - none of my kids did good on that formula...

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Fri May 13, 2005 1:22 pm

I just wrote this in another forum about food allergies:

Nutro is better than the normal junk advertised but in my opinion it is lower quality than Natural Balance. The con about Natural Balance is the Omega 3:6 ratio is off so you have to suppliment aditional Omega 3's.

I also recommend contacting Martin Lieberman @ www.martinsk9formula.com His Energol and Antioxidant formulas are fantastic and cheap! MUCH cheaper than Missing Link and much better quality. You also might want to look into purchasing the probiotic that he offers which again is cheap and great quality.

As for common foods found in the typical stores here are my suggestions(other than the Natural Balance)

Wellness
Canidae
Solid Gold
Pinnical
Blue Buffalo
Timberwolf Organics
Innova

I will also suggest finding 2 or 3 of those foods and rotating the bags. After one bag is gone switch to the next, etc... This helps to clean out the system of any build up and also it will help to give sufficent nutrients if one food is lacking in certain things that the other has more of. Lastly I would also recommend fasting the dog one day a week, this also helps to cleanse the system.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri May 13, 2005 9:40 pm

I would also look into trying the Nature's Variety Venison, www.naturesvariety.com. If you can find the Timberwolf, try the Ocean Blue, Wilderness Elk and Dakot Bison. They don't use any of the common grains.

I would do fish oil over flax. The foods have the omega 3 & 6 fatty acids waaaaaay out of balance. You need to give the omega 3's(fish oil) every day to counter balance the over supplementation of 6.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:16 pm

barbponys wrote:
I would do fish oil over flax. The foods have the omega 3 & 6 fatty acids waaaaaay out of balance. You need to give the omega 3's(fish oil) every day to counter balance the over supplementation of 6.

Did you mean this as a general statement or regarding the foods you listed?

Regarding the Wellness, Daisy has allergies a little and she did not do as well on the F&SP as the lamb or chicken Super 5's. With all of that fish I figured that her coat would have looked beter than it did. Granted it was mostly during Winter when she was on it so the food may not have been the issue but I think had a hand.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri May 13, 2005 10:21 pm

Fish meal has all the fat removed, so it isn't going to be that much of a benefit, in my opinion. If they use fresh fish, it's still out weighed by the grain.

I have yet to see a dog fail to improve with addition of fish oil. If it's a good quality, they do very well, very quickly. Most foods have WAAAAY to much omega 6. The fat sources tend to be canola, and sunflower oils......

Awesome_PIT

Postby Awesome_PIT » Mon May 16, 2005 7:15 pm

Barbponys, how much fish oil do i give him. I just bought some, but im unsure on how much he should have a day.
Thanks!

Return to “Health Issues”